Thread: seniors advice requested: why did my photo appeared darker

Default seniors advice requested: why did my photo appeared darker

it looks ok when i view from the cam LCD, however when i upload to computer it looks a bit dark.
    is it because of my slr settings?

attached is a photo taken without any processing. hope to get some advice from seniors.
    thanks.

Blog Entries

In some cameras you can change the brightness of the LCD, but if you want to match your computer display make sure it is profiled and calibrated first

Default Re: seniors advice requested: why did my photo appeared darker

Is this the brightness of the keyboard you saw with your own eyes ?

LCD's are not meant to be accurate, they are only to show settings and details. Use histogram if you want to judge the exposure.
    Next: read up about calibrating / profiling your monitor to make sure, it shows what is there. Most displays are too cold and too bright (generic setting to impress people).
    Regarding your camera settings: we can't judge this point, your image has no exif data.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by dark cloud
    it looks ok when i view from the cam LCD, however when i upload to computer it looks a bit dark.

attached is a photo taken without any processing. hope to get some advice from seniors.
    thanks.
    Confirm something first, did u shoot in jpeg or raw?
    If u shoot in raw, what u see on the LCD could the jpeg end result of picture control/enhance by your camera body, which might be brighter than your raw file originally produced.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    Confirm something first, did u shoot in jpeg or raw?
    If u shoot in raw, what u see on the LCD could the jpeg end result of picture control/enhance by your camera body, which might be brighter than your raw file originally produced.
    shot in jpeg.

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    LCD's are not meant to be accurate, they are only to show settings and details. Use histogram if you want to judge the exposure.
    Next: read up about calibrating / profiling your monitor to make sure, it shows what is there. Most displays are too cold and too bright (generic setting to impress people).
    Regarding your camera settings: we can't judge this point, your image has no exif data.
    settings are 40s , f/2.8

Blog Entries

TS, nor sure what camera system you are using. But for Nikon I set all my camera LCD brightness to -2.

That said, it will be better for you to open the picture simultaneously on your PC and camera and adjust your screens to match. Or you can do what Ortega say, which is to get your PC screen calibrated then set your camera LCD brightness to match your calibrated PC screen.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    TS, nor sure what camera system you are using. But for Nikon I set all my camera LCD brightness to -2.

That said, it will be better for you to open the picture simultaneously on your PC and camera and adjust your screens to match. Or you can do what Ortega say, which is to get your PC screen calibrated then set your camera LCD brightness to match your calibrated PC screen.
    or read the histogram and get a better idea of the exposure

Quote Originally Posted by dark cloud View Post
    settings are 40s , f/2.8
    This is only a small portion of the settings. Complete exif please.
    EOS

Check your histogram that the image is neither under or over exposed, then make your necessary changes in your post-processing.
    What is more important is the relative exposure of your subject to its surrounding. The overall exposure can be tweak later as long as the range is kept within a reasonable range.

Quote Originally Posted by dark cloud View Post

thanks.

D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

I'm on D90 and my kid on D5000. Both our LCDs are set to -2 brightness level. That said, it looks very close to computer LCD screen's output. While it's good to refer to the histogram of the image (I always do), I still prefer to set the DSLR's LCD to closely match the comp's. It allows one to determine whether the entire image is too dark generally or good enough (if you're always on the move most of the time). And then with histogram to back it up or vice versa. To most newbies, who aren't really accustomed to histograms, the LCD tweak helps.
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 12th September 2011 at 12:12 PM.
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

lcd view and computer view always different
    also even the angle you view on the monitor /lcd will show a different brightness

Blog Entries

have you check your EV+/- ? make sure its at default 0 position
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast