Thread: Water Lily flower

Default Water Lily flower

I took this at a local park and would like to hear some CC.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    The composition and PP done
    2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    Giving the standard water lily a different look with glow
    3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    The sun was right above the sky. I need to look for a more shaded spot. No tripod nor flash used. Use want to see how best the shot can be with the camera settings.
    4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    Did some PP and hope to create an effect that makes the flower look like a painting.

Default Re: Water Lily flower

Very nice photograph.... but i think it looks a little over edited... but all in all very nice...

Blog Entries

I'll let the others comment but just want to let u know that this thread is being featured in Clubsnap Photography Community FB page
    http://www.facebook.com/ClubSNAP.Com...SNAP.Community

p/s love how the center is 'glowing' !
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

I like the center glow too...but *sorry*, I feel that it's abit "plasticky" in the center blue
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

If the objective is to make it look like a painting then it's a ways off. Your flower looks more like a digital "painting", it's too sharp and defined, especially the center.

Yes the glow is inviting and interpretation of subject is always in the control of the photographer. However I hope to point out what is the essence of a flower and often when in post processing, the difficulty is knowing when is enough and time to stop. That comes with experience and sticking to the theme of the shoot.

You've definitely improved much over the months and photographs. Keep it up!

Thank you for all the advices. I was busy and didn't have a chance to respond. Will work on all the suggestions given.

Quote Originally Posted by Bukitimah View Post
    Thank you for all the advices. I was busy and didn't have a chance to respond. Will work on all the suggestions given.
    looks like painting. nice eh.. lol

Hi, I think it is nice... Colour, contrast, composition all there. The color is rich too. What marco lens you using?

Doesn't work for me. Looks too artificial. Colour is good but too good perhaps. If that is your style, work on it.
    I'm a PCW in newbie section. Hi. Welcome! :)

Makes a good illustration.

Quote Originally Posted by Bukitimah View Post

I took this at a local park and would like to hear some CC.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    The composition and PP done
    2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    Giving the standard water lily a different look with glow
    3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    The sun was right above the sky. I need to look for a more shaded spot. No tripod nor flash used. Use want to see how best the shot can be with the camera settings.
    4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    Did some PP and hope to create an effect that makes the flower look like a painting.
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

Though I agree that it is kind of too sharp and too colourful, but I like it.

I like the yellow glow from the centre and how the violet complement it.

If yr objective is get painting like i think its way off. Painting does not need such vibrant colours. It also should have some rough/noise/coarse...dun know how to explain...basically its too sharp and clear.

But if yr objective is digital and surreal then its spot on.

Of course the lily flower is not like that. When I first saw the effect, I like the centre glow and decided to PP it. I then decide to change the color a bit more.

It is just another way of 'expression' but I will be concentrating more on nature photography.