Thread: Which is better? REAL Leather Case or Synthetic Leather Case for your camera?

Default Which is better? REAL Leather Case or Synthetic Leather Case for your camera?

Hi,

Which is better? To use REAL Leather Case or Synthetic Leather Case for your camera?
    What I worried about using Real leather case is the growth of mould or mildew.

Considering real leather case is more expensive than synthetic leather case, what are the + points?

Or it doesn't really matter?

~Leyash

Default Re: Which is better? REAL Leather Case or Synthetic Leather Case for your camera?

Fabric with padding sounds better imo...
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Default Re: Which is better? REAL Leather Case or Synthetic Leather Case for your camera?

Quote Originally Posted by leyash111 View Post
    Hi,

Which is better? To use REAL Leather Case or Synthetic Leather Case for your camera?

Considering real leather case is more expensive than synthetic leather case, what are the + points?

~Leyash
    It doesn't really matter actually... all the other claims are merely marketing gimicks... and the main difference in my opinion was that I can show off something along the line - "My case is made of real leather from Italy, while yours is a cheap plastic knock off from China sweatshop."
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

How about the mould and mildew? Actually I found a 2nd hand real leather case, cheaper than a synthetic leather case, just that I am worried about the mould and mildew, just paranoid about my camera and lens being "infected"...

You might need to check thoroughly... but if it was me... I wouldn't bother to buy. Never know what the first owner did to it.
    My lousy shots

Leather is organic, though treated. Fungus lives on organic material, so it's a permanent thing to keep checked. Fabric with padding can be washed to remove any organic material (from your sweat, skin, hairs..). Regarding your camera: it also depends on how long the camera is inside and where it is stored. If the case is just for transport then it's fine. But storing the camera inside the case is calling for fungus anyway, regardless whether leather or not.
    EOS

Blog Entries

just personal preferences

I prefer a real leather half case BUT a synthetic camera strap ...... and I like this because

1. good leather, that is taken care of properly, ages and matures beautifully over time and carries your little stories
    2. it smells ...... good ....
    2. avoid leather straps if you are lazy about maintaing them.....almost EVERY leather camera strap I have from the 1960s and 1970s becomes dry and brittle and breaks with a short smart tug

Leather HAND STRAPS are OK if you use them often because the natural oils from your hands (ha ha and sometimes the char kway teow on your fingers) actually keeps the leather conditioned
    Last edited by ed9119; 26th August 2011 at 11:21 PM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Interesting to know the preference of the different people and also now I learnt why some real leather case can sell for over $100

Cheers!!

Quote Originally Posted by leyash111 View Post
    Interesting to know the preference of the different people and also now I learnt why some real leather case can sell for over $100

Cheers!!
    Selling over $100 is nothing man. Some sold for near to a thousand. Anyway, I was once doing accessories to my company's MP3 player and we approached a manufacturer from Turkey. We even went there for audit of their factory and process... there, they told us that fake leather (synthetic leather) nowaday could achieve basically everything a real leather could, even smell, appearance and whatever... there is basically no way normal bystanders like myself could differentiate between a real deal or a fake one.

So basically... if you really want leather, just get the cheaper one. Afterall... they all look alike
    My lousy shots

When I think about it, one of the factors depends on whether or not you have a vegan lifestyle.
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

Quote Originally Posted by bonrya View Post
    When I think about it, one of the factors depends on whether or not you have a vegan lifestyle.
    Thumbs up haha...

true about differentiating real and fake leather thank you for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by leyash111
    Hi,

~Leyash
    What's the difference anyway?

Can u tell us the benefit of using real leather?

Quote Originally Posted by donut88 View Post
    What's the difference anyway?
    Can u tell us the benefit of using real leather?
    It's the same as 'what's the benefit of using film?' It feels differently and many just like it without having a list of advantages.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine
    It's the same as 'what's the benefit of using film?' It feels differently and many just like it without having a list of advantages.
    Agree.