Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: can a lens from one camera be put on another???

  1. #1

    Default can a lens from one camera be put on another???

    we have a Panasonic FZ20 in the cupboard with a great lens that is really fast, nothing like they make now. So, is it posible to get that lens taken off and put on a more modern Panasonic body?

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,943
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: can a lens from one camera be put on another???

    thread moved to Newbie section
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  4. #4
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: can a lens from one camera be put on another???

    Quote Originally Posted by lurchsmum View Post
    we have a Panasonic FZ20 in the cupboard with a great lens that is really fast, nothing like they make now. So, is it posible to get that lens taken off and put on a more modern Panasonic body?
    Anything is possible. It is only a matter of time, money and resources.

  5. #5
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default Re: can a lens from one camera be put on another???

    Quote Originally Posted by lurchsmum View Post
    we have a Panasonic FZ20 in the cupboard with a great lens that is really fast, nothing like they make now. So, is it posible to get that lens taken off and put on a more modern Panasonic body?
    Do you mean Lumix DMC-FZ20?

    If so, the lens cannot be removed leh...
    Exploring! :)

  6. #6
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,859

    Default Re: can a lens from one camera be put on another???

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Do you mean Lumix DMC-FZ20?

    If so, the lens cannot be removed leh...
    i think he want to dismantle it and fix on another cam -_-

  7. #7
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default Re: can a lens from one camera be put on another???

    Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    i think he want to dismantle it and fix on another cam -_-


    surely not?????
    Exploring! :)

  8. #8

    Default Re: can a lens from one camera be put on another???

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Anything is possible. It is only a matter of time, money and resources.
    Please.. you are implying that it is possible...

  9. #9
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,859

    Default Re: can a lens from one camera be put on another???

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post


    surely not?????
    yah... TS posted whether it is possible to "take off the lens" and place it on another panasonic body. -_-"

  10. #10
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: can a lens from one camera be put on another???

    Short answer - no

    Medium answer - please don't try

    Long answer - well... theoretically anything can be dismantled, if you have the right tools. And so theoretically, the FZ20 can be dismantled to its individual parts and components... so, yes, you can remove the lens.

    However a lens is not just a metal or plastic barrel with a couple of glass elements in it. There are many thing involve. Note that this lens is not for manual focusing (there is no focusing ring - at least not in the exterior). Thus everything was controlled electronically. So whatever camera body that you wanted to put this lens on, must be able to couple nicely with the lens and also electronically they must be able to be compatible. However electronic is just part of the equation... the firmware must also support the lens too.

    And to make the equation abit harder... you have the zoom mechanism too - controlled electronically too... via your firmware. So if you are wanting to couple this lens to a DSLR, a mirrorless, another point and shoot, you must ensure the above mentioned. If those are not being met, then you will have to find a way to control them manually, which might means moving the elements of the lens (somehow) by external components and not to mention focusing. So you would have a fully manual lens. Of course you can actually forget about the zoom mechanism (freeze it in whatever focal lenght you want before you dismantle the lens) and let the aperture be at its widest. Then couple it with whatever body you want, ensure that the joint is tight or you will risk other issue such as light from leaking in.

    Then use the tango method to get your focus (moving in and out from the subject physically).

    So long answer - yeh, of course you can dismantle the lens and mount it in any body you choose. But the question would be... is it worth the effort?
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  11. #11
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lobsterkia

    Please.. you are implying that it is possible...
    Is it worth the money and trouble? Probably not. But possible? Definitely.

  12. #12

    Default Re: can a lens from one camera be put on another???

    not worth the money ba

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,462

    Default Re: can a lens from one camera be put on another???

    Quote Originally Posted by lurchsmum View Post
    we have a Panasonic FZ20 in the cupboard with a great lens that is really fast, nothing like they make now. So, is it posible to get that lens taken off and put on a more modern Panasonic body?
    Have you try put it in.If not,don't ask stupid question here.

  14. #14
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joe

    Have you try put it in.If not,don't ask stupid question here.
    Woah chill... no need to call people such names. It may not be worth the effort, but it may not be impossible either.
    Exploring! :)

  15. #15

    Default Re: can a lens from one camera be put on another???

    Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    Have you try put it in.If not,don't ask stupid question here.
    Wah, bad mood or red aunt come visit?

  16. #16

    Default Re: can a lens from one camera be put on another???

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Short answer - no

    Medium answer - please don't try

    Long answer - well... theoretically anything can be dismantled, if you have the right tools. And so theoretically, the FZ20 can be dismantled to its individual parts and components... so, yes, you can remove the lens.

    However a lens is not just a metal or plastic barrel with a couple of glass elements in it. There are many thing involve. Note that this lens is not for manual focusing (there is no focusing ring - at least not in the exterior). Thus everything was controlled electronically. So whatever camera body that you wanted to put this lens on, must be able to couple nicely with the lens and also electronically they must be able to be compatible. However electronic is just part of the equation... the firmware must also support the lens too.

    And to make the equation abit harder... you have the zoom mechanism too - controlled electronically too... via your firmware. So if you are wanting to couple this lens to a DSLR, a mirrorless, another point and shoot, you must ensure the above mentioned. If those are not being met, then you will have to find a way to control them manually, which might means moving the elements of the lens (somehow) by external components and not to mention focusing. So you would have a fully manual lens. Of course you can actually forget about the zoom mechanism (freeze it in whatever focal lenght you want before you dismantle the lens) and let the aperture be at its widest. Then couple it with whatever body you want, ensure that the joint is tight or you will risk other issue such as light from leaking in.

    Then use the tango method to get your focus (moving in and out from the subject physically).

    So long answer - yeh, of course you can dismantle the lens and mount it in any body you choose. But the question would be... is it worth the effort?
    yea bro. exactly what i was thinking too. it isn't simple. and if TS really wants fast lenses, an upgrade is necessary. time to move on to DSLRs or Mirrorless

  17. #17
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default Re: can a lens from one camera be put on another???

    even thinking about the prospect of dismantling and removing the lens is enough for me....
    Exploring! :)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •