Thread: Questions abt RAW

Default Questions abt RAW

Hi All,
    Would appreciate if someone can enlighten me on the below questions;

When I set to RAW, do;
    1. The parameter settings matter?
    2. How abt the white balance?
    3. What else DO NOT affect if i set to RAW?

Million Thanks!

nothing affects.
    your settings will only affect the thumbnails embedded in your RAW file. (if there's a thumbnail embedded in it.)

It will affect the JPG output if u set to RAW + JPG.

It will record the custom WB settings used in the EXIF in the RAW, but the original RAW image data is not changed.

Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    nothing affects.
    your settings will only affect the thumbnails embedded in your RAW file. (if there's a thumbnail embedded in it.)

It will affect the JPG output if u set to RAW + JPG.

It will record the custom WB settings used in the EXIF in the RAW, but the original RAW image data is not changed.
    Thanks AReality for the info!!
    Meanning shooting in RAW is safe as it is quite idiot-proof rite? Everything can be changed in the computer.

Thats correct. RAW basically records light information directly from the photosites on your CCD/CMOS and saves them as is. Stuff like sharpening, WB etc are all applied later (if at all). However, shooting RAW does have its disadvantages such as:

1. Requires a large CF card (you'll slowly realize that 1GB card you have isn't quite enough to shoot everything in RAW )

2. The need to post-process all your pictures.. if you have lots of time etc, then no problem. However, many pros with tight deadlines rather shoot in JPEG if time is crucial, so its a balance.

GYR

Blog Entries

of course, even RAW has its limitations lah... ie. if u under exposed ur pics badly, , blurred pics due to handshakes, or the classic - forget to remove lens cap, even shooting at RAW u can't save it under PS.

RAW or NEF (nikon) allows u to play with ur pics in post-processing. some mags and books i read, the authors strongly encouraged readers to shoot RAW becos of this. however, while this may be good, its not good if u got hundreds of pics to adjust the temp, exposure etc... after a while, it gets tiresome. so, best shoot with the correct settings so dat u dun have so much PS to do later, IMO.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Thanks a lot guys! Now it is more clear to me..

I'm quite forgetful on setting, especially ISO. And sometimes there isn't much time to play with the settings, & worse, my skill is still not there yet, thus I think RAW suit me quite well.
    I got a portable storage & thanks to the recent 2Gb CF MO, got myself one, hence, size is not much of a problem to me.

Thanks again!