Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 92

Thread: Nikon, Canon?? (Question)

  1. #41

    Default Re: Nikon, Canon?? (Question)

    Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Hmm...
    Sounds more like you'd need a Sony (ie. A55 of A77). Ticks all the boxes.
    Maybe a Pentax (K5 or Kr) too, minus the articulating screen.


    Just open up your options and look at what is offered by the various brands (Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony, Olympus, Panasonic)
    Many of them do offer more features for the same amount of money.

    The D60 is a nice camera if you want to get a Canon. No wrong in getting it at all.
    Thx man.

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    neither. get a leica m9 immediately. best for beginners
    Thx.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucksoon View Post
    TS should head down shops and play with all listed cameras liao. At least homework is done
    Thx.

    Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    if your choice is narrowed down between Nikon and Canon, it will be simple, just flip a coin.
    or just head down to the showroom for a hands-on testing.
    Now with one more brand in Sony.. Hehe.

    Quote Originally Posted by chillicutter View Post
    Don only look in Nikon and Canon. There is also other brands that make fantastic cameras.
    Thx.

  2. #42
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Nikon, Canon?? (Question)

    As everyone had suggest, go down to the shops and play with the cameras first, then only get the one that you like. TS do yourself a favour though, answer the following question:

    1) Why DSLR? Can other format also work for you? (other format - mirrorless and SLT)

    2) (this question is closely linked to the first question) what type of photography are you interested in?

    3) What features is a must have in your camera;
    a) Video
    b) AF during liveview and video mode
    c) Articulating LCD
    d) fast fps
    e) number of MP (give yourself a range, eg 8MP to 18MP)
    f) Weather seal body
    g) Top panel
    h) build in stabilizer in your camera (note that if you have stabilizer in lens, you won't have stabilizer in camera)
    i) stabilizer in Lens (note that if you have stabilizer in camera, you won't have stabilizer in lens)
    j) Number of lens available
    (this list is not exhausive)

    4) Then ask yourself what features are good to have but not necessary essential for your usuage.
    a) Video
    b) AF during liveview and video mode
    c) Articulating LCD
    d) fast fps
    e) number of MP (give yourself a range, eg 8MP to 18MP)
    f) Weather seal body
    g) Top panel
    h) build in stabilizer in your camera (note that if you have stabilizer in lens, you won't have stabilizer in camera)
    i) stabilizer in Lens (note that if you have stabilizer in camera, you won't have stabilizer in lens)
    j) Number of lens available
    (this list is not exhausive)

    5) Finally ask yourself what features is something that you wouldn't care about.
    a) Video
    b) AF during liveview and video mode
    c) Articulating LCD
    d) fast fps
    e) number of MP (give yourself a range, eg 8MP to 18MP)
    f) Weather seal body
    g) Top panel
    h) build in stabilizer in your camera (note that if you have stabilizer in lens, you won't have stabilizer in camera)
    i) stabilizer in Lens (note that if you have stabilizer in camera, you won't have stabilizer in lens)
    j) Number of lens available
    (this list is not exhausive)

    By matching point 3, 4 and 5 together would give you roughly an idea of what is the camera you are looking at and what brand offers you all the items and features you need, would like to have or what you wouldn't care about.

    Then you can use these features to zoom in on a few cameras and makers, then read online reviews of the pro and cons of these cameras, finally head down to the shops and play around with them before finally deciding on which camera to get.

    Note that Canon and Nikon are not the only makers of cameras, there are other brands which are equally good and came in a great price. Finally, do not discount other formats of cameras that you will be surprise at their value and quality too.

    Happy hunting.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  3. #43
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Nikon, Canon?? (Question)

    Remember that with more control and better quality comes more restrictions. Some lenses are very good at what they are meant to do, but if they are jack of all trades, they will be master of none. A good portrait lens or low light lens with wide aperture will give you very nice background blur, but it will be very limited in focal length range (zoom) and most of the times, the best portrait lenses are prime lenses (no zoom). Lenses that give you a very big range of focal length (like the 18-200 or 18-270), will be compromised in image quality, as well smaller apertures (giving you very limited background blur).

    So you need to get lenses that are good according to the intended use, if IQ and a certain effect is your aim.

    Do not just think of the camera you are going to buy. You need to think of all the lenses you need as well as the accessories required. And the lenses you buy will cost many times the camera body. A decent setup to cover enough focal length, and a good range of purposes should run you around 4-5k.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 5th September 2011 at 03:02 PM.

  4. #44

    Default Re: Nikon, Canon?? (Question)

    Right nw I had come to a conclusion with all bro advise and help..

    Nikon d7000 - a gd frenz recommend it to me. He is using this model. So I suppose he will teach me..
    Sony a55 - a bro in here recommend it to me. Stating the feature is wat I'm looking for..
    Canon 600d - a bro in here recommend it to me. Stating the feature is wat I'm looking for..
    Canon 60d - a gd frenz intro it to me. He is using this model. So I suppose he will teach me..

    Ps. Looking a camera for long run.. As in no nd to upgard in let say 5-6yrs. Hehe

  5. #45
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Nikon, Canon?? (Question)

    Quote Originally Posted by kenzefizz View Post
    Right nw I had come to a conclusion with all bro advise and help..

    Nikon d7000 - a gd frenz recommend it to me. He is using this model. So I suppose he will teach me..
    Sony a55 - a bro in here recommend it to me. Stating the feature is wat I'm looking for..
    Canon 600d - a bro in here recommend it to me. Stating the feature is wat I'm looking for..
    Canon 60d - a gd frenz intro it to me. He is using this model. So I suppose he will teach me..

    Ps. Looking a camera for long run.. As in no nd to upgard in let say 5-6yrs. Hehe
    Good... you might want to wait for a while longer... I believe A77 is coming out (or had it came out already). It is one incredible camera.

    Other than that, head down to the shops and test these cameras that you have short listed and see which one you like best. be sure to look out for the following,

    1) Ergonomic (menu placement, buttons placement, user interface, grip size, grip depth)
    2) Weigh, and
    3) Overall size

    Btw... all the cameras you have listed are incredible cameras, able to take very very good photos. I am surprise that you did not add in the 7D to your list
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  6. #46

    Default Re: Nikon, Canon?? (Question)

    Most of the dslr can do the effect, I think most which fit in yr hand will be more important.
    So my advice go to the show room with yr friend try out the other dslr. And ask them when u don't know which button is for what.
    They using d7000 and 60d should be able to teach u basic.
    Good luck in choosing yr 1st dslr.
    Canon| Tokina(UWA) | newly added a Tamron(walkabout)

  7. #47
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    628

    Default Re: Nikon, Canon?? (Question)

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Not all photographers make the same rate as you. $50 an hour? That is quite low IMHO. Hope you can work your rate up to market rate soon.
    I don't really know the price TBH. I charge student price since yeah, I'm still student and I only just started a while back (plus peer pressure). Anyway, let's not get too engrossed in how much i charge.
    But again, how much should I aim for?

  8. #48
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    628

    Default Re: Nikon, Canon?? (Question)

    Quote Originally Posted by kenzefizz View Post
    Right nw I had come to a conclusion with all bro advise and help..

    Nikon d7000 - a gd frenz recommend it to me. He is using this model. So I suppose he will teach me..
    Sony a55 - a bro in here recommend it to me. Stating the feature is wat I'm looking for..
    Canon 600d - a bro in here recommend it to me. Stating the feature is wat I'm looking for..
    Canon 60d - a gd frenz intro it to me. He is using this model. So I suppose he will teach me..

    Ps. Looking a camera for long run.. As in no nd to upgard in let say 5-6yrs. Hehe
    If you're worried about learning the controls then you can read up the manual. Once you get to know your camera functions, you'll just be learning photography as a whole. So there isn't really a point buying a camera because "my friend will teach me".
    Again, does your Canon friend has more accessories or your Nikon friend? The equipments of one company can't be used on the body of another, most of the times. You'll be able to share equipments with the friend of the same brand, but not another. Since you're stuck more between Canikon than other brands, then maybe get the DSLR depending on which friend has more equipment s/he can share?
    I'll probably get trashed here for this, but when I had to choose between Canon and Nikon in the past, I chose Nikon simply because Nikon sounded more appealing to me. After all, f you can't feel good with your camera then you can't take good shots (theoretically)

  9. #49

    Default Re: Nikon, Canon?? (Question)

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Good... you might want to wait for a while longer... I believe A77 is coming out (or had it came out already). It is one incredible camera.

    Other than that, head down to the shops and test these cameras that you have short listed and see which one you like best. be sure to look out for the following,

    1) Ergonomic (menu placement, buttons placement, user interface, grip size, grip depth)
    2) Weigh, and
    3) Overall size

    Btw... all the cameras you have listed are incredible cameras, able to take very very good photos. I am surprise that you did not add in the 7D to your list
    Haha.. Having a hard time shortlisting all this Dslr.. 7D is cfm out.. Hehe.

    Wondering is A77 out yet? Anybody know?

    Was reading some info just nw.. "A77 vs D7000 vs 60D" frm a website.
    Seem like A77 is the Winner, D7000 is the runner up and, 60D is the 2nd runner up..? (no offense.)
    Regardless of the features and design and light. Isit??

  10. #50

    Default

    Like this u never going to buy ... Newer model come out from time to time. Don't just compare paper spec and features. Go mega stores to feel it. Do note on resale value as well when u upgrade and range and price of lens available.
    | 5Diii | 24 ii | 40 | 24-70 ii | 24-105 | 70-200 F4 IS | 270 ii | 600EX-RT |

  11. #51
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Nikon, Canon?? (Question)

    Quote Originally Posted by kenzefizz View Post
    Haha.. Having a hard time shortlisting all this Dslr.. 7D is cfm out.. Hehe.

    Wondering is A77 out yet? Anybody know?

    Was reading some info just nw.. "A77 vs D7000 vs 60D" frm a website.
    Seem like A77 is the Winner, D7000 is the runner up and, 60D is the 2nd runner up..? (no offense.)
    Regardless of the features and design and light. Isit??
    A77 should be out within these few months (better to wait for it)... Been seeing alot of its advertisement and it is a camera that would fill all your needs... like the A55, it is an alpha mount and so lens collection is pretty large... and I believe it can also mount the old minolta legacy lenses... it is definitely a great choice.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  12. #52

    Default

    Pick a day where you practically have nothing to do, go to every brand's showroom and feel the cameras.

    We can only give you specifications and our personal reviews of the dslrs. The rest is really up to your own preferences. Everyone got different hand size so the grip of a camera is important too.

  13. #53

    Default Re: Nikon, Canon?? (Question)

    Different camera offers different values. Value means different things to individuals.
    You just needs to understand which one appeals to you most. Theres no garantee that certain camera will give you better pictures over the other.

    For a beginner, I would say that any brand is a good choice.
    Alpha and Omega

  14. #54

    Default Re: Nikon, Canon?? (Question)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sgdevilzz View Post
    Pick a day where you practically have nothing to do, go to every brand's showroom and feel the cameras.

    We can only give you specifications and our personal reviews of the dslrs. The rest is really up to your own preferences. Everyone got different hand size so the grip of a camera is important too.
    Thx man I'm heading down to test d7000 ltr..

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    A77 should be out within these few months (better to wait for it)... Been seeing alot of its advertisement and it is a camera that would fill all your needs... like the A55, it is an alpha mount and so lens collection is pretty large... and I believe it can also mount the old minolta legacy lenses... it is definitely a great choice.
    Yes I spend the whole freaking nite comparing.. Last option/conclusion I came out is d7000 & a77

    But I would like to knw any rough guild hw much will A77 when launch..?

  15. #55

    Default Re: Nikon, Canon?? (Question)

    Quote Originally Posted by Atarandas View Post
    Different camera offers different values. Value means different things to individuals.
    You just needs to understand which one appeals to you most. Theres no garantee that certain camera will give you better pictures over the other.

    For a beginner, I would say that any brand is a good choice.
    Thx for ur advise.

  16. #56
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Nikon, Canon?? (Question)

    Quote Originally Posted by kenzefizz View Post
    Thx man I'm heading down to test d7000 ltr..



    Yes I spend the whole freaking nite comparing.. Last option/conclusion I came out is d7000 & a77

    But I would like to knw any rough guild hw much will A77 when launch..?
    It is selling at $1999 (I believe that is US currency) body + kit (16-50mm lens) at Amazon.com
    US$1099 for body + 18-55mm lens (http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4-m...-the-a77-price)

    I think from what I am seeing, it should be around S$1200 (with 18-55mm lens) and S$2200 (with 16-50mm lens). Of course I might be wrong (it is just a rough guide) - don't flame me if I got it wrong.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  17. #57

    Default Re: Nikon, Canon?? (Question)

    Quote Originally Posted by kenzefizz View Post
    But I would like to knw any rough guild hw much will A77 when launch..?
    The question is whether you need a DSLR now. Also ask yourself are you the type who will heart pain when new models arrive just after you purchase a gadget, if yes, I recommend you wait. The truth is there is never a good time to buy a gadget. Buy only you need. I guess the expected release for A77 is October/November before year end bonus season
    Canon EOS 600D | BBB virus carrier

  18. #58

    Default Re: Nikon, Canon?? (Question)

    The A77 is a beast...
    Alpha

  19. #59
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Nikon, Canon?? (Question)

    Quote Originally Posted by kenzefizz View Post
    Yes I spend the whole freaking nite comparing.. Last option/conclusion I came out is d7000 & a77

    But I would like to knw any rough guild hw much will A77 when launch..?
    Wah... whole night?
    Sounds like you're in a hurry to buy a DSLR ....!
    How did you narrow down your choices to these 2?
    Exploring! :)

  20. #60

    Default Re: Nikon, Canon?? (Question)

    Quote Originally Posted by kenzefizz View Post
    Thx man I'm heading down to test d7000 ltr..



    Yes I spend the whole freaking nite comparing.. Last option/conclusion I came out is d7000 & a77

    But I would like to knw any rough guild hw much will A77 when launch..?
    What you use?
    SnapSort? - just a brochure compilation imo. Look at some proper reviews from reputable review sites like dpreivew; ephotozine; imagingresource; etc

    btw, you left out this one :
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk5/

    Price is cheap now at ~$1500.


    D60 is a very capable camera, I wouldn't ding it that soon. Its the cheapest option compared to the D7K and A77.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •