Thread: Wedding Photography Lenses

Default Wedding Photography Lenses

Hi all,

I am going to help a friend take some pics of the wedding. I am more of an extra as they have already a pro photographer.

I was considering to get a 85mm/F1.4. But after reading up, I find that 70-200mm seems to be more popular.

I already have a 17-35mm/F2.8-4, 28-75mm/F2.8, a 50mm/F1.4 and a 75-300mm/F4.5-6.3.

Which lens would you recommend, or do you think my lenses is more than sufficient.

And also, would most of you prefer to use zoom lenses or prime lenses for wedding days. Pros and cons?
    Flickr :: Alpha 850 :: 50F1.4 :: 28-75F2.8 :: 17-35F2.8 ::

Default Re: Wedding Photography Lenses

search for wedding photography. your thread's topic has been discussed many many times

Same Topic and Feeling kinda of bore here

Blog Entries

yup seen lots of thread about wedding photography~!.. just search for it..
    Lousy de My Flickr

Your current set of lenses is enough. You have all the focal length range and large aperture covered. Since u are not the main photographer, u will have lots of time to change lenses for all you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Freed View Post
    Hi all,

I am going to help a friend take some pics of the wedding. I am more of an extra as they have already a pro photographer.

I was considering to get a 85mm/F1.4. But after reading up, I find that 70-200mm seems to be more popular.

I already have a 17-35mm/F2.8-4, 28-75mm/F2.8, a 50mm/F1.4 and a 75-300mm/F4.5-6.3.

Which lens would you recommend, or do you think my lenses is more than sufficient.

And also, would most of you prefer to use zoom lenses or prime lenses for wedding days. Pros and cons?
    Hi, Equipment wise you are covered but for practicality sake 28-75 is most useful as you don't need to change lens much and perhaps the
    75-300mm ,particularly from 250-300mm shot for that compressed field of view and completely blurred background.As reportage photography is currently in vogue you really need to have a sense of anticipation and capture the moment,it's not easy but with digital you can shoot plenty of frames for assurance.Good luck.

Well getting 85mm lens just for 1 wedding seems like a waste of money to me. Since you are not the main photographer, you won't want to stand too near to the main photographer and obstruct his work. In that case I think you might want to shoot through a longer focal length as you might not be near to the wedding couple. Say if the main photographer is using 50mm effective focal length then if you are behind the photographer you might want to shoot at 75mm? Again, depends on the body you use.

Prime or zoom is up to individual's preference because the shooting styles might be different.

get the 1.4 series
    24/1.4, 50/1.4 and 85/1.4

TS has a prime lens and 3 zoom lenses and still asks for the Pros and Cons? No lens will help you if you are still on that stage. Read the other similar threads, pelnty of advice and hopefully you'll notice that equipment is not the main point.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by mazeppa26 View Post
    get the 1.4 series
    24/1.4, 50/1.4 and 85/1.4
    You also need the 2.8 series: 14-24/2.8, 24-70/2.8, and 70-200/2.8.

And don't forget also to add the 600mm in case you need the reach.

Of course, you will need 3 D3s bodies to go along.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    You also need the 2.8 series: 14-24/2.8, 24-70/2.8, and 70-200/2.8.

And don't forget also to add the 600mm in case you need the reach.

Of course, you will need 3 D3s bodies to go along.
    being very helpful, are we? but at least this is better than asking people to google, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309

being very helpful, are we? but at least this is better than asking people to google, yes?
    Everyone having fun so I also join in lor.

Lens wise, TS is fully covered. What he need is a good external flash because alot of his shots must be done with a flash.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

TS, your current gear are already sufficient. In fact, your gears are better than many who are shooting weddings for a living.

First of all, you must ask yourself:

1) why you want to take photos in a wedding, besides helping your friend take extra photos although your friend has already hired a pro photographer?
    2) what kind of photos you want to take in a wedding?
    3) what are you going to do with the photos after you have captured them?
    4) how would you like to express your styles in these photos? *photography is an art, not mass production

If you know the answers, you will know what kind of gear to use to help you achieve these shots.
    If you don't know the answers, even if you have the best and most expensive gears, you won't be able to capture the nice shots as seen from the professionals.

If you still don't know the answers on the day of your friend's wedding, it doesn't matter what camera gears you use, even a small iPhone is good enough already. Hence, save the money from buying another new lens or new camera. Focus on searching the answers so you'll know what to do in the future.

** Don't photograph for the sake of photograph
    Last edited by kentwong81; 26th August 2011 at 10:56 AM.
    Kent Wong Photography |Leica Q & Leica M-P 240 | 75 & 28mm Summilux

Quote Originally Posted by Freed View Post
    Hi all,

since your friend already hired a pro photographer, not sure what you intend to put across during your wedding? what if the pro only using one or two lenses, and you flashing all the pro lenses around, people will start wondering who is the "truth photographer" on your friend's wedding day?

anyway, just a friendly advice, use a lens you most familiar with and stay discreet, stay out of the way of the pro photographer, I'm sure you don't want to make him miss some of the shots or appear in most of the shots he took, or being the stars of your friend wedding.

hope this make sense to you.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio