Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: nikkor 18 - 135 mm question

  1. #1

    Default nikkor 18 - 135 mm question

    hi..

    i'm a newbie here and i've got a question regarding my nikkor 18 -135 mm lens..
    recently i just found out that my lens is molded..
    i went to the nikon service center and they quoted me S$322 to change parts of the lens..
    they said a brand new one would cost me about S$700..

    my question is..
    is it worthy to spend $322 to repair it or should i just buy a brand new one of the same lens?
    or even buy another new lens?

    i heard 18 - 200 mm will cost me about S$1100. Is this lens better than 18 - 135 mm?

    thanks in advanced

  2. #2
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: nikkor 18 - 135 mm question

    Well, anyway, the standard response is: If the range from 135 (or 105) to 200 is important to you, yes, it's better. But for IQ wise, I think they belong to the same category (Kit Lens).

    If you are looking for a IQ upgrade from 18-135, you should consider other lens. If you like to take tele shots, you should be looking at 70-200 instead...But if you need a "standard" walkabout lens, the usual suspect is 17-50/55 (This again depends on your preference, some uses 11-16 for a walkabout lens...)

    But if you are just looking for a replacement kit lens, I think 18-105 or 18-200 does the job pretty well...
    Last edited by SkyStrike; 1st September 2011 at 10:19 PM.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  3. #3
    Senior Member luckyorange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    2,843
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: nikkor 18 - 135 mm question

    Would suggest you to get a 18-105 here in bns for around 250 +/-

    or if you want you can get a tamron 17-50mm 2.8 which is good in low light condition =)...

    if u need the range... 18-200 is a better choice.. but if you shoot more in low light than tamrom 17-50 is better =)

    btw! dont think its worth the fixing for an old lens..
    Last edited by luckyorange; 1st September 2011 at 10:13 PM.
    Lousy de My Flickr

  4. #4

    Default Re: nikkor 18 - 135 mm question

    not worth the price to change the parts, a second hand 18-135 should cost you only around $250-$300, u can consider to buy a second hand 18-105 at around $300 which has a better IQ compared to 18-135.

  5. #5

    Default Re: nikkor 18 - 135 mm question

    thanks for the reply skystrike, luckyorange and miaoteh..

    uhm, it says 18 - 135 mm on the lens, so i believe there's such lens.. lol

    anyway, i am a newbie in photography..
    so i have totally no idea on lenses and stuff..
    i just need a general lens which i can use to shoot almost everything.. :P
    (close range to long range)

    NB: besides this 18 - 135 mm, i have a 50 mm lens too
    i knew that 50 mm is used for close up portrait photo, that's why i bought it :P

    anyway, this is embarrassing, but what is IQ?
    Last edited by valeriusOnline; 1st September 2011 at 10:19 PM. Reason: new answer has come :P

  6. #6
    Member GReddyZC76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    singapore, northeast
    Posts
    590

    Default

    How often u shoot @ 135mm?
    After I bought the 17-50mm tammy, it had been in my dry cabi, till the day I sold my body w/ this kit len.

    But of couse if u use it often, by all means, get it repair. Or cld be heaper getting a 2nd hand len.

    My few cts worth.
    [D800|AFS2470F2.8G|AFS70200F2.8G|AFS1635F4G|AFS28F1 .8G|AF85F1.8D|AFDC105F2D|SB700|SB900]

  7. #7

    Default Re: nikkor 18 - 135 mm question

    and oh.. i don't plan to buy a second hand lens..
    since i'm a newbie, i'm scared to buy a second hand lens..
    i don't know what check to judge whether the lens is still in good condition or not.. :P

  8. #8
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: nikkor 18 - 135 mm question

    Quote Originally Posted by valeriusOnline View Post
    thanks for the reply skystrike, luckyorange and miaoteh..

    uhm, it says 18 - 135 mm on the lens, so i believe there's such lens.. lol

    anyway, i am a newbie in photography..
    so i have totally no idea on lenses and stuff..
    i just need a general lens which i can use to shoot almost everything.. :P
    (close range to long range)

    NB: besides this 18 - 135 mm, i have a 50 mm lens too
    i knew that 50 mm is used for close up portrait photo, that's why i bought it :P

    anyway, this is embarrassing, but what is IQ?
    After doing abit of search, apparently there is this lens (didn't know it's existence till now)

    But for the quick answer, I do not think it's worth it to repair it....~50% of a brand new lens' price. I would recommend getting a kit 18-105 or if you can tahan 50mm as max focal length, 17-50 (Sigma, Tamron) is worth considering too..
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  9. #9
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,394

    Default Re: nikkor 18 - 135 mm question

    If you have mold in the lens better check your camera as well. How and where do you store your equipment? Seems you need to pay more attention to that part. Get a second hand copy of the same lens if you feel happy, spend some money on a dry cabinet.
    EOS

  10. #10

    Default Re: nikkor 18 - 135 mm question

    I think 300+ can get you close to a 2nd hand copy...

  11. #11

    Default Re: nikkor 18 - 135 mm question

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    If you have mold in the lens better check your camera as well. How and where do you store your equipment? Seems you need to pay more attention to that part. Get a second hand copy of the same lens if you feel happy, spend some money on a dry cabinet.
    hahaha.. yes this is embarassing.. i know that i should put the lens in a dry box which i didn't.. and i never thought that not putting them in the dry box can cause such BIG problem.. :P
    i went to the service center and they said the camera is fine.. phew.. :P

  12. #12

    Default Re: nikkor 18 - 135 mm question

    get a 2nd hand 18-200 vr 1 and just throw tat mold lens aside..it is the super lazy lens..
    2nd hand price is ard 600?

  13. #13
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: nikkor 18 - 135 mm question

    According to the Nikon price guide in CS, the 18-105 is ard $450 1 year ago...(shouldn't fluctuate too much). And A small dry cabinet will cost ~$11X, buy it and it will save you alot of trouble.


    btw, I also noticed that your 18-135 does not have VR. Which makes it another factor for me not to repair it..
    Last edited by SkyStrike; 1st September 2011 at 10:41 PM.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  14. #14
    Moderator ziploc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Snoopyland
    Posts
    4,577

    Default Re: nikkor 18 - 135 mm question

    Remember to set aside some money to buy a dry cabinet when you get your replacement lens. A 30L one cost only 100+. We have seen one too many such examples of people not using the dry box/cabinet and ended up with moldy lens/body.

  15. #15

    Default Re: nikkor 18 - 135 mm question

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    According to the Nikon price guide in CS, the 18-105 is ard $450 1 year ago...(shouldn't fluctuate too much). And A small dry cabinet will cost ~$11X, buy it and it will save you alot of trouble.


    btw, I also noticed that your 18-135 does not have IS. Which makes it another factor for me not to repair it..
    WHAT? the nikon service center said it's about S$700 for a new one.. -O-
    anyway, sorry to ask, what is IS and IQ?

  16. #16

    Default Re: nikkor 18 - 135 mm question

    Quote Originally Posted by ziploc View Post
    Remember to set aside some money to buy a dry cabinet when you get your replacement lens. A 30L one cost only 100+. We have seen one too many such examples of people not using the dry box/cabinet and ended up with moldy lens/body.
    yes, i've just bought one.. hahaha.. thanks for the remainder.. XP

  17. #17
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: nikkor 18 - 135 mm question

    Quote Originally Posted by valeriusOnline View Post
    WHAT? the nikon service center said it's about S$700 for a new one.. -O-
    anyway, sorry to ask, what is IS and IQ?
    oops, should be VR

    VR = Vibration Reduction (Nikon)
    IS = Image Stabilizer (Canon)

    basically IS = VR lar..

    IQ = Image Quality...



    btw, the NSC should be quoting you Recommended Retail Price (RRP), street prices from the Recommended shops should be much cheaper
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  18. #18
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: nikkor 18 - 135 mm question

    Quote Originally Posted by valeriusOnline View Post
    WHAT? the nikon service center said it's about S$700 for a new one.. -O-
    anyway, sorry to ask, what is IS and IQ?
    They will always quote RRP (MSRP).

    It is pretty cheap on the used market because it was the kit lens that was packaged with the D80 back in the day.

    I would suggest you get the Sigma 17-70 or the Nikon 16-85.

  19. #19

    Default Re: nikkor 18 - 135 mm question

    look for fatigue from this forum to clean

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •