Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on buying a cheap(<1K) wide angle zoom for a Nikon APS-C body

Default Re: Advice on buying a cheap(<1K) wide angle zoom for a Nikon APS-C body

Quote Originally Posted by dardar View Post
    i using tokina 12-24
    so far only edge will get distorted badly centre wont be much different i feel. sometime getting distortion is hard
    Ya, mostly is the edge...but the last thing I want to try is to position someone's belly, cheek near the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Very well said Took me very long to learn that over the course of my shooting
    But with UWA, you are never close enough. Once, nearly step/fall into a pond (was shooting water lilies)
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

TS. From the way you describe your situation, Tokina 11-16 should meet your needs nicely. I have hear some users swear by it. however, do try to compare the 2 lenses of your choice for its distortion before you made your purchase.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

Default Re: Advice on buying a cheap(<1K) wide angle zoom for a Nikon APS-C body

If you really need a UWA, get Tokina 11-16 because it is simple "No Horse Run~!"
    http://www.akkuaphotography.com

Quote Originally Posted by tuxwithacamera View Post
    Hi all, I just got started (been a couple of months and i am really digging it!) with photography and i feel like i need a new lens

Most of the shots that i end up liking tend to be landscape/architecture shots that i take with my 18-55 kit lens. But i tend to find the kit lens limiting at times. So i want to invest in some thing that would give me better quality (shorter focal length, sharper images, better colors..etc).

I don't mind getting a used lens. And i can do without AF and VR (as i mostly shoot on a tripod with VR off and use MF). And i don't think i need a really fast lens either (i tend shoot at f8 or smaller anyways so..) I've been thinking about the tokina 11-16 or 12-16. But i am not sure whether thats the best choice here. May be there are old MF lenses that match my needs?
    Id been shooting for quite a while and im still relying very much on my 18-105 kit whenever im too lazy to carry lotsa gears with me.
    But i still went on and got the Tokina 11-16. In the beginning, i find that its a bit too wide for my liking but continue to play with it.
    Now i simply love this lens. Fast and sharp, it really gives me a whole new feel for the pics that it produces. Would recommend it too.
    Can check out this link for pics that others took with the lens and decide for yourself if it caters to your need. Hope this will help.
    Cheers and keep shooting!!!!

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threa...2.8-User-Group
    Shoot first, think later

For threads like this, one lens tends to pop up more than the others and that's Tokina 11-16mm. It's one of the best UWA lens for cropped bodies. If you dont intend to play with filters, then I will suggest this lens. If you intend to and wish to keep everything within $1k, then I'm afraid you may have to look at alternatives, like Tokina 12-24mm f4 and the Sigma 10-20mm lenses, etc.
    D200

Quote Originally Posted by dardar View Post
    i using tokina 12-24
    so far only edge will get distorted badly centre wont be much different i feel. sometime getting distortion is hard
    You're referring to curvilinear distortion that is a characteristic of that particular brand/model of lens. i.e. the lens does not render straight objects as 100% straight when they are near the sides of the frame.

But the earlier comments were about perspective distortion due to getting really close to subject when using UWA.
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by bruggink
    For threads like this, one lens tends to pop up more than the others and that's Tokina 11-16mm. It's one of the best UWA lens for cropped bodies. If you dont intend to play with filters, then I will suggest this lens. If you intend to and wish to keep everything within $1k, then I'm afraid you may have to look at alternatives, like Tokina 12-24mm f4 and the Sigma 10-20mm lenses, etc.
    Y can't u play with filter with this lens? I'm using both sq filters and CPL on this lens happily.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    Y can't u play with filter with this lens? I'm using both sq filters and CPL on this lens happily.
    Sounds like the point was to do with price. With the Toki 11-16 costing fairly close to 1K brand new, that leaves precious little $ for filters and the like.

Well TS, no need to get so confuse. Decide on which one, get the lens, mount and start shooting ord. The rest can always think later.. Haha..
    Shoot first, think later

Quote Originally Posted by tehcbing View Post
    Well TS, no need to get so confuse. Decide on which one, get the lens, mount and start shooting ord. The rest can always think later.. Haha..
    Agreed!!!... Get the toki 11-16... i also looking at that one too... stupid virus.. haiz...
    Nikon D5000 - 18-55mm l 55-200mm l 35mm f1.8g l Grip
    My FlickR l Google+

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra

Sounds like the point was to do with price. With the Toki 11-16 costing fairly close to 1K brand new, that leaves precious little $ for filters and the like.
    Ah, that makes sense. But it also sounded like advising to avoid lens like sigma 12-24mm where u almost can't place filter at all.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

Wow.. so many Tokina 11-16 fans.

I prefer Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 because:

Better for my pocket, 500+ for second hand, 700-800 Brand New. Ebay is selling $610!
    Better Range, 10mm and 11mm is quite alot of difference to me. its not 1mm its 10% FOV
    Good performance
    Dose not vignette on my cokin P wide holder. I've heard that the tokina one does. But I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by chiangkxv View Post
    Wow.. so many Tokina 11-16 fans.

I prefer Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 because:

Better for my pocket, 500+ for second hand, 700-800 Brand New. Ebay is selling $610!
    Better Range, 10mm and 11mm is quite alot of difference to me. its not 1mm its 10% FOV
    Good performance
    Dose not vignette on my cokin P wide holder. I've heard that the tokina one does. But I'm not sure.
    i recommend the 11-16 because TS owns a nikon. if it's a canon, it will be the fantabulous 10-22~

the 10-22 is at a slightly premium price but all is worth it when you see the photos produce by it.

Hi,

wanted to get a UWA lens from sigma to try out.
    Pondering btw a)10-20mm 4-5.6 & b)10-20mm 3.5.
    a) is selling ard $610, b) selling ard $780.

I'm not sure which one I need. Pls advise which is more worthwhile to get.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by benimaru17 View Post
    Hi,

wanted to get a UWA lens from sigma to try out.
    Pondering btw a)10-20mm 4-5.6 & b)10-20mm 3.5.
    a) is selling ard $610, b) selling ard $780.

I'm not sure which one I need. Pls advise which is more worthwhile to get.

Thanks.
    If you are not sure which one you need, you probably don't need one
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

if we dun talk about <1k. is the nikon 10-24mm a better len? can anyone advise. i thought of tokina 11-16, nikon 12-24 and nikon 10-24. any advise between this 3 lens?

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    I'm glad at least someone like you read my point.
    D200

Quote Originally Posted by ericcf View Post
    if we dun talk about <1k. is the nikon 10-24mm a better len? can anyone advise. i thought of tokina 11-16, nikon 12-24 and nikon 10-24. any advise between this 3 lens?
    If you need a fast lens, get Tokina 11-16.
    If you need versatility (multi-purposes), 12-24, 10-24 make pretty good choices.
    If you are a UWA freak that believes mm in difference counts, then get 10-24.

All 3 lenses are good UWA lenses but I have to say the best lens is always in your own hands, provided if you know how to use.
    D200

Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    Ah, that makes sense. But it also sounded like advising to avoid lens like sigma 12-24mm where u almost can't place filter at all.
    Hahaha you interpret differently that's all...

Quote Originally Posted by ericcf View Post
    I personally feel that the Toki 11-16 is sharper than the Nikon 10-24. I also prefer the solid build and the AF clutch ring.
    If it was my choice between these 3 lenses, I'd take the Toki in a heartbeat... doesn't hurt that it's also the cheapest of the 3

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast