Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: elinchrom or bowen

Default elinchrom or bowen

hi all experts out there, need you guys to share some experiences with me...

i bet you guys hv used either elinchrom or bowen studios lights before for studio shoots...

here's the qn...what's the difference?is it juz the brand or the 2 different brand are design for different purposes?

tks!

I personnally feel that Elinchrom's flash have a softer flash(softer shadow and hightlight) while Bowen have a harsher flash( stronger hightlight and shadow). I notice this while both are using open reflactors.

elinchrom have a more consistent color temperature output per flash than bowen.
    elinchrome is more high tech in term os its r & d. bowen design have stayed very similar over the years.
    bowen tend to be warmer and color temperature is not as consistent per shot.

but bowen are built like tanks and very durable.

tks YQT and zekai.... greatly appreciated!!
    the rest of the expert...do u guys share the same view??

Quote Originally Posted by zekai
    elinchrom have a more consistent color temperature output per flash than bowen.
    elinchrome is more high tech in term os its r & d. bowen design have stayed very similar over the years.
    bowen tend to be warmer and color temperature is not as consistent per shot.

but bowen are built like tanks and very durable.

elinchroms are more 'refined' while bowens are like workhorses.

i concur the part about color temperature. elinchroms are more consistent while bowens usually are more warmer. if you use them together, most probably u'll have to gel up one of them to match up.

also, older bowens you have to manually dump the charge if you wanna stop down the charge. dono about the newer ones though

of course..nothing beats a broncolor i guess..hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Stereobox
    elinchroms are more 'refined' while bowens are like workhorses.

i concur the part about color temperature. elinchroms are more consistent while bowens usually are more warmer. if you use them together, most probably u'll have to gel up one of them to match up.

also, older bowens you have to manually dump the charge if you wanna stop down the charge. dono about the newer ones though

of course..nothing beats a broncolor i guess..hehe
    anyone knows if the newer models of Bowens need to 'dump the charge'.

your last para, or balcar, i heard that in term of innovativeness, broncolor and balcar are at the fore front.

Zekai's views are what I experience. Bowen are workhose, where Elinchrom are good at exposure and colour temperature.

if got chance i'll prefer balcars.. if not, then bowens..
    sigh.

vince123123
    Guests

not necessary to "dump the charge"

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    anyone knows if the newer models of Bowens need to 'dump the charge'.

your last para, or balcar, i heard that in term of innovativeness, broncolor and balcar are at the fore front.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    not necessary to "dump the charge"
    clarification. does it remains a good practice to "dump the charge"?

perhaps electrical engineers would like to comment.

vince123123
    Guests

i meant the newer models no need to dump the charge before you can dial down the power.

clarification. does it remains a good practice to "dump the charge"?

perhaps electrical engineers would like to comment.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    i meant the newer models no need to dump the charge before you can dial down the power.
    for newer models, what about 'dumping the charge' before switching off the power?

for newer models, what about 'dumping the charge' before switching off the power?
    i'll dump the charge immediately after i switch the power off, but gota be fast. though i've come across strobes which were finely in use for years without ever dumping the charge after off-ing.

if shooting outside where there's alot of people movement, i'll try n avoid unnecessary dumping.

but would really like to hear from the electrical engineers' say about this.

use balcars lah.. auto dump when u off.
    sigh.

the elinchroms give you very fine adjustments to your exposures (the previous Style series used a slider, the newer models go to .1 of a stop if I remember correctly)
    That alone makes me an elinchrom fan

most new 'digital ready' flash strobes will have fine tuning in terms of point-something stops. films are more tolerant in terms of exposure, but in digital, according to the manufacturers, sometimes merely a difference of point-something stop will result in a burn-out. but..so far...working in 1/2stops no problem?

that said, personally the elinchrom freestyle is a very versatile light!

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Clown
    use balcars lah.. auto dump when u off.
    balcars cost too much lah.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Stereobox
    i'll dump the charge immediately after i switch the power off, but gota be fast. though i've come across strobes which were finely in use for years without ever dumping the charge after off-ing.

if shooting outside where there's alot of people movement, i'll try n avoid unnecessary dumping.

but would really like to hear from the electrical engineers' say about this.
    dump 'immediately after' switching off power. not tried before.

Default German Flash Heads

Check out this German Studio Flash Heads
    Multiblitz
    Been around since Post WWII. Hot favourite here in sunny island in the 90s. used by leading studios n Top Photogs.

http://www.multiblitz.com/en/index.html

I could be reading the wrong unspoken fact here - if elinchrome are stronger in accuracy and bowen in built strength = does this mean elinchromes are more prone to failure or inability to do like engeriser bunny to keep on going and going. Given that most home users never overwork in terms of day to day usage, they could because of lack of understand stress out the lights more than a working studio.

Namely trying to video fashsion 5 frames per seconds shoot with normal studio flash set up and not with multiple head assemblies. Using them once every 3 to 4 months or longer. Bowens that I have access to tends to over heat if pressed to work to hard - it could be that the passive cooling out here is not high enough after all they were designed in UK where room temp is about 24 C with humidity of less than 70%.

Grin would love to work with balcars....... man their standard reflectors have this wonderful beaten pattern which I esitmate to give very even (softer) light.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast