Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: sunset/evening setup

  1. #1

    Default sunset/evening setup

    Hi.. I may not be newbie now but i like to know n understand more to achieve good evening shots..

    My sunset setup
    Sky balanced exposure -0.7
    Subject under exposed
    Not good in remote ttl with sb900 so went to M with 1/4 - 8 power, bare flash.. Conserving power. Using shutter mode at 1/120 but i realise i need my softbox to create better light.

    if i use remote ttl.. It always seems my picture ended.not well expose on e subject. And i can't really gauge how near should my flash be placed to subject.

    Any other better ways to balance such picture??

    I have no decent picture to show.

    And sb900 gave me heat up issues which abit annoying and i can't shoot much with full or 1/2 power.

  2. #2

    Default Re: sunset/evening setup

    Huh? You're shooting the sunset, why on earth are you using a flash??

    No head no tail... We cannot read your mind, please give more information so that we can actually give relevant advice.
    Alpha

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    East side
    Posts
    1,180

    Default Re: sunset/evening setup

    by "subject" do you mean a person or ......
    Canon | Oly | Fuji

  4. #4

    Default Re: sunset/evening setup

    show your non-decent pictures. if not, how would anyone know what you're talking about??

  5. #5
    Member r0n1n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wild Wild West
    Posts
    799

    Default Re: sunset/evening setup

    maybe what TS meant is night portrait shoot? try rear sync, good exposure for the subject and at the same time, giving a nice background exposure.
    I shoot with my A7II . I shoot with my Kalashnikov AEG. I just love shooting ;)

  6. #6

    Default Re: sunset/evening setup

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    show your non-decent pictures. if not, how would anyone know what you're talking about??
    Quote Originally Posted by v0857 View Post
    by "subject" do you mean a person or ......
    you are right.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Huh? You're shooting the sunset, why on earth are you using a flash??

    No head no tail... We cannot read your mind, please give more information so that we can actually give relevant advice.
    Why cant i shoot sunset with a flash? haha alright, my fault for not having a pic to elaborate my situation

    Quote Originally Posted by r0n1n View Post
    maybe what TS meant is night portrait shoot? try rear sync, good exposure for the subject and at the same time, giving a nice background exposure.
    okok guys, i am trying to post a pic related to my quest, yes my subject is a human, or it can be any object. It is a sunset shot, not considering a night portrait. I was thinking of rear sync flash but forget to try it out.

    I failed to light this up as my SB900 heated up already so I tried using on cam flash which is not power enough.



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

    This was with ttl flash, which I failed to gauge how far should the flash be, resulting with subject underexposed.



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

    therefore, I am asking, what kinda of setting should I used to have the backdrop and subject properly exposed.

  7. #7

  8. #8

    Default Re: sunset/evening setup

    you can try meter for the background with a bit of underexposure for the sky.

    adjust the settings for the background in manual mode, get to >1/200s if the sun is too bright and you have to do high speed sync.

    trial and error, then set enough flash power to illuminate your subject.

    remember the inverse square law and how it affects light fall-off. i guess this is why you cannot grasp how far to place your flash. e.g if originally your flash is 1m away from your subject and you move it further to the 2m mark, your subject will only receive 1/4 of the original power and not 1/2 of the original power. the reverse is true when you move the flash closer to your subject by 2x the distance, she will receive 4x the original power, not 2x.

    http://www.digital-photography-schoo...rse-square-law
    http://www.geofflawrence.com/photogr...square_law.htm
    Last edited by tecnica; 29th August 2011 at 10:34 AM.

  9. #9

    Default Re: sunset/evening setup

    Quote Originally Posted by tecnica View Post
    you can try meter for the background with a bit of underexposure for the sky.

    adjust the settings for the background in manual mode, get to >1/200s if the sun is too bright and you have to do high speed sync.

    trial and error, then set enough flash power to illuminate your subject.

    remember the inverse square law and how it affects light fall-off. i guess this is why you cannot grasp how far to place your flash. e.g if originally your flash is 1m away from your subject and you move it further to the 2m mark, your subject will only receive 1/4 of the original power and not 1/2 of the original power. the reverse is true when you move the flash closer to your subject by 2x the distance, she will receive 4x the original power, not 2x.

    http://www.digital-photography-schoo...rse-square-law
    http://www.geofflawrence.com/photogr...square_law.htm
    ok dude. i am going to test out my gears again on these. thanks again.
    closing this thread.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •