Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: kudos to sinned79 for protecting photographers ricebowl

Default Re: kudos to sinned79 for protecting photographers ricebowl

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    i'm lucky to have a few friends who're professionals and can count on to get great shots when i'm married. although they're pricey, they'll definitely deliver.
    I suggest you put up a thread for $50 wedding photographer first and see what you can get.

Or you can get ten $50 photographers and position them 180 degrees around you and the bride so that you can get photos from all angles.

Just wondering will he get flamed if he had asked for aspiring photography who is willing to cover the event for free to improve the photographer's portfolio?

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    I suggest you put up a thread for $50 wedding photographer first and see what you can get.

Or you can get ten $50 photographers and position them 180 degrees around you and the bride so that you can get photos from all angles.
    i thought it's supposed to be "Bridegroom"

Quote Originally Posted by maisatomai View Post
    Just wondering will he get flamed if he had asked for aspiring photography who is willing to cover the event for free to improve the photographer's portfolio?
    If he post in the Service wanted, or equiv section in CS, it will most likely be removed by the mods...
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Quote Originally Posted by baggiolee

lol if i put up a thread offering phtgr $5/hr, i think still got phtgr queing up for this job.
    Actually nothing wrong paying cheap for a PG. it's supply and demand case.

So long as both parties know what are the expectations, it's ok.

Quote Originally Posted by donut88 View Post

sadly... the person engaging the cheap photographer usually expects the quality to be that of a $500/hr photographer, but only willing to pay $50/hr.

perhaps they really believe that anyone with a DSLR can take a good picture....

or they just love playing Russian Roulette

Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100 View Post
    oh tks for informing! i was wondering how he manage to survive based on that previous rate... this is good, it only proves that no one can sustain for long charging cheap! Even hawker food price is raising!

To some, camera may be cheap, but I never think they are cheap when you charge low for jobs.. if say i charge $50 per job, how many jobs must I do to even recover the cost of a 500d with kit lens? and how about the time and effort? and alot of people are using high end gears.. so it just don't make sense..
    What is cheap or expensive is determined by seller of service & taker of services offered.

When there are clients who are looking for upper tier PGs, there will be another larger bulk looking for budget PGs. There are also some in the middle range who believe in paying more, but not splurging for a decent photographer.

Do you all mean if a PG charges low, it is impossible for him to deliver? Is it another photographer's business (in this case some of you guys who don't believe in budget photography) that a budget PG is charging low? What if he is delivering? So what if he tires himself to death? Don't complain about existence of budget PGs, lowballers, highballers & over-expecting customers... deal with it!

Quote Originally Posted by maisatomai View Post
    Based on historical records, there will no doubt be many forumers who will launch attacks at such photographers. I can't count the number of PGs who start out as free (etc for friends', for cousins', for boss', for teacher's wedding) and are successful now. Even if I charge $50 for my first 10 hr wedding (fyi i did not) does that mean I get locked there? Especially when I've not have a website yet? Hah.

Quote Originally Posted by donut88 View Post

I'd say kudos to donut88... as simple as this statement gets. Some clients do know what they are expecting, but will complain at any quality they receive, whatever price they pay.

...actually there is nothing wrong with asking for cheap service as long as its personal, and the one asking is able to live with the possibility of getting
    nothing, but there are some who are sub-contracting jobs they got and asking for cheapo photographers to service these.......

Quote Originally Posted by surrephoto View Post
    What is cheap or expensive is determined by seller of service & taker of services offered.
    When there are clients who are looking for upper tier PGs, there will be another larger bulk looking for budget PGs. There are also some in the middle range who believe in paying more, but not splurging for a decent photographer.
    Indeed, if you want to target the mid tier and position yourself there, its perfectly fine. Do note that you will be competing in the hardest and most competitive tier and this is where photographers gets most tired and burned out. AND you have to be brutal and analyse your clients's income level range, are they really mid tier or not?

Do you all mean if a PG charges low, it is impossible for him to deliver? Is it another photographer's business (in this case some of you guys who don't believe in budget photography) that a budget PG is charging low? What if he is delivering? So what if he tires himself to death? Don't complain about existence of budget PGs, lowballers, highballers & over-expecting customers... deal with it!
    You have to realize some members are not complaining or attacking, they are actually educating and trying to help. Its the budget photographers that read those threads and get defensive themselves, instead of getting an insight, they find excuses for their low rates. Why not look at things from another angle, maybe there is something to learn?

$50 i want to do leh.. training ground mah.. LOL.

Dennis, for you =)
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

have anyone notice many our homegrown pros are no longer active here?
    some of them find some people here is kind of unteachable,

some people here don't/can't shoot for money, but insist of pro photographers shouldn't charge a premium................ well, why don't they go and tell their bosses you willing to work for 50% pay cut instead, lol

some people claim the pros not willing to share all the trade secrets, ................. har? hello, we spend a few thousands each years on seminars, webminars, books, DVD, teach you all the tricks we learn over the years for free and let you guys come and undercut me? am I nuts?

some time it is not the pros not willing to share, it is because there is no short cut to build a business, it take a lots of sweat and tears, a few years hard works,
    it is not like today go and buy a 5DMKII plus a few lenses, asking what settings to use in the forum and than this weekend can go and shoot wedding liao.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Blog Entries

sadly... the person engaging the cheap photographer usually expects the quality to be that of a $500/hr photographer, but only willing to pay $50/hr.

perhaps they really believe that anyone with a DSLR can take a good picture....

or they just love playing Russian Roulette
    or you mean ? ..... "expects the quality to be that of a $500/hr photographer, but only willing to pay $50/DAY".

Aiyoh guys, chill out ................ let Darwin's Theory sort them out ........
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

i didn't say that. I am just stating that no one can survive by under charging.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Photogenic View Post
    $50 i want to do leh.. training ground mah.. LOL.

Dennis, for you =)
    frankly speaking, i think that for training sake, it may be ok for some.. i mean they can't expect alot when they are paying $50 right?

Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100 View Post
    frankly speaking, i think that for training sake, it may be ok for some.. i mean they can't expect alot when they are paying $50 right?
    you'll be surprised at what people demand for $50

Like what you said lor, pay $50 and expect $500 quality.. But if one sends his $50 portfolio, then this Dawn would expect that the quality is around there mah..
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

Have to agree with this one...some people think as long as you are hired by them (with whatever amount), your "soul" belongs to them (almost like slaves lor)
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    or you mean ? ..... "expects the quality to be that of a $500/hr photographer, but only willing to pay $50/DAY".

Aiyoh guys, chill out ................ let Darwin's Theory sort them out ........
    Darwin's Theory will wipe them out, but there are still many will emerge.........

so the moral of the story is;
    Never, Never, Never compete with bottom feeders, they will kill you by 人海战术。

and Never Never Never entertain freeloaders, they will come back for more and suck you dry.

lol
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    Darwin's Theory will wipe them out, but there are still many will emerge.........

so the moral of the story is;
    Never, Never, Never compete with bottom feeders, they will kill you by 人海战术。

and Never Never Never entertain freeloaders, they will come back for more and suck you dry.

lol
    like that... our bosses who know we can shoot are the freeloaders

I once heard a wedding photographer complains that the client demand him to stay throughout from 4am-next day 1am, with the last photo featuring the bride closing the house door.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast