Thread: color change in digital

Default color change in digital

Hello ,

I am using olyumpus C-50 digital 5 MP camera,

when i click pictures of red flower from top (meaning flower pot on ground level) the red color turn outs to be bright flurocent shade pinkish glowing..while if thepicture is clicked by changing angle / distance.. it comes true to its type. please any one can explain the strange behaviour?
    what shall i do to get true to colour of flowers

thank you
    hemvarsha

You probably blew the highlights on the red channel. This can be confirmed by looking at the histogram in a program like Photoshop. You can also try shooting with negative exposure compensation.

Quote Originally Posted by linse
    You probably blew the highlights on the red channel. This can be confirmed by looking at the histogram in a program like Photoshop. You can also try shooting with negative exposure compensation.
    thank you for the reply,, but still i did not follow you correctly... what i mean is.... when i am focusing the flower in lcd panel.. of olyumpus c-50...
    from a certain angle the color appears a very bright flurocent red with glowing edges.. and if i change the angle of my lens to subject side wise it comes out to almost normal.. i did try reducing f stops to -2.. -3 .it helps
    as u suggested..can you please detail me in simple form.

thank you
    hemant

It's a little difficult to guess what the problem is without seeing the image but since it helped when you dial in some negative exposure compensation, I assume I'm heading in the right track.

With JPEG images, you get 256 shades of Red, Green and Blue to form the image. If the subject is overexposed on the Red channel, ie the pixel value is 256, then my experience is that they can have the "bright fluorescent pinkish shade" you mentioned.

Your camera's light meter typically averages out the whole scene to get the correct exposure. If the surrounding background is of the same brightness as the subject, ie low contrast then there is little risk of overexposing the highlights. If the surrounding background is much dimmer, after averaging, the main subject may become overexposed. It all depends how "intelligent" you camera's metering is.

In your case, perhaps when you shoot from above, the surrounding background which is either grass or soil is dimmer, hence your subject (the flower) is slightly overexposed. That is when negative compensation helps.

If you shoot from the side, you may get part of the bright sky in the background, hence the camera's metering automatically decrease the exposure. You might now have blown highlights in the sky but not on your subject (the flower).

The camera's metering can only ensure that the scene is properly exposed. There is no way it can tell whether you are shooting at snow (which the background is suppose to be very bright) or someone on stage with a spotlight (with a background which is suppose to be very dark). That is where with experience, you can learn to use the exposure compensation dial to get the correct exposure.

Clear as mud?

Quote Originally Posted by hemvarsha
    Hello ,

I am using olyumpus C-50 digital 5 MP camera,

when i click pictures of red flower from top (meaning flower pot on ground level) the red color turn outs to be bright flurocent shade pinkish glowing..while if thepicture is clicked by changing angle / distance.. it comes true to its type. please any one can explain the strange behaviour?
    what shall i do to get true to colour of flowers

thank you
    hemvarsha
    are you on auto white balance? and where is this red flower? in the garden/ balcony/room?