Thread: PC laptop and Mac desktop

Default PC laptop and Mac desktop

hi all,
    i am currently a 100% pc user (except for iphone) and am thinking of switching to an imac. have been hearing very good things about it, from how it renders colours brilliantly, the ease of use of programs and strong builtin antivirus protection.

however, i am concerned that using a pc laptop (to download travel pics into when on the road) will pose compatibility problems with a mac desktop. for example,
    1) i was told that hard disk drives have to be reformatted to be mac friendly, and may not work for a pc.
    2) also, i have a pc-to-pc data transfer cable that transfers data pretty fast and well between my two pc laptops currently. will this also work for pc to mac transfers?
    3) i would have to buy one pc version of photoshop and one for mac.
    4) not sure if web-downloaded programs (eg. bittorrent, limewire, picasa etc will have a mac version?

i thought of switching laptops to mac too, but ipad just doesn't cut it without a usb port to transfer photos into. plus it doesn't have enough hard disk space. the macbook is too heavy and large for travel, so would prefer to stick to my trusty netbook.

if i were to stick to a pc desktop, would look for something imac-ish ie. all-in-one screen desktop, >21" monitor, dual-core minimum and lots of RAM. anyone have suggestions?

well i'm probably not the first person to face this dilemma, so hope amongst clubsnappers there are one or two of you who have successfully surmounted this problem.

Default Re: PC laptop and Mac desktop

I've heard that the colour reproduced is too good and rich than the original, just like the LCD on the camera always make the photo looks better, please confirm that on your own.

Software wise its the same for photoshop as far as i know. its just that win is mostly used for games and work, mac is mostly uses for visual and graphic applications.

About the antivirus, thats becoz there are more hackers attacking win sys than mac, mainly due to the market share. do you want to hit the larger user base or smaller?
    there might be a reason after all the marketing campaign by apple, their market share of mac is still less than 10%, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_s...rating_systems, whatever the reason please conclude on your own.

3) Version is different from win and mac, so need to pay twice i think.
    4) you need to check from the individual software provider if they support mac, just look it up on their respective website.

Quote Originally Posted by poolgirl View Post
    hi all,
    i am currently a 100% pc user (except for iphone) and am thinking of switching to an imac. have been hearing very good things about it, from how it renders colours brilliantly, the ease of use of programs and strong builtin antivirus protection.

however, i am concerned that using a pc laptop (to download travel pics into when on the road) will pose compatibility problems with a mac desktop. for example,
    1) i was told that hard disk drives have to be reformatted to be mac friendly, and may not work for a pc.
    2) also, i have a pc-to-pc data transfer cable that transfers data pretty fast and well between my two pc laptops currently. will this also work for pc to mac transfers?
    4) not sure if web-downloaded programs (eg. bittorrent, limewire, picasa etc will have a mac version?

i thought of switching laptops to mac too, but ipad just doesn't cut it without a usb port to transfer photos into. plus it doesn't have enough hard disk space. the macbook is too heavy and large for travel, so would prefer to stick to my trusty netbook.

if i were to stick to a pc desktop, would look for something imac-ish ie. all-in-one screen desktop, >21" monitor, dual-core minimum and lots of RAM. anyone have suggestions?

well i'm probably not the first person to face this dilemma, so hope amongst clubsnappers there are one or two of you who have successfully surmounted this problem.
    Nikon D700| 70-200mm f/2.8G VR2| 28-70mm f/2.8D| 85mm f/1.8G| 50mm f/1.8G| SB900/SB28| MB-D10

- For a PC user to start using Mac, you may also face difficulties getting used to the interface (and keyboard)

- I would like to point out that Mac's antivirus is not as strong as "advertised" (reason as stated by Alan). And the cases of hacking/virus on Mac is on the rise in the recent years.

- You may also want to read up about the all-in-one screen desktop, as it has it's own sets of "unique" problems. One of which I read about is overheating. If I were to pick a PC, I will still keep it to the "normal" tower design.

AFAIK, Mac uses a diff disk format (HFS) and you will (very likely) face problem if you are attempting a direct copy from Comp A to Comp B or B to A. But you can get pass this using an external HDD formatted in FAT32/FAT or by using 3rd party programs like MacDrive. (IIRC, Mac can Read NTFS, but not write...not sure if is still true)
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

ANS: For the first time, format the external drive with exFAT file format. Both Windows 7 and Mac can read/write from exFAT.
    ANS: You can always use an external drive if you do not need to transfer files across platforms too often.
    ANS: Yes, due to licensing issue you need to have 2 unique license for each machine.
    Bittorent has Mac version, not sure about the rest.

The iMac does render decent colors but they are as fake as most LCD TVs. No matter what screen you bought it is still very critical to get it properly calibrated.
    Fujifilm X-Pro2 Graphite, X-Pro1
    XF 14/2.8, 18/2, 23/2, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 60/2.4, 55-200/3.5-4.8

hi all,
    The colors are over-saturated, and just like a PC the screen needs calibration. Mac OS has poor to nonexistent antivirus protection, but that's because there are very few viruses written for it. That being said, it's a very wide-open OS and an easy target for hackers.

Should work fine.

You will need to use a LAN. Macs don't like serial connections.

Best to call Adobe to verify. AFAIK you are allowed to install on one laptop and one desktop, and the license should be cross-platform.

Most do. I doubt Picasa does though.

iPad is NOT a laptop. Please don't insult laptops that way.

Lots on the market now, from HP, Asus, Sony, Lenovo, etc.

Yes there are many, and you could have referenced their threads and looked at all the advice given instead of starting a new thread.
    Alpha

I believe if you use Bootcamp or other virtualisaton software, you should still be able to run your PC adobe PS on the Mac

thanks all. now im quite glad I didn't buy a Mac on impulse at the it show! rashkae thanks for responding even though u didn't think I should have started a new thread - I had a couple things to ask and figured it wouldn't all be in one place!

actually for the ipad, there is an adapter that you can use to transfer photos from your cf card or sd card into it. It is pretty nice to use the ipad as a digital album and portfolio, the display is crisp and clear and you can do alot more with the ipad than you think. There are a few photo-editing tools for the ipad that I find interesting, for example Photo FX by Tiffen however the ipad does not replace a proper laptop/desktop with photoshop/lightroom/aperture/etc as a photo-editing tool. It is what it is.

And as to reiterate on some points that Rashkae said, all display, whether Mac based or Wintel or Linux, will benefit from a proper calibration.

As I'm using all 3 types for my work, I can safely say, its a matter of taking the time to learn how to use these tools. But I will say this windows supported tools are still the most widely supported, macs provides a stable platform for you to run on, though the apps are not as widely supported as windows. Linux is interesting and you can find powerful editing tools for free legally (but you gotta take time to learn how to use it).

If you're comfortable with windows then stick with windows. If you still want an Imac 27", can I suggest that you get a mac mini with a dell ultrasharp 27" monitor instead? a basic mac mini cost $778, a diy ram upgrade to 8gb will cost you only an additional $70, and the Dell Ultrasharp montior will only set u back $700-$800 (its IPS and it uses the same LG panel that people rave the mac/imac display, except that it does not have the additional gorilla glass that apple, but it is factory calibrated). All in all cheaper, and you can still hookup the monitor to another machine if you need to and if either of them becomes faulty, at least you don't lose the usage of both the display and mac.

wow thanks. the small size of the mac mini and the separate monitor is definitely a good idea. anything in the pc world as its equivalent?

I just want to dispel the myth that Mac has no virus because it has a small user base.

Mac do have viruses, just not with the current Mac OS X (version 10), or none that I've heard of.

There are tons of viruses with OS 9, which has an even smaller user base.

-

If you're getting a Mac, you're really getting it for the OS.
    Hardware-wise, non-Apple competitors can definitely match up with cheaper pricing.

-

The iMac is a very good value. Despite what people are saying about the screen, good or bad, you don't have to worry if you don't require critical colour requirements. By 'critical', I mean your audience need to see exactly what you're seeing on your screen. E.g. Typically only for those who are into print publishing.

Or you can go with the Mac Mini + Dell monitor mentioned, which is a good combo. I'm using this combo except with a Mac Pro.
    Last edited by Parka; 10th September 2011 at 01:45 PM.

wow thanks. the small size of the mac mini and the separate monitor is definitely a good idea. anything in the pc world as its equivalent?
    None.