Thread: Using flash indoors

Default Using flash indoors

When I use my built-in flash indoors, taking photos of people, their faces are very nicely exposed,but yet the background becomes all dark/black...
    is there any way to reduce/prevent this?

Quote Originally Posted by sid8888
    When I use my built-in flash indoors, taking photos of people, their faces are very nicely exposed,but yet the background becomes all dark/black...
    Increase ISO

Default Re: Using flash indoors

Increase your ISO and drag your shutter.

what do u mean by drag shutter?

http://www.wedpix.com/articles/013/d...-weddings.html

Depending on the situation, bounce flash might help. Or secondary flash to light the background. Or even no flash at all, just increase ISO and use ambient light. Lots of solutions, depending on exact circumstances and desired effect.

Do not use P or Auto mode which treat flash as main light and hence under exposed background. Use either M, Av or Tv which treat flash as fill light.

Quote Originally Posted by GRbenji View Post
    Do not use P or Auto mode which treat flash as main light and hence under exposed background. Use either M, Av or Tv which treat flash as fill light.
    AFAIK, that only applies to Canon systems. Think TS is on Pentax.

Find the ISO option in the menu and just adjust it to a higher value, or I wonder if you have turn on the flash lamp.

if not, shotting with the flash lamp turning on can make the picture more clear.

You will have to use slow shutter with rear sync flash to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by sid8888 View Post
    Use a slower shutter speed if u want to lighten up background in flash photography. Use a tripod if the speed is low and u have difficulty to handheld yr camera steadily.
    Last edited by LFC25; 25th August 2011 at 08:03 PM.