Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: kudos to sinned79 for protecting photographers ricebowl

Default Re: kudos to sinned79 for protecting photographers ricebowl

Quote Originally Posted by davidlee View Post
    Times have not change but I hope I have. I was like you once a very proud young man. Then I learn along the way. If you can’t drag a horse to the water, you can bring the water to the horse. Once the horse taste the water, he will surely go there itself.
    My friend with the restaurant used to charge under $4 in 2007 for a simple dish but now with good service and reputation with a few frills for the same dish he can charge $15. Now he is fitting out his second restaurant, all with humbleness and humility during the first two years he was making losses.
    FYI a plate of char kuay teow was twenty cents when I was young and fifteen cent noodle soup in the school canteen with abalone thrown in. But then you’ll be lucky to earn $25 a month.
    all i can say, we are from 2 different generation. Although i am younger then u by 20 years. But seriously, i think u are out of touch already. cos all the costs you mention, you wun get it in 2011. Do you even know how much macdonalds is paying to crews now? Do you know that even a newly NSF recruit pay now is more then half we are getting last time (your time and my time)? I will be glad to be paid $25 per hour, IF things are still so cheap like 2007 or back in my childhood days, but in REALITY, please move on.
    Last edited by sinned79; 1st September 2011 at 07:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by surrephoto View Post
    Key-points of reply & apologies if I am too crude...

1. Proud of your work does not mean your work is good. It may even stagnate your work if you are too proud... be careful.

2. S$50.00 can get you a heck load of servicing at canon service centre. Heck it could even be free. With some PR skills practice and being both a critical yet nice customer at the same time. They offer the best service vs probably all other major cam brands islandwide.

3. Which would the logical singaporean newbie gwc think-he-knows-how-to-shoot-for-money-dude choose? $25/hr for a simple birthday job or spend many hours a day on the streets and dream of HCB. We're a practical money-minded society. Thats fine, so long as we learn and deliver.

4. What is fair to you... is sadly... not necessary fair to your clients. There are countless so called professional pgs who demand $100/hr for event work, but their portfolio is describable to me, who obviously is one of those so called "defensive budget PGs", by the word "crap". And of course we all like to mumble... "It's subjective". "One man's meat is another man's poison". I say yeah right.

5. Here we go again... when paid little or offered little money photographer ah leong (fake name) brings only his D200 with kit lens instead of D300 with his 17-55 f2.8 and shoots at S size instead of L size files. This type of attitude to me... rather disgusting. And that said, offering your Iphone or PnS camera for Dawn Hui's job does come very close to that as well.

PS: Ah Leong ended up with several corrupted files on that certain wedding shoot... maybe his D200 was too old?
    1. Look, when i say i am proud of my work, i DID NOT say i am good. I am trying to say, i am CONFIDENT enough that i can take commercial jobs cos i am proud of my works and i know i can DELIVER. CONFIDENCE + DELIVER <> (not equal) to GOOD EXCELLENT WORK. If you are not proud of your own works, do you think you can even take the first step???

2. Different people have different experience, some just pay, some just PR their way through, but in reality, this is Canon's servicing pricing list. I am just stating as an example. And oh btw, try talking your way through to get CMOS cleaning free. If you can do that, I will be grateful to pass you my camera next time to you to let you help me, i can buy u a simple meal (below $21.50 value) as a reward.

3. I don't wish to argue with you on this point, like i say here, its not the point that we asked to be paid a lot. BUT BUT, to be paid FAIRLY. Take into this equation, Time spent to learn photography + Past experience + Money spent on equipments + Software licenses + a few other points = $25 per hour? To me seriously its underpaid work. Photography is a skilled profession, depending on WHICH photographer u have chosen to work with. You are hiring his EYES, his CREATIVITY, his EXPERIENCE, this is not any tom or harry or monkey that you can find anyone to easily replicate his EYES + CREATIVITY + EXPERIENCE. Don't you agree? What happens now, if everyone starts to come to clubsnap and offer $25 per hour (and nothing more) to photographers ??? That is very dishearten to look at.

4. Well, like i mentioned, it is up to the client to decide who to take up the job. But by throwing $25 per hour, seriously he will only get monkeys dun expect anything more (he may be lucky, a talented monkey came along). But if the client wants to pay more, I am sure more will be interested to take up the job, and i dun believe the client is dumb enough not to view the photographer's portfolio before deciding on the photographer.

5. Ohh FYI, i am just trying to be sarcastic to the TS on that thread using the iphone or point and shoot as example. Trying to convey the message to her mind, yeah right, pay me this amount, i will be monkey enough to bring my iphone or point and shoot for the shoot instead of a proper equipment for the job.
    Last edited by sinned79; 1st September 2011 at 07:47 AM.

Blog Entries

I believe all pertinent points, opinions and views have been aired .

Nobody is right or wrong here ...... as long as there is compensation/payment, we'll let Darwin sort out the rest ....

Till the next looking-for-free-photog thread...... this thread is closed :0

Peace Out !
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

I have no comment and neither do I have any concerns on jobs like these, as long as they are in-line with our guidelines that the job is paid.

What I do have concerns over is the rude and mean behaviour towards Dawn Hui in the original thread. What makes it worse is others are taking this behaviour as an heroic act. Such behaviour should never be encouraged in the first place.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456