Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: So near yet so far.

  1. #1

    Default So near yet so far.



    1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Composition

    2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    I show that he cant touch the buttons even thou he is very near to it..and the urge of wanting to touch the buttons.

    3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    This picture was taken in the lift on a random day.

    4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    I think i have shot it in a way to show that he really wants to touch the button..but he does not have the ability to do so.

    I am very new to photography..so guys please give me what every advise you can give..
    I hope to improve my skills.=) thanks..

  2. #2
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,626
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: So near yet so far.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrTiew Yehui View Post


    1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Composition

    2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    I show that he cant touch the buttons even thou he is very near to it..and the urge of wanting to touch the buttons.

    3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    This picture was taken in the lift on a random day.

    4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    I think i have shot it in a way to show that he really wants to touch the button..but he does not have the ability to do so.

    I am very new to photography..so guys please give me what every advise you can give..
    I hope to improve my skills.=) thanks..
    I would have much prefered if your angle is lower than the child and shooting upwards instead of high shooting down.

    Can't say I like the processing, too much detail lost on the child's face.

  3. #3

    Default Re: So near yet so far.

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    I would have much prefered if your angle is lower than the child and shooting upwards instead of high shooting down.

    Can't say I like the processing, too much detail lost on the child's face.
    Okay..so i should shoot at a lower angle?

  4. #4
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: So near yet so far.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrTiew Yehui View Post
    Okay..so i should shoot at a lower angle?
    Many of the articles I read about children photography is. Shoot at THEIR eye level.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  5. #5

    Default Re: So near yet so far.

    I am no pro nor critique - but the photo looks kinda eerie... am half expecting something to drop down from the top of the frame!
    Interesting post-processing though.
    theDevilisinthedetails.

  6. #6
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: So near yet so far.

    second devil's take with the processing.

    but even without, the colors i suspect wont be as pretty. sg lifts arent usually pretty.

    try a low angle looking up. use a UWA to get a forced perspective. it shld say what u want to say

  7. #7

    Default Re: So near yet so far.

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    Many of the articles I read about children photography is. Shoot at THEIR eye level.
    - If the purpose of the photo is to show kid's frustration (of not being able to press the buttons), I would prefer to put the viewer in his position.
    - The rubbish on the floor is ruining the photo and just distracts. I did not like it at all (to be honest it is very offending to me when I see people have thrown rubbish inside elevator i.e. the smallest area of a whole building, I have seen such a thing only in S.E Asia, and that happens a few days a week in my condo).
    - The processing is a bit harsh.

  8. #8

    Default Re: So near yet so far.

    thanks for all the crtis..i will try to improve more on the composition....the next time i will try shooting at a lower angle..

  9. #9

    Default Re: So near yet so far.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrTiew Yehui View Post
    2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    I show that he cant touch the buttons even thou he is very near to it..and the urge of wanting to touch the buttons.

    4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    I think i have shot it in a way to show that he really wants to touch the button..but he does not have the ability to do so.
    You are telling us the kid wants to touch the buttons but not really showing it. With the picture alone, I would have also thought he's just being fascinated by the lights on the buttons. Ideally, I think it would be better if the kid's hand were to stretch out attempting to touch the buttons and on his toes, then this would include his feet in the shot. Kids are usually pretty obliging so maybe just ask him to help press a button that's just out of his reach and snap the moment.

  10. #10

    Default Re: So near yet so far.

    Processing makes the image look rather dirty and messy. That said, in a confined area like the lift, may be hard to go low without the kid noticing and take the shot.
    I'm a PCW in newbie section. Hi. Welcome! :)

  11. #11

    Default Re: So near yet so far.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Moving Chair View Post
    Processing makes the image look rather dirty and messy. That said, in a confined area like the lift, may be hard to go low without the kid noticing and take the shot.
    Yeah..everytime i go near him with the camera..he will try and touch the lens..So most of the time i try to shoot without him noticing..And about the processing..Anyone can teach me what should i do to this kind of pictures?Cause the color in most lift are not very nice..esp hdb types..

  12. #12
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: So near yet so far.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrTiew Yehui View Post


    2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    I show that he cant touch the buttons even thou he is very near to it..and the urge of wanting to touch the buttons.

    3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    This picture was taken in the lift on a random day.

    4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    I think i have shot it in a way to show that he really wants to touch the button..but he does not have the ability to do so.
    Hi, as I have said many times before in the past, a common problem is attaching far too much meaning/messaging in a photograph.

    I get your drift after reading the accompanying write-up (which is probably why we have that requirement in CC), but the photo itself does not bring across this idea very well. Not every idea can be captured succinctly/clearly in a photograph - this one is possible though; if you showed the child reaching out towards the buttons, for example. I suspect this might be more interesting taken from a back view, from the level of the child or lower. Even then, I can't say that the idea itself is very appealing.

  13. #13
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Woodlands, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    40

    Default Re: So near yet so far.

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    I would have much prefered if your angle is lower than the child and shooting upwards instead of high shooting down.

    Can't say I like the processing, too much detail lost on the child's face.

    I totally agree with u!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •