Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just want to greet everyone here + Lens advise.

Default Just want to greet everyone here + Lens advise.

Hi all,

I'm a newbie here, but has been reading the postings at the newbies corner for a few days. Very informative. Thanks all.

Picking up this new hobby as I'm no longer young (late 30s) and believe this will be a good activity to pick up.

I'm not contented to buy a DSLR and always set to automatic, hence will open my heart to read your reviews and sharing in this forum.
    Please continue to share.

My equipment:
    Nikon D5000 + 18-55mm kit lens.

Looking to grab a Sigma 18-200mm @ $620 or 18-250mm @ $950(still thinking).

Any advise???

Default Re: Just want to greet everyone here + Lens advise.

both the Sigma 18-200mm & 18-250mm is an overlap of your 18-55mm

if you are buying either, then consider selling your 18-5mm and get a 50mm f1.8 prime

Quote Originally Posted by CubbyT
    Hi all,

I'm a newbie here, but has been reading the postings at the newbies corner for a few days. Very informative. Thanks all.

Picking up this new hobby as I'm no longer young (late 30s) and believe this will be a good activity to pick up.

I'm not contented to buy a DSLR and always set to automatic, hence will open my heart to read your reviews and sharing in this forum.
    Please continue to share.

My equipment:
    Nikon D5000 + 18-55mm kit lens.

Looking to grab a Sigma 18-200mm @ $620 or 18-250mm @ $950(still thinking).

Any advise???
    Hello What is your shooting preference? Is there something with the kit lens that is limiting you? Is it zoom range?
    Canon EOS 600D | BBB virus carrier

Hi,

Yes, the zoom range. I believe at my level, I can only know this(zooming). My shooting ranges from landscape to ball games, and also pets. So getting 18-200 or 18-250 as an "All-in-One" walkabout lens.

don't forget still got Tamron 18-270 (more choices )
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike
    don't forget still got Tamron 18-270 (more choices )
    Ah yes. The Tamron is a good lens for TS's needs. If u need greater zoom, give a good look at the Canon 50-250mm. Very affordable zoom lens. Downside is u will lose the width (18-55) and the need to change lens. If u don't like changing lens, all 18-2xx lens are great for your need

Just curious for TS, have u tried a prime lens? U mentioned about ball games. A fast lens might be good for this too. Haha

Quote Originally Posted by CubbyT View Post
    Hi,

Yes, the zoom range. I believe at my level, I can only know this(zooming). My shooting ranges from landscape to ball games, and also pets. So getting 18-200 or 18-250 as an "All-in-One" walkabout lens.
    18-200 or 270mm lens came with a compromise in pic quality though. I would propose getting a combo set... using your existing 18-55mm and get a 55-200mm lens (I believe it to be cheaper and of excellent quality). Of course you would lose some flexibility of a 18-200mm or 18-270m lens.

Anyway for ball games or fast sport in low lighting, you might need a fast lens. What I can think of is a 70-200mm f2.8 VRII. That lens is incredible for sport photography (but very very expensive).
    Last edited by rhino123; 6th September 2011 at 03:55 PM.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by Tucksoon View Post
    Ah yes. The Tamron is a good lens for TS's needs. If u need greater zoom, give a good look at the Canon 50-250mm. Very affordable zoom lens. Downside is u will lose the width (18-55) and the need to change lens. If u don't like changing lens, all 18-2xx lens are great for your need

Just curious for TS, have u tried a prime lens? U mentioned about ball games. A fast lens might be good for this too. Haha
    Bro... TS is using Nikon and not Canon.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123

Bro... TS is using Nikon and not Canon.
    Oops my bad! Is there is Nikor lens of similar range? No disrespect to Nikon bros. Honest mistake

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tucksoon View Post
    Oops my bad! Is there is Nikor lens of similar range? No disrespect to Nikon bros. Honest mistake
    welcome to cs =)

yup nikon got 55-200
    Lousy de My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by luckyorange

welcome to cs =)

yup nikon got 55-200
    Hehe paiseh paiseh

Tamron 70-300 vc usd, superb lens for the budget user.

Blog Entries

for my own case, I think 18-105 is better =x... (that's for me) haha..

and my combo its either the 18-105 and 50mm or the 35mm prime..
    Lousy de My Flickr

Hi all,

since talking about lens here, would like to tag on and ask a newbie question too. Bear with me pls.
    For the 18-55mm lens, i observed that they have a limited aperture of f3.5-5.6. Is it difficult to achieve background blur with such lens due to its aperture?
    I kinda like background blur effects so I hope to seek advice in this!

Thnks newbie here too!

CubbyT, hope you dun mind me tagging in your thread

Quote Originally Posted by iamthatman View Post
    Hi all,

since talking about lens here, would like to tag on and ask a newbie question too. Bear with me pls.
    For the 18-55mm lens, i observed that they have a limited aperture of f3.5-5.6. Is it difficult to achieve background blur with such lens due to its aperture?
    I kinda like background blur effects so I hope to seek advice in this!

Thnks newbie here too!

CubbyT, hope you dun mind me tagging in your thread
    Hi bro. It's possible to achieve out of focus shots with any lens including kit 18-55mm. My humble experience tells me prime lens and lens with fix aperture (f/2.8) can help you achieve them with less effort and skills. For the most affordable experience try the 50mm f/1.8

Thank you all for the advises. Image quality of 18-200mm is not as good as the 55-200mm is it? Next, how to differentiate which is fast lens?

Btw, i will get a dry box also. AIPO EX38, I think.

Thank you all for the advises. Image quality of 18-200mm is not as good as the 55-200mm is it? Next, how to differentiate which is fast lens?
    You can find tons of reviews online that analyze and test lenses. Check the details, e.g. on photozone.de.
    A 'fast lens' is a lens with (constant) wide maximum aperture, those with f/2.8 or wider. The terms come from the fact that those lenses let in more light, hence allowing faster shutter speed.
    Last edited by Octarine; 7th September 2011 at 09:57 AM.
    EOS

Btw, i will get a dry box also. AIPO EX38, I think.
    Bro Octarine has explained the first part. Maybe I can offer a simple tip for the second part. It's a dry cabinet, not dry box right? Get a dry cabinet hor, dry box can skip

Quote Originally Posted by photoart View Post
    both the Sigma 18-200mm & 18-250mm is an overlap of your 18-55mm

if you are buying either, then consider selling your 18-5mm and get a 50mm f1.8 prime
    agreed. 50mm prime is gd.

Oh ya. It's dry cabinet.

Hmmmmm... I will do more research on the lenses before confirming....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast