Thread: learning to capture foods

Default learning to capture foods

Hi all need ur advise pls. wat equipment do i need for food photoshot and can a film camera able to do it ?
    if film can do it which iso film u all think will be suitable thanks

Default Re: learning to capture foods

Quote Originally Posted by cure75 View Post
    Hi all need ur advise pls. wat equipment do i need for food photoshot and can a film camera able to do it ?
    if film can do it which iso film u all think will be suitable thanks
    Hi,Film or digital ,both can be used but it's the lens that matter and one with macro(a short zoom?) is most useful but a standard 50mm prime lens can get by.
    I would think a digital setup would be cheaper since you're learning what with the cost of film,developing and printing or scanning to
    digital file.With digital it's instant feedback from the lcd display.Even a point and shoot type will do(they include macro ability).You will need one external flash(with bracket for dslr) but the pop up flash on camera will do for the moment unless you shoot by available/existing light.
    Last edited by one eye jack; 25th August 2011 at 03:48 PM.

Yes... a 50mm is good for food photography. Depending on your environment, you might want to have a flash too.

And yes, film camera can be use. But I would recommend a digital camera (at least to me... it is easier and cheaper).
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

i will recommand tamron 17-50mm for food shoot
    EOS 5D mark 2|carl zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 | 35L |Nissin Di622 Mark 2

thanks all cause i'm using film right now hehehehehhe
    just want to know which iso film i should use for indoor food photography hehehe thanks

just want to know which iso film i should use for indoor food photography hehehe thanks
    Have you spend some time reading about ISO? It's the same with film as with digital, basically: shot with lowest ISO possible. There are films with ISO64 out there.
    Usually food is immobile (let's put aside some freaky Korean / Japanese live food games), so you can afford setting up a tripod and use slow shutter speeds. Secondly, you'll have plenty of time to setup and arrange lights (unless you intend to snap somewhere at Kopitiam). Both together has more impact on your results then the question of ISO for film. Light, food setup and composition should be your main focus. In terms of lenses, anything from 10mm to 100mm is possible, select according your needs and intentions. For further reading you may use the Search function, upper right hand. It works, despite of all the repeated excuses.
    EOS

Basically it is very difficult for any of us to give you any meaningful suggestion because none of us will know what is the environment of your shoot, might be very dark, might be very bright (even indoor). What I can suggest is... use an external flash whenever possible and like what Daredevil had explained, you can choose the lowest ISO film available...
    My lousy shots

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    ....and like what Daredevil had explained, you can choose the lowest ISO film available...
    ????????????

I think Octarine's answer just about sums it up. It's not about your gear -- you can get great shots with a compact if you know what you are doing. Composition, lighting and styling are what make the shot great. If you're using a film SLR, a standard lens or zoom would meet most needs.
    As said before, low ISO film is better quality. If you're coming from digital to film, you might be surprised how grainy ISO 400 film is. Keep to 100 and below for best results.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    ????????????
    oops I mean Octarine.
    My lousy shots