Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Advice on buying a cheap(<1K) wide angle zoom for a Nikon APS-C body

Default Re: Advice on buying a cheap(<1K) wide angle zoom for a Nikon APS-C body

hmmm... very good advise from of of u guys.. reali appreicated it alot.

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra

I personally feel that the Toki 11-16 is sharper than the Nikon 10-24. I also prefer the solid build and the AF clutch ring.
    If it was my choice between these 3 lenses, I'd take the Toki in a heartbeat... doesn't hurt that it's also the cheapest of the 3
    The price of the 10-24mm (nikon) doesn't justify when cheaper and equally capabilities (or better) lenses are out there.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

Default Re: Advice on buying a cheap(<1K) wide angle zoom for a Nikon APS-C body

Thanks a lot for all the grate feedback! you guys rock!

I think i'll be going for the tokina 11-16. Would like to get the sigma (because its a bit cheaper and its 10mm) but i read that its a bit softer than the tokina. So i think the tokina is the choice here.

However i still have a bit of a hard time deciding whether i should go for the Tokina 12-24 f/4 DX or the 11-16?

Its hard (as i have never used any UWA lens before...) for me to imagine the difference between 11m and 12mm. but from what you guys are saying and whats said on the web by many, i believe the 11-16 is sharper and has a better build quality.

PS:
    To give you some more information about my gear, i use a D5100 body. And own the kit lens (18-55) and 50mm 1.8 AF-D prime. Don't think i will upgrade my body anytime soon. So i will be on DX for the foreseeable future.

Thanks again for all the helpful responses.

Quote Originally Posted by tuxwithacamera
    Thanks a lot for all the grate feedback! you guys rock!

I think i'll be going for the tokina 11-16. Would like to get the sigma (because its a bit cheaper and its 10mm) but i read that its a bit softer than the tokina. So i think the tokina is the choice here.

However i still have a bit of a hard time deciding whether i should go for the Tokina 12-24 f/4 DX or the 11-16?

Its hard (as i have never used any UWA lens before...) for me to imagine the difference between 11m and 12mm. but from what you guys are saying and whats said on the web by many, i believe the 11-16 is sharper and has a better build quality.

PS:
    To give you some more information about my gear, i use a D5100 body. And own the kit lens (18-55) and 50mm 1.8 AF-D prime. Don't think i will upgrade my body anytime soon. So i will be on DX for the foreseeable future.

Thanks again for all the helpful responses.
    Good choice, just don't panic when u cannot AF, it's like that de.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye

Not sure abt 11-16, but Tokina 12-24 has a version2 w a BIM. So it can AF with the motorless bodies. Unfortunately it costs more. Haven't really noticed any on sale on BnS, not that I've been looking hard
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    hmm not sure about this but i thought 11-16 have BIM as its a DX lens?

EDIT: my bad, it probably don't have a BIM.

If you want an ultrawide zoom for your Nikon DX DSLR, this is my top suggestion as of 2008. (For the D40, D40x or D60, you still need the Nikkor 12-24mm for autofocus, and for Canon, I'd get the excellent Canon 10-22mm.) - http://www.kenrockwell.com/tokina/11-16mm.htm
    Last edited by tuxwithacamera; 10th September 2011 at 03:42 PM.

AF is something I can forgo for UWA. But still, it's up to you. Take my words with a pinch of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Not sure abt 11-16, but Tokina 12-24 has a version2 w a BIM. So it can AF with the motorless bodies. Unfortunately it costs more. Haven't really noticed any on sale on BnS, not that I've been looking hard
    Really... Mmm... need to do more research on the Tokina 12-24mm.. thanks for the information...
    Nikon D5000 - 18-55mm l 55-200mm l 35mm f1.8g l Grip
    My FlickR l Google+

AF is something I can forgo for UWA. But still, it's up to you. Take my words with a pinch of salt.
    I usually do MF with my kit lens if i am taking a landscape/arch shot. So i think it won't be a problem. but i miss AF on my 50mm.

Quote Originally Posted by tuxwithacamera View Post
    I usually do MF with my kit lens if i am taking a landscape/arch shot. So i think it won't be a problem. but i miss AF on my 50mm.
    UWA use is not limited to landscapes, what if you want the AF for other shoots?

Quote Originally Posted by spree86

I'll apply the same hyper focusing method if I need all in focus, or else just guessimate, at such short focal length, it's a little hard to get foreground not in focus even at F/2.8.

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Never really thought much about it. But i guess i would be doing what i do with my 50mm AF-D. I use the live view and do the focusing manually. But it takes me about 30 - 60 sec to do this, which sucks because sometimes the subject moves away

However, i decided on buying a UWA to overcome the limitations i face when i am shooting landscapes/arch.

Do you guys have any tips for manual focusing?

Quote Originally Posted by tuxwithacamera
    Never really thought much about it. But i guess i would be doing what i do with my 50mm AF-D. I use the live view and do the focusing manually. But it takes me about 30 - 60 sec to do this, which sucks because sometimes the subject moves away

However, i decided on buying a UWA to overcome the limitations i face when i am shooting landscapes/arch.

DD123 wrote a wonderful article on hyper focusing. Try searching his posts you should be able to find one. Or wait for him to pop by this thread

DD123 wrote a wonderful article on hyper focusing. Try searching his posts you should be able to find one. Or wait for him to pop by this thread
    I think this the article...

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threa...ighlight=DD123
    Nikon D5000 - 18-55mm l 55-200mm l 35mm f1.8g l Grip
    My FlickR l Google+

Quote Originally Posted by tuxwithacamera View Post

Quote Originally Posted by jas1984 View Post

Thanks guys! will check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by jas1984
    Thanks man.

Blog Entries

Here you go...

http://darthbertz.blogspot.com/2010/...nto-focus.html

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Thanks !

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123