Thread: blogshop studio setup?

Default blogshop studio setup?

Hi all,

I just started learning about setting up a studio and getting a DSLR, but am quite confused which camera is good to get. I dont really need a elite DSLR to do the shooting but a basic one to adjust the color temperature and the lighting exposure.

As I am about to get the mini studio setup strobe flash, the salesman did mention that it would be better off for me to get a DSLR else I would not be able to control much of the lightings.

Can any kind souls pls advise me on what camera might be useful? preferred one with a budget.

Thank so much for ur helps in advance ^_^

Default Re: blogshop studio setup?

wow... you don't even have a DSLR... nor do i even think you know how to handle one..... have you used an SLR before?

and despite all that you're intending to jump straight into studio shoots?

start small and learn the basics first bro.

No comments about which Camera or DSLR to get, the stickies should provide you more than enough information to decide...But if you want to learn about lightings, here is a good read: http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

i believe this is a place for noobs like me to ask questions and hopefully get a better idea on what we should move on.

I cherish all advise but hope that people wont be sarcastic ^_^

I have done studio shoots with DSLR, did not really get it right. but still learning. so whats wrong with learning? and I did mention its for a blogshop setup so obviously im setting it up for my own business. so how small u want me to go? to take yrs of training before i start moving on with my business?

thank you skystrike, will read up on it ^_^

1) if you don't learn properly first, you won't be able to get a proper picture. if you can't get a proper picture, you've got nothing to show your customers. then maybe you should get someone else, or a friend who knows what he/she is doing to cover you while you get acquainted with your set-up

2) it's not easy to handle lighting especially if you're currently not able to get it to work right. you might actually end up giving yourself a bigger headache in the end

just my two cents

btw i've handled with nikon D90 and canon 600D

but the issue is with my current studio setup is that its using constant lights instead of strobes.

im hoping to see if anyone knows any cheaper DSLR that can do the job of a basic studio shoot ^_^

Sometimes asking for advise is not advisable just go with your heart and since you mentioned
    that you have done studio shoots before then it should not be a problem for you
    5D/5D3/Zeiss/28-85/100 F2/200 F4/50 F1.4/70-200/24-85/85 F1.4
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeisser/

Quote Originally Posted by aphro6677 View Post
    btw i've handled with nikon D90 and canon 600D

but the issue is with my current studio setup is that its using constant lights instead of strobes.

im hoping to see if anyone knows any cheaper DSLR that can do the job of a basic studio shoot ^_^
    You can get the cheapest DSLRs out there, like a Pentax or a Sony A290 (about 620 with lens). That will be more than you need. Or just get a second-hand DSLR. Also more than you'll ever need.
    Alpha

thank u so much zeisser, thought i would be more clear after getting some advise on what to get

but think the only things ive got is people bitching about how fail i am or how im gonna fail

so ya ill heed your advise zeisser, think ill just follow my heart! thanks!

thanks raskae. am thinking of getting a second hand dslr but was quite worried that it may not work as well, but ill do check it out ^_^

that's what happens when you don't specify everything in your first post. you leave everything to everyone to probe and guess what the issue is. and it's full of assumptions to those who are trying to give actual advice.

for me... constant lighting is HOT and no model will be able to stand under it for long. hence the use of strobes. hmm... if you want, just go for any 2nd-hand DSLR (except the Sony SLTs). e.g. 550D, D7000, A550, all these can do the job for you. just shoot in RAW and edit. that's what i would do

as long the camera has manual mode and custom/preset WB is good enough, I think I can shoot studio with a D3100 with kit lens, using flash or contentious light
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

thanks kei! ur advise helps! thats the same feedback that i get form my models, thats why im intending to start with strobes! thanks for the models! will look into it

Quote Originally Posted by aphro6677 View Post
    thanks raskae. am thinking of getting a second hand dslr but was quite worried that it may not work as well, but ill do check it out ^_^
    For a blogshop?? Seriously a cheap point and shoot or even a cellphone cam will do. Blogshops do not have a high standard for photography.
    Alpha

ty catchlights, just worried that a minimum model of DSLR will be needed to do such shots ^_^

I am with bro Rashkae, any cheap DSLR should work for you. As for which 1, perhaps u should try out different brands and see which interface suits u more?
    Lens wise, I think the kit lens that comes with the camera should be good enough, since u will probably be shooting in small aperture for studio anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    that's what happens when you don't specify everything in your first post. you leave everything to everyone to probe and guess what the issue is. and it's full of assumptions to those who are trying to give actual advice.

for me... constant lighting is HOT and no model will be able to stand under it for long. hence the use of strobes. hmm... if you want, just go for any 2nd-hand DSLR (except the Sony SLTs). e.g. 550D, D7000, A550, all these can do the job for you. just shoot in RAW and edit. that's what i would do
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    For a blogshop?? Seriously a cheap point and shoot or even a cellphone cam will do. Blogshops do not have a high standard for photography.
    I will go Kelantan Lane buy a few 4ft fluorescent lamps to use as main light, cheap and good.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

thanks all!

was just uncertain of which camera to buy, thanks to your feedbacks. ill just source for a second hand dslr with a kit lens. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by aphro6677
    thanks all!

was just uncertain of which camera to buy, thanks to your feedbacks. ill just source for a second hand dslr with a kit lens. ^_^
    I thought all the clothes supplier got picture with model?
    U can use their photo ma.