Thread: Hello and Hello!

Red face Hello and Hello!

Hi everyone!

I'm new to DSLR photography and have bought a Canon 60D with 18 - 200mm f3.5-5.6 lens to start off with.

Hope to learn more tips and gain new advice from all of you!.

And By The Way, I would Like to Buy a Macro Lens trying to learn "food Photography"

Thought of Some Lenses but Do not know which Lens are - Value For Money - Good "performance"
    1) Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro
    2) Tamron SP AF 60mm F/2 Di II LD IF Macro
    3) Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro
    4) Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro

I am considering this few Lenses as I've heard that they are quite Good and Reasonable. As i am a student, I'm kind of a tight budget below $800. Can you advice me which Lens should i Choose?

Thanks,
    Ryan Lim D.X

Default Re: Hello and Hello!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Lim Ding Xian View Post
    Hi everyone!

I'm new to DSLR photography and have bought a Canon 60D with 18 - 200mm f3.5-5.6 lens to start off with.

And By The Way, I would Like to Buy a Macro Lens trying to learn "food Photography"

Thought of Some Lenses but Do not know which Lens are - Value For Money - Good "performance"

I am considering this few Lenses as I've heard that they are quite Good and Reasonable. As i am a student, I'm kind of a tight budget below $800. Can you advice me which Lens should i Choose?

Thanks,
    Ryan Lim D.X
    Hi, Welcome to CS..

I am not a canon user...But i think if budget is there can try the Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro ..

You can also start with your 18 - 200mm f3.5-5.6 lens.. they can take nice food photo too...

alternative you can rental those lens out to have a try first.. and you will find out which lens you like more..

Hope it help...
    Nikon D5000 - 18-55mm l 55-200mm l 35mm f1.8g l Grip
    My FlickR l Google+

Welcome here.
    Canon EOS 550D | EF 40mm F2.8 STM Pancake

Hi everyone!

Thanks,
    Ryan Lim D.X
    I would think that you could start off with a 50mm f1.8, which was only S$1xx.

But seriously, you could just use your 18-200mm for food photography easily. There really is no need to upgrade or buy any new lens at all. Just use your kit lens and see which range suits you best, before going to buying new lenses. And I would imagine that a flash might be more useful to you now if you are going to shoot in darker environment, like in the restaurant.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Wink Re: Hello and Hello!

Thank Guys. And 1 More thing, I've Heard from My schoolmates about "Light Painting" which I know is use Light to "draw/paint' something in a photo. I've seen the photos of their work and its quite Beautiful. No offense but, Can you spare me some Tip and techniques about "Light - Painting" if any?

Appreciate It,
    Thanks
    Ryan Lim D.X

Hi everyone!

Thanks,
    Ryan Lim D.X
    Oh I didn't get to see tamron 90mm f2.8 here
    Think this lens not too bad. Used is around 400+?(not too sure abt the price)
    Canon| Tokina(UWA) | newly added a Tamron(walkabout)

Quote Originally Posted by kelchew View Post
    Tamron 90mm? Wow. I heard of that Lens Before. My Uncle Uses it Frequently and he said its quite a Decent Lens, But I didn't add to my List because I think its abit too "pro" for me and i Would just like to stick to my Kit Lens and Maybe, Get a "Budget" Macro Lens. Anyway, Thanks for your Suggestion!

Thank Guys. And 1 More thing, I've Heard from My schoolmates about "Light Painting" which I know is use Light to "draw/paint' something in a photo. I've seen the photos of their work and its quite Beautiful. No offense but, Can you spare me some Tip and techniques about "Light - Painting" if any?

Appreciate It,
    Thanks
    Ryan Lim D.X
    No offence here: click here...This is 1 very important lesson to learn.

Used 90 f2.8 is closer to ~$500, check out the B&S

Tamron 90mm? Wow. I heard of that Lens Before. My Uncle Uses it Frequently and he said its quite a Decent Lens, But I didn't add to my List because I think its abit too "pro" for me and i Would just like to stick to my Kit Lens and Maybe, Get a "Budget" Macro Lens. Anyway, Thanks for your Suggestion!
    No lens is too pro...If you want a budget macro, consider Raynox 150 or Raynox 250. Please take note that this is not a lens, but an macro adaptor. This will clip onto your lens in front. looks like this. This cost (IIRC) ~150, check out the mass sales

You may want to check out this thread: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threa...Macro-On-APS-C
    and the subsection for Macro and closeup.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Lim Ding Xian

It's not 'pro'. What lens counts as pro then? canon 100mmL?

It's a good lens and if it can serve your purpose, why not? It's not ridiculously expensive or anything..
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

Do it the other way around: learn about food photography, try with your current lens .. and you might come to the conclusion that you can skip the Macro lens. For food photography to should rather look into tripod and flash, diffusers, light setup in order to create the light that you want / need.
    Focus on one topic first. I understand that it's exciting to have a new toy and to snap around and be overwhelmed by effects and whatnot. But first learn the basics of taking pictures, the terms and functions, operating your camera, exposure and composition etc. Once you got this it is easier for you to venture into special topics. And you might notice that it does not always require special gear to do special things
    EOS

hi and welcome to CS ...
    think start using your 18-200 first
    always outuse your setup before buying new stuffs.
    the BBB virus is very poisonous and expensive.
    so mastery of your current kit is your best option.

90mm for food photography might be a wee bit too tight. Sometime I find 50mm quite tight already. I would have use my 28mm. Hahahaha. But to TS, use your 18-200mm first. Forget about all the other lens.

Then buy a Raynox, and try out macro if you want, but note that it will be manual focusing and is really not that easy to use. Do read our stickies... they have lots of information and tips to share...
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Hi everyone!

Thanks,
    Ryan Lim D.X
    I don't think so most of all lens can cost more than your budget.You can try go camera workshop and ask.I'll be there also.

Blog Entries

Hello welcome to cs..

I believe your 18-200 can use to take food also?

Don't waste the money..
    Lousy de My Flickr

Do you need a macro lens for food photography ? I think most normal lens can get pretty near enough without macro range, unless your food specimen is as small
    as a bug ?

Hi everyone!

Thanks,
    Ryan Lim D.X
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw