Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: Would you send your DSLR to service centre for cleaning if you have dirt/fungus?

  1. #1
    Member boyet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    109

    Default Would you send your DSLR to service centre for cleaning if you have dirt/fungus?

    Hi there!

    As per the thread title, are you going to send your DSLR to the service centre for cleaning if you found out that there is something not usual on your body?




    Settings:

    F-stop f/22
    ISO 100
    Lens used is 50mm
    Mode Av
    No flash

    However, when I was shooting at other apertures with the same lens, this image doesn't show up.
    I have tried also with another lens with same settings, it is there also. That's why I think it is on my DSLR body.

    Thanks for your help!!!
    Canon EOS 550D | EF 40mm F2.8 STM Pancake

  2. #2

    Default Re: Would you send your DSLR to service centre for cleaning if you have dirt/fungus?

    try using a blower first mirror up and blow. face the camera downward it shall be gone

  3. #3
    Member boyet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    109

    Default Re: Would you send your DSLR to service centre for cleaning if you have dirt/fungus?

    Quote Originally Posted by unknown123 View Post
    try using a blower first mirror up and blow. face the camera downward it shall be gone
    Thanks unknown.
    Actually i have tried that one already but it seems can't be removed by using blower only.
    Canon EOS 550D | EF 40mm F2.8 STM Pancake

  4. #4

    Default Re: Would you send your DSLR to service centre for cleaning if you have dirt/fungus?

    I'd send it to the service centre if it's something I can't remove and if it is bothering me/ my images. =)

  5. #5
    Senior Member oracle0711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Settling down in Punggol
    Posts
    2,133

    Default Re: Would you send your DSLR to service centre for cleaning if you have dirt/fungus?

    The direct answer to your question would be "Yes, I will send my dslr to the service center for cleaning IF I need to get rid of the dust spots." However, based on your pics above, I might not do it so early for as long as I am not shooting f/22 all the time. At larger aperture setting such as f/5.6 or f/8.0 - for as long as the dust spot is not obvious, I would bear with it for the time being. Going down to the service center comes with a cost - cost of traveling, cost of getting it service, cost of waiting time and so forth.

    One more thing, there is always the possibility of the dust spots settling behind a layer of the sensor. This will render the dust spots to be there permanently (unless you replace the sensor which is going to costs a bomb). I got 2 spots on my 1DS Mark 3. Good thing is I do not shoot at f/22 all the time and so is not very obvious. Ask AnsQ, he can vouched for my irremovable dust spots ....
    Last edited by oracle0711; 28th August 2011 at 03:05 PM.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Would you send your DSLR to service centre for cleaning if you have dirt/fungus?

    CMIIW, if it's only dust and doesn't really bother your IQ, then it's up to you. But if it's fungus, then better clean them as they can easily grow & spread.

  7. #7
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,392

    Default Re: Would you send your DSLR to service centre for cleaning if you have dirt/fungus?

    Alternatively TS can have a look at the DIY cleaning methods. Dust in cameras and lenses is so common that we have weekly threads here, asking exactly the same question. A third option can be camera repair shops (they offer cleaning services as well).
    EOS

  8. #8
    Member boyet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AnsQ
    I'd send it to the service centre if it's something I can't remove and if it is bothering me/ my images. =)
    It is bothering me coz I am afraid if it is a fungus then it might grow faster and might damage my sensor. But if it is a dust only, I might ignore it first. Now, I am not so sure whether it is a dust or fungus. Thanks AnsQ.

    Quote Originally Posted by oracle0711
    The direct answer to your question would be "Yes, I will send my dslr to the service center for cleaning IF I need to get rid of the dust spots." However, based on your pics above, I might not do it so early for as long as I am not shooting f/22 all the time. At larger aperture setting such as f/5.6 or f/8.0 - for as long as the dust spot is not obvious, I would bear with it for the time being. Going down to the service center comes with a cost - cost of traveling, cost of getting it service, cost of waiting time and so forth. One more thing, there are dust spots might for some unknown reason get stuck behind a layer of the sensor, resulting in the impossibility of removing them with (with the exception of replacing your sensor). I got 2 spots on my 1DS Mark 3. Good thing is that I do not shoot at f/22 all the time and so far it is not very obvious. Ask AnsQ, he can vouched for my irremovable dust spots ....
    Thanks oracle0711. Actually, you are right, it will cost me alot. I seldom used also f/22. My DSLR is around 1 yr old already and has still remaining warranty. I am thinking also if there is something wrong with the sensor then I might as for free repair as it is still under warranty. I think cleaning is not covered but repairing should be covered right?

    Quote Originally Posted by SilentSeth
    CMIIW, if it's only dust and doesn't really bother your IQ, then it's up to you. But if it's fungus, then better clean them as they can easily grow & spread.
    Thanks SilentSeth. Yeah, I am afraid if it is fungus but I am not sure if it is really fungus. That's why I am thinking to send it to service centre.
    Canon EOS 550D | EF 40mm F2.8 STM Pancake

  9. #9

    Default Re: Would you send your DSLR to service centre for cleaning if you have dirt/fungus?

    yeah when the dust gets irritating, i will send my camera back to CSC for a good cleanup.

    as of now, not yet.

  10. #10
    Member boyet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine
    Alternatively TS can have a look at the DIY cleaning methods. Dust in cameras and lenses is so common that we have weekly threads here, asking exactly the same question. A third option can be camera repair shops (they offer cleaning services as well).
    Actually, I am afraid using any liquid to clean it. I saw one thread which started by Rhino. I think he uses some liquid type solution to remove the dust on his camera. Thanks Octarine.
    Canon EOS 550D | EF 40mm F2.8 STM Pancake

  11. #11
    Member boyet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tecnica
    yeah when the dust gets irritating, i will send my camera back to CSC for a good cleanup.

    as of now, not yet.
    Do you mean that you haven't went on CSC for cleaning since you bought your DSLR? Wow, that's nice.
    Canon EOS 550D | EF 40mm F2.8 STM Pancake

  12. #12
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,392

    Default Re: Would you send your DSLR to service centre for cleaning if you have dirt/fungus?

    Quote Originally Posted by boyet View Post
    Do you mean that you haven't went on CSC for cleaning since you bought your DSLR? Wow, that's nice.
    My camera has never seen CSC even after 5 years now. Got it cleaned on Canon Photo Marathon once, the other times I just use the blower. Sufficient.
    EOS

  13. #13
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,392

    Default Re: Would you send your DSLR to service centre for cleaning if you have dirt/fungus?

    Quote Originally Posted by boyet View Post
    Actually, I am afraid using any liquid to clean it. I saw one thread which started by Rhino. I think he uses some liquid type solution to remove the dust on his camera. Thanks Octarine.
    CSC might use liquid, too. Don't be afraid. Be careful, read up properly, do it slowly, use lots of common sense. Many people do DIY cleaning and it works well. We only hear about the accidents, mostly
    EOS

  14. #14
    Member boyet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine
    My camera has never seen CSC even after 5 years now. Got it cleaned on Canon Photo Marathon once, the other times I just use the blower. Sufficient.
    Maybe everytime after you use your camera you always clean it. In my case, this is the first time to clean my camera using blower. Usually, i will clean only the external body.

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine
    CSC might use liquid, too. Don't be afraid. Be careful, read up properly, do it slowly, use lots of common sense. Many people do DIY cleaning and it works well. We only hear about the accidents, mostly
    Yeah, maybe they will use liquid also but I think they're already professional on that field. Thanks for the infos.
    Canon EOS 550D | EF 40mm F2.8 STM Pancake

  15. #15

    Default Re: Would you send your DSLR to service centre for cleaning if you have dirt/fungus?

    Quote Originally Posted by boyet View Post
    Do you mean that you haven't went on CSC for cleaning since you bought your DSLR? Wow, that's nice.
    i've been careful when changing lenses, so minimal dust in the interior of the body.

    there are couple of spots on the sensor but it doesn't bother me. if you get really anal about these things, then you gonna live a really hard life. haha.

  16. #16
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,392

    Default Re: Would you send your DSLR to service centre for cleaning if you have dirt/fungus?

    Quote Originally Posted by boyet View Post
    Maybe everytime after you use your camera you always clean it. In my case, this is the first time to clean my camera using blower. Usually, i will clean only the external body.
    No, I don't do that. It's not a wine glass that needs to be polished after usage. I use my cameras and clean them only when necessary (visible stains, dirt). They are meant to work well, in the first place. I changed lenses in situations where other people would faint. Nothing happened, I got great pictures and the lenses and cameras still work perfectly fine. Just don't tell your camera that there is dust, or splashes of water
    EOS

  17. #17
    Member boyet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tecnica

    i've been careful when changing lenses, so minimal dust in the interior of the body.

    there are couple of spots on the sensor but it doesn't bother me. if you get really anal about these things, then you gonna live a really hard life. haha.
    I am very careful also. Usually I don't bring any extra lens when I'm out for shooting. Before I leave my home, I will decide first which lens should need to be used. So, I expected that it should not have a lot of dust inside my camera. Yeah, maybe I will leave it there first. I will check it once in a while.
    Canon EOS 550D | EF 40mm F2.8 STM Pancake

  18. #18
    Member boyet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine
    Just don't tell your camera that there is dust, or splashes of water
    Yeah, maybe I should not think like that. 

    Thanks Octarine.
    Canon EOS 550D | EF 40mm F2.8 STM Pancake

  19. #19

    Default

    I use lenspen. Works like a charm and no liquid involved.

    Don't need to clean every time u use your cam. I only clean mine when I spot spots like you 

  20. #20
    Member boyet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ParanoidAndroid
    I use lenspen. Works like a charm and no liquid involved.

    Don't need to clean every time u use your cam. I only clean mine when I spot spots like you 
    Really! I usually clean my camera but the external body only. This is the first time I tried to blower the internal body because I spotted that spots. 

    You are lucky, you managed to clean it by using a lenspen only!!!!
    Canon EOS 550D | EF 40mm F2.8 STM Pancake

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •