Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 600D w/ Tamron 17-50f2.8 or 28-75mm F/2.8

Default Re: 600D w/ Tamron 17-50f2.8 or 28-75mm F/2.8

Quote Originally Posted by fastforwardtofriday View Post
    i see, thanks for the advice. btw do shop allow you to try out the lens before buying? i feel like trying out and see the 2 different first before buying.
    Yes they do, else go to another shop.

I have the 28-75mm which I got 2nd hand for around $400. It's a relatively sharp lenses though focusing is a bit slow. What I like about the lens is the close focusing performance is quite good. Good minimum focusing distance and decent magnification for those casual close-up shoot of food, flowers etc

17-50 ftw. The lens is v sharp wide open and its range is suitable for crop. I think it is worth it to get the local one cos there is 3 yrs warranty for it. I think it is my sharpest lens so far..
    I need to shoot more!

Quote Originally Posted by titus1984 View Post
    17-50 ftw. The lens is v sharp wide open and its range is suitable for crop. I think it is worth it to get the local one cos there is 3 yrs warranty for it. I think it is my sharpest lens so far..
    i feel that the 10-22 is just as sharp.

nevertheless, both 10-22 and 17-55 have good resolving power.

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    I am using a 28mm and 100mm mostly for my street shoot. And nowaday I use quite a bit of my 70-200mm lens too. In the past, I used alot of my 300mm (+1.4x teleconverter) for wildlife shoots too, less so nowaday. So... yeah. Actually it all depends on your style of photography. and yes, both the 17-50mm and the 28-75mm lens are pretty similar in terms of sharpness (both have excellent sharpness - center). as someone had mentioned before, the 28-75mm lens is made for full frame, but I would not recommend that for FF user because the corners are quite soft... for cropped camera, it seemed alright though.

Anyway if you are certain that you would not be taking far off objects and using the 600D, 17-50mm will be a fabulous choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    I think they do allow you to try out first... of course you have to test the lenses before buying... And it would be good that you test both lens to see if you like the wideness and range of the lens. But it would only be a couple of minutes test. One suggestion, if you are not too urgent in need of these lens, you could actually rent both first and have at least 1 day of use to see which one suits you better. Then go to the shop and do a thorough test on the lens you want before buying that lens (you can check out some of the thread here on what to look out for when testing the lens before buying).
    i see, i think i will go for 17-50mm and maybe ask my friend lend me his 55-200mm. haha. is there any other lens that cover from roughly 17-75+? f2.8? noob here. >< i think i ask to try out both lens first bah. i leaning towards from buying at mscolor.

Quote Originally Posted by kelchew View Post
    just saw this reply, i got my lens from slrr.. so far the price is the lowest..
    i see, thanks alot! having 2 choice of mscolor or slrr

Quote Originally Posted by kelchew View Post
    oh an a reason i got 28-75 is becos i have a UWA and i dont mind to change lens when go oversea..
    if you dont have a UWA think 17-50 will be a better choice..
    this is my first set of dslr i will be buying! ><! dont have UWA.

Quote Originally Posted by TWmilkteaTW View Post
    Hmm...if u mention..landscape, closeup shots and portrait shots. Then ill go for the 17-50.
    But if possible for you to add alittle more budget..you can get a 18-200 or 18-250..This kind of lenses are usually very useful since it cover from wide to a good zoom range..and you dont have to keep changing your lenses on the move. Not too expansive..and not too heavy. : )
    wow thanks, yeah, i guess will go for 17-50 bah. 18-200 or 18-250 got f2.8?

Quote Originally Posted by Tucksoon View Post
    My humble opinion is if u don't intend to shoot indoor/low light, get 18-200 for travel. Definitely very convenient. Else the 17-50 is great
    sometimes i do shoot indoor and low light thus f2.8 will be a great help to me.

Quote Originally Posted by titus1984 View Post
    hahah, same thought also. i sure get local warranty one!

Quote Originally Posted by tecnica View Post
    i feel that the 10-22 is just as sharp.

nevertheless, both 10-22 and 17-55 have good resolving power.
    haha, true!

As above, i am wondering which is more versatile? I am going to Taiwan during my eoy holidays and i am wondering is there any different between them other than the range? i am interested in landscape, closeup shots and portrait shots. Budget for the camera and the lens around 1.5k, haven't buy yet though. i looked up at tamron website but cant find much different about them. >< anyone can help? price between them is roughly the same right? Thanks.
    Go for 17-50mm, the images are sharp and definitefly a good lens that matches it's price. I was like u when i got myself a 500d, i bought 28-75mm but after 2 months i sold it away.

Some of the reasons
    - Not Wide Enough for group shot
    - Slow Focus
    - Images not sharp

Quote Originally Posted by jiaxuan90 View Post
    Go for 17-50mm, the images are sharp and definitefly a good lens that matches it's price. I was like u when i got myself a 500d, i bought 28-75mm but after 2 months i sold it away.

Some of the reasons
    - Not Wide Enough for group shot
    - Slow Focus
    - Images not sharp
    wow after 2 months only? slow focus and images not sharp? :O roughly how long it takes? you go sample pic?

Not wide enough for a group shot can be attributed to:

1) photographer doesn't understand the meaning of FOV
    2) photographer's too lazy to take a few steps back
    3) flash isn't powerful enough to light up everyone from far

Slow Focus

1) most probably attributed to shooting in low-light

Images not sharp

1) handshake due to slow shutter speed in low-light conditions
    2) camera focused on the wrong subject in the focal plane, rendering the main subjects OOF.

but that's just my guess.

@fastforwardtofriday you should go and find the reviews on the lens online.

Quote Originally Posted by fastforwardtofriday

hahah, same thought also. i sure get local warranty one!
    You might to do a search on clubsnap before buying a local set. My personal experience with JEL wasn't too good. Both personal reasons and JEL limited manpower, their customer service however, is acceptable. But not worth spending $200 to $300 extra for the warranty of a cheap lens.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    Not wide enough for a group shot can be attributed to:

1) photographer doesn't understand the meaning of FOV
    2) photographer's too lazy to take a few steps back
    3) flash isn't powerful enough to light up everyone from far

Slow Focus

1) most probably attributed to shooting in low-light

Images not sharp

1) handshake due to slow shutter speed in low-light conditions
    2) camera focused on the wrong subject in the focal plane, rendering the main subjects OOF.

but that's just my guess.

@fastforwardtofriday you should go and find the reviews on the lens online.
    i have done my research on 17-50mm, but idk which is idea for an all rounder between this 2 lens for me. becos i like the range on 75mm but 28 seems tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    You might to do a search on clubsnap before buying a local set. My personal experience with JEL wasn't too good. Both personal reasons and JEL limited manpower, their customer service however, is acceptable. But not worth spending $200 to $300 extra for the warranty of a cheap lens.
    JEL? whats that? erm, so you are saying that 17-50mm is a cheap lens?

Quote Originally Posted by fastforwardtofriday

JEL corporation, the local agent for Tamron. You have to go back to them for any servicing and problems.

JEL is the local Tamron service partner. Not sure what other people consider as 'cheap lens' but the 17-50 is far from being one and the price for local warranty is less than $200.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    JEL corporation, the local agent for Tamron. You have to go back to them for any servicing and problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    JEL is the local Tamron service partner. Not sure what other people consider as 'cheap lens' but the 17-50 is far from being one and the price for local warranty is less than $200.
    wow thanks, so if my lens got problem during the 3years warranty i just go there and repair for free? or do i need pay?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast