Thread: Tips for photoshoot with cartoon characters like Disney?

Default Tips for photoshoot with cartoon characters like Disney?

I queued for 4 hours for this one photoshoot today with mickey for my son. Everything happened so fast. We were ushered up the stage, my wife and child standing side by side with Mickey, one shot and off you go. Just wondering is there any technique for these kinds of photoshoot? Should I use prime lens like 50mm f1.4/f1.8 to get better picture (Actually I am a newbie to DSLR. I was wondering 50mm f1.8 produces a bokeh at f1.8. If I use it in photoshoot and aim the focus point at my son, will my wife and Mickey faces be blurred due to the DOF?)

Anyway, here is the blur picture which I sort of disappointed.

Default Re: Tips for photoshoot with cartoon characters like Disney?

Quote Originally Posted by maisatomai View Post
    I queued for 4 hours for this one photoshoot today with mickey for my son. Everything happened so fast. We were ushered up the stage, my wife and child standing side by side with Mickey, one shot and off you go. Just wondering is there any technique for these kinds of photoshoot? Should I use prime lens like 50mm f1.4/f1.8 to get better picture (Actually I am a newbie to DSLR. I was wondering 50mm f1.8 produces a bokeh at f1.8. If I use it in photoshoot and aim the focus point at my son, will my wife and Mickey faces be blurred due to the DOF?)

Anyway, here is the blur picture which I sort of disappointed.
    i think you have a hot spot there.

First of all, I applauded your patience to earn your son some precious childhood memories.

To answer you qn, yes you are right. You will risk blurring out mickey if you use f1.8 for the shot, because the dof is thin and the slightest shift from the focal plane will render the subject as oof.

And based on the lighting condition, you will need a flash to aid you in freezing motion and provide sufficient illumination. Why? Because you will want to at least shoot at f4.0 to 5.6, or even more if you get into the longer focal range. One tip is to shoot at wider angle where there is lesser background compression, which means less things will be oof even at wide aperture. However you do not want to shoot too wide either, as the perspective distortion will cause your subjects to look in-proportional.

the softness largely due to slow shutter speed and large aperture, you should up your ISO to 800, slightly noisy photo is always better than blur photo.

anyway, apply some USM at the post should help.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Thanks a lot for all replies. I will continue to improve for the sake of my younger child.