Canon Photo marathon tips
1. Ensure that your equipment is ready to shoot. Check lens, camera, flash and batteries.
2. Ensure that your mind is primed for the event. wake up early and have a good breakfast.
3. Train your mind to see by looking at conceptual pictures and themes.
4. Bring a unique small prop that you could use to enhance the meaning of a picture. I have big diamond ( luxury, love, quality ) and big pencil ( funny, education ).
5. Try to check out the Canon websites beforehand to see if any possible themes might be present on the sites. This is what I call studying the 10 year series and spotting exam questions.
6. Two ways to win, win on very good theme content or use very interesting photography techniques to make an average theme be more striking.
Actual event tips
1. Ensure that your camera is set up for the jpg capture and not Raw as the contest doesnít accept Raw images and photoshopped / processed pics.
2. Ensure the correct white balance for your picture as the auto white balance may cancel the color that you might need for your shot.
3. Take time to think through the theme before going out to shoot.
4. Shoot fast and return fast as there will be many people queueing up to submit pics.
I usually submit after 1 hour at most. After that I can relax or help the others in my group.
Those with Canon systems can also get their equipment cleaned by the staff.
5. Ensure that you know what picture number to submit and have your NRIC to be verified.
6. As there is a one minute limit on submission, I always shoot till the last picture and submit the last one. That way i donít get mixed up as the image on the submitting laptop may seem unfamiliar to you. Some others copy the pics to a laptop and delete all but the submitting pic. Donít copy the pic onto a new card to submit as the submission laptop may reject it as processed.
7. Go in a group if you like the company of others. You can also share ideas and equipment or have an extra pair of helping hands. Go separate ways to shoot if you have to.
8. If you need models, try to get the most appropriate person. If not, get the most handsome or beautiful one you can. If pan asian or caucasian even better. Usually they are approachable, just email a picture to them for their help.
I will be going for the event on 10 Sept 2011.