Thread: need a zoom lens for event photography.

Default need a zoom lens for event photography.

hello all, I've been shooting available light photography for the past year and a half, hence all I have in my collection are prime lenses. Just recently, I've been tasked to cover a few events but all the lens changing is quite frustrating and unprofessional, especially during crucial moments. thus I want to ask those more experienced shooters out there which would be a better choice for me, nikkor 17-55mm f2.8 or 24-70mm f2.8, in terms of coverage and long term usage. I use a d7000. I understand that the lens used is based on the type events but to those more experienced ones who have both, generally which focal length is more useful?

Default Re: need a zoom lens for event photography.

I have both, I use 17-55 on DX body, and 24-70 on FX body. it is perfect match.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by jrhellboy View Post
    hello all, I've been shooting available light photography for the past year and a half, hence all I have in my collection are prime lenses. Just recently, I've been tasked to cover a few events but all the lens changing is quite frustrating and unprofessional, especially during crucial moments. thus I want to ask those more experienced shooters out there which would be a better choice for me, nikkor 17-55mm f2.8 or 24-70mm f2.8, in terms of coverage and long term usage. I use a d7000. I understand that the lens used is based on the type events but to those more experienced ones who have both, generally which focal length is more useful?
    hi jrhellboy,
    Both is fantastic lens, for events I prefer nikkor 24-70mm F2.8G. 24-70 to DX become 36-105, the distance is just perfect for event. 17-55 sometimes you will feel is too wide and can't zoom more closer when the object is far from you. 24-70 could be everything lens. . .

If u dun feel the need at F/2.8, nikon 24-120mm F/4 might give u more flexibility.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    If u dun feel the need at F/2.8, nikon 24-120mm F/4 might give u more flexibility.
    I'm an advocate of 17-55 on DX and 24-70 on FX. Though just putting this in here... 16-85 is the DX equiv of 24-120 on FX. just has a variable aperture
    Team FX Nikon
    Pet peeve: The word is 'lens', not 'len'

considering how i lean towards available light photography, i'll prefer to have the f2.8. hmm, so probably i'll get the 24-70mm.

Quote Originally Posted by jrhellboy View Post
    considering how i lean towards available light photography, i'll prefer to have the f2.8. hmm, so probably i'll get the 24-70mm.
    36mm on the wide just seems abit unfeasible, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by jrhellboy
    Does the thin DOF give you problem when u use F/2.8 shooting with available light? Just asking for ur opinion.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

haha. i think i'll still require the longer end more then the wider end. and no, 2.8 isn't very thin. haha.