Thread: Stacking teleconverter 1.4x + 2.0x Sigma

Default Stacking teleconverter 1.4x + 2.0x Sigma

Hiee...

Just would like to share one observation today while trying out - out of curiosity on how the performance of the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 APo lens perform at a worst case desperate double stack of teleconverters. I was trying out on a black and white T-Max so that i could process it at home.

The film was scanned at 1800dpi - although i could have scanned it at 2400dpi ( the highest i could go).

I was just looking at the image at 25% and was kinda curious on what the black area path details would be, to my surprise, even at the max 560mm and aperture stopped down to f11......zoomed at 100% i found that the setup could capture the detail of the wire mesh.....

The camera was on a tripod.....and a cable release was used + Pre fire mirror up....

Foussing was put at MF - and focus verified with a angle finder a 2x...

From the above, it could be seen that the mesh detail is still intact - probably with the help of the tripod + pre fire MLU...

rgds,
    sulhan

This is like the guy who uses a CP filter and shoot thru a dark tinted glass window.

Or remove the pants first before farting!!!

Quote Originally Posted by smallaperture
    This is like the guy who uses a CP filter and shoot thru a dark tinted glass window.

Or remove the pants first before farting!!!
    What do you mean by that? The way you say is like the guy who shoot with your mouth. He just want to do some testing and share the result with us, is that against your principle or what?

If you mean this phrase "The camera was on a tripod.....and a cable release was used + Pre fire mirror up...."

Well, even with Tripod and cable release, there is still vibration from mirror slapping and thus a pre fire mirror up give that extra 2 sec for the camera to stablise. At 560mm a minor shake can show, especially at slow speed.
    Last edited by blurblock; 10th October 2004 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sulhan
    Hiee...

Just would like to share one observation today while trying out - out of curiosity on how the performance of the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 APo lens perform at a worst case desperate double stack of teleconverters. I was trying out on a black and white T-Max so that i could process it at home.

The film was scanned at 1800dpi - although i could have scanned it at 2400dpi ( the highest i could go).

I was just looking at the image at 25% and was kinda curious on what the black area path details would be, to my surprise, even at the max 560mm and aperture stopped down to f11......zoomed at 100% i found that the setup could capture the detail of the wire mesh.....

The camera was on a tripod.....and a cable release was used + Pre fire mirror up....

Foussing was put at MF - and focus verified with a angle finder a 2x...

From the above, it could be seen that the mesh detail is still intact - probably with the help of the tripod + pre fire MLU...

rgds,
    sulhan
    Anyway, nice test, using a APO f/2.8 and lost three stops of light will yield F8, thus I guess at F11 the detail should still be quite ok.

hmmm....interesting, thanks for sharing

not much lost of detail as one might have expected.

wonder what the result will be if the lens is stack with extension tube + 1.4x + 2x !!! this will yield a closer view on the subject without too close distance, and since macro shoot at around f8 - f16, so should be quite ok..... anyone want to try