Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ocean Financial Centre celebrates opening with Light Up! Photo Contest 2011

Deregistered

Wasak2000, cool it lah. Kei1309 meant well when he explained what works and what doesn't in his perspective.
    Only issue is after transforming from House MD to Kyoko Fukada, still as cynical and straight forward as ever.
    And please don't show your pink frocks, I'm still trying to get it out of my mind.

Default Re: Ocean Financial Centre celebrates opening with Light Up! Photo Contest 2011

Quote Originally Posted by loneWolff View Post
    Wasak2000, cool it lah. Kei1309 meant well when he explained what works and what doesn't in his perspective.
    Only issue is after transforming from House MD to Kyoko Fukada, still as cynical and straight forward as ever.
    And please don't show your pink frocks, I'm still trying to get it out of my mind.
    haha bro. pink frock >.<

what i'm saying is the idea of isolating the building. but to do it better, would be to get a better exposure. the rest of the buildings will still be dimmer. currently your Ocean Financial Center is still underexposed.

not that i'm attacking Wasak2000 (please don't take every critique as an offense and challenge to your works). free up your mind and take every critique to learn how it can be better.

btw, i was in the area but but shooting something else. i did walk by but totally shagged out to shoot it.

Default Re: Ocean Financial Centre celebrates opening with Light Up! Photo Contest 2011

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    haha bro. pink frock >.<

what i'm saying is the idea of isolating the building. but to do it better, would be to get a better exposure. the rest of the buildings will still be dimmer. currently your Ocean Financial Center is still underexposed.

not that i'm attacking Wasak2000 (please don't take every critique as an offense and challenge to your works). free up your mind and take every critique to learn how it can be better.

btw, i was in the area but but shooting something else. i did walk by but totally shagged out to shoot it.
    I do respect everyone's right to have an opinion on anything but next time you critique something make sure you have something to back it up... I was so shagged to shoot it blah blah blah.... what a bunch of crap.... I will probably respect your opinion more if you let your pictures do the talking for you... from where I'm standing all I see is all talk and no walk

"Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves"
    Last edited by wasak2000; 4th September 2011 at 10:22 PM.
    D3100

Even if the title stated so, the organiser only accept photos taken during the light show? There is no ambient light to speak of at that time of the day and the night lights seemed too weak to have any significant impact on the photos I've seen so far. It might not have been a photographic opportunity to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    Even if the title stated so, the organiser only accept photos taken during the light show? There is no ambient light to speak of at that time of the day and the night lights seemed too weak to have any significant impact on the photos I've seen so far. It might not have been a photographic opportunity to begin with.
    thank you for pointing this out..... its easy to criticize and say yeah I was there but didn't shoot it cause I was shagged ..... the challenge for me was how do i make my picture standout since there was a bunch of other photographers from where I was (MBS) sure I could have taken the typical Singapore night skyline picture but where is the fun in that? you end up with the same boring picture I decided to play and experiment different angles different exposures etc... i didn't care at least i was sure i was going to get a different picture...
    D3100

I am cool.... I just want to see if Kei1309 can back up all his talk with some walk had the criticism come from one of the more respected members here I would have accepted it taken the advice but coming from him nah... i don't think so
    Last edited by wasak2000; 4th September 2011 at 11:10 PM.
    D3100

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by wasak2000

I am cool.... I just want to see if Kei1309 can back up all his talk with some walk had the criticism come from one of the more respected members here I would have accepted it taken the advice but coming from him nah... i don't think so
    Hope I don't need to have my sub-par pictures to back me up.

well. one reason was i was too shagged. two, i only arrived after the show ended and saw people keeping their gear.

oh well. it's boring to fight with people who are defending their works.

happy shooting.

oh and, hope you win.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wasak2000 View Post
    Hope I don't need to have my sub-par pictures to back me up.
    sorry but no go at this.

i dun NEED to know how to cook chicken rice to know when chicken rice is good.
    i dun NEED to show tat i can make brilliant photographs to know when a photo is good.

if ya think the criticism was unjustified, just ignore and move on. asking for a picture in return to me is just illogical...

ps: not taking sides here. just only saw this comment, targeted at this comment only. i'll browse through the thread later to take a look

edit: just scanned through. sorry but i have to concur with kei on this one... the zooming effect might fool those who just started photography/ amatuers, but to a large extent i dun see sufficient composition and balance in the image...

the sky is just too dark as mentioned by Kit. there are ways to shoot a night scene though.
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 5th September 2011 at 09:59 AM.

thank you for pointing this out..... its easy to criticize and say yeah I was there but didn't shoot it cause I was shagged ..... the challenge for me was how do i make my picture standout since there was a bunch of other photographers from where I was (MBS) sure I could have taken the typical Singapore night skyline picture but where is the fun in that? you end up with the same boring picture I decided to play and experiment different angles different exposures etc... i didn't care at least i was sure i was going to get a different picture...
    I hope you realise that my comment was not directed at anyone here in particular. I'm not really commenting on the quality of photographs shown here as well. Just voicing some issues with the timing in which photographers were made to make their shots for the competition.

Is there a website on which we can see other entries?

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Kit

I hope you realise that my comment was not directed at anyone here in particular. I'm not really commenting on the quality of photographs shown here as well. Just voicing some issues with the timing in which photographers were made to make their shots for the competition.

Is there a website on which we can see other entries?
    Hi Kit, glad to see you back to active station in here.
    No response from the organizer since Thursday so it is a totally no idea situation.

Quote Originally Posted by dariusateconsulting View Post
    Capture the essence of Ocean Financial Centre’s grand launch during the spectacular LED light display on 31 August 2011 at 9.15pm!

Ocean Financial Centre’s ‘Light Up! Photo Contest 2011’ aims to gather all photography-enthusiasts, professionals and budding photographers, to take part in this historical moment where the new building will be unveiled, accompanied by a spectacular LED light show.

Witness for yourself the remarkable launch of an icon of today, tomorrow and the future.

Send your entries to - entries@ofcphotocontest.com

Top 3 winners stand to win fantastic prizes from Nikon worth more than $SGD8,000!

- D700 Kit (AF-S 50MM/f1.8G – includes CF Card, Card Reader, Camera Case, Cleaning Kit)
    - D7000 Kit (AF-S 18-105mm VR – includes SD Card, Card Reader, Camera Case, Cleaning Kit, Tripod)
    - D5100 Kit (AF-S 18-55mm VR – includes SD Card, Card Reader, Camera Case, Cleaning Kit, Tripod)

Start date: 31 August 2011

Deadline for submissions 2 September 2011

Terms & conditions:
    1) This contest is open to anyone, except directors and employees of Keppel Land, who is at least 18 years old on the date of their entry.

2) The light-up of Ocean Financial Centre will commence at about 9.15pm on 31 August 2011. All Light Up! Photo Contest entries must be submitted via email to entries@ofcphotocontest.com by 11.59 pm on 2 September 2011 (Singapore time) together with his/her name, NRIC/Passport, email address and contact number. Photos sent via any other means, including by uploading on the contest Facebook page will not be considered as entries submitted for this contest.

3) Files submitted must be at least 72dpi and between 1MB and 3MB in size. The photographer must also keep a copy of a 300dpi resolution in case his/ her photo is selected for the exhibition.

4) Entries received after 11.59pm on 2 September 2011 (Singapore time) will be disqualified. Keppel Land will not accept responsibility for damaged or illegible or corrupted entries.

5) Each participant can only submit one photograph that has not been previously entered in any other photography contest. Participants who submit more than one photograph under his/her name and NRIC/ Passport will be disqualified from the contest. All participants must own the copyright of their entry and ensure that their entry does not infringe the rights of any third party nor have breached any laws or regulations.

6) A panel of judges will select the top 3 photos from the entries. All entries must satisfy the following criteria:

a) An exterior night image of Ocean Financial Centre that must feature the building during the light show on 31 August 2011;b) Must not infringe on or violate any other person’s or entity’s rights, including any rights of privacy, publicity or intellectual property rights, including but not limited to copyrights infringement;
    c) Must not contain any nudity, lewd or vulgar behaviour; and
    d) Must not be excessively digitally or otherwise enhanced or altered.

7) Winners will be notified by mail within 30 days from 2 September 2011. Details on the prize collection will be made known to the winners later. All prizes are to be collected in Singapore by winners

8) Prizes are not exchangeable for cash or any benefit or alternative in kind.

9) Keppel Land reserves the right to use or reproduce any/all submitted photo entries and/or publish the names of participants for any marketing, publicity or promotional purposes. All participants are deemed to have agreed to give Keppel Land a non-exclusive license to use or publish their entries. Each participant is deemed to consent to such use with no monetary payment.

10) Keppel Land reserves the right to exclude any entry from the contest at any time and at its absolute discretion if Keppel Land has reason to believe that an entrant has breached these terms and conditions. All Keppel Land’s actions and decisions shall be exercised at its own absolute discretion and are final and not subject to review. No discussion or correspondence will be entertained.

11) Keppel Land reserves the right to replace the prizes with items of similar value at any time without prior notice.

12) Keppel Land shall not be responsible for the merchantability or quality for any purpose or any other aspects of the prizes or the replacement items.

13) Keppel Land shall not be liable to any participant or any party, whether in contract or tort (including negligence) or otherwise, for any liabilities, losses and damages, claims, costs and expenses or for any special or consequential damages or losses in connection with, related to or resulting from the prizes or the replacement items or from participating in this contest.

14) By entering into the contest, each participant agrees to hold harmless, defend and fully indemnify Keppel Land from and against all losses, damages, expenses and all third party actions, proceedings, claims, demands, costs, awards and damages arising as a result of the participant’s entry to the contest, including without limitation any breach by the participant of any laws or infringement of any rights.

15) Keppel Land reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of this contest without any prior notice.

16) Keppel Land may terminate this contest at any time at its absolute discretion and with or without any prior notice and reason. For the avoidance of doubt, the cancellation, termination or suspension by Keppel Land shall not entitle any person to any claim or compensation against Keppel Land for any and all losses or damages suffered or incurred as a direct or indirect result of the act of cancellation, termination or suspension.
    Looks like they only accept photos taken during the light up. In that case, photographers will have no choice but to deal with the weak ambient lighting. Still, I believe there are ways to create something different than the "regular boring cityscape" type of work.

Hi, I think what you did is really cool. I know this place very well and i know where this building is. It is tuck in between so many buildings there and to really talk about composition for this one, it is really not much you can do to be different from others. What you did is very creative and definitely away from the typical boring cityscape shots. There are basics that we all learn and I believe that creativity will sometimes break away from all these basics to achieve what is in our hearts and through our eyes and I believe you did that.
    Nitpick - For exposure maybe can increase a little and vertical can straighten out a bit more.

Good luck..
    Last edited by MGohzxc; 5th September 2011 at 04:17 PM.

Hi Kit, glad to see you back to active station in here.
    No response from the organizer since Thursday so it is a totally no idea situation.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ocean-...40536656031933
    According to this facebook page, the winners will be contacted within the next few days.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Zeddy
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ocean-...40536656031933
    According to this facebook page, the winners will be contacted within the next few days.
    Zeddy, thanks for the heads up.
    Guess I wasn't diligent enough to search for more information.

Quote Originally Posted by MGohzxc View Post

Hi, I think what you did is really cool. I know this place very well and i know where this building is. It is tuck in between so many buildings there and to really talk about composition for this one, it is really not much you can do to be different from others. What you did is very creative and definitely away from the typical boring cityscape shots. There are basics that we all learn and I believe that creativity will sometimes break away from all these basics to achieve what is in our hearts and through our eyes and I believe you did that.
    Nitpick - For exposure maybe can increase a little and vertical can straighten out a bit more.

Good luck..
    like i pointed out here earlier you really were boxed in with regards to exposure if you expose it correctly you end up with one color on the LED show... yep i agree with your straighten comment...
    D3100

sorry but no go at this.

i dun NEED to show tat i can make brilliant photographs to know when a photo is good.

if ya think the criticism was unjustified, just ignore and move on. asking for a picture in return to me is just illogical...

his critique went into technical details like composition and exposure so i had to call him out to check if he was technically competent to be a fair arbiter ...had he just to said " i don't like the picture its too dark and too messy " i would have left it at that...

the problem with this place right now is we have too many people lurking around with thousands of posts in this forum and they have an opinion on basically everything but if you look thru all the BS you see nothing... just all bark and no bite

ps: not taking sides here. just only saw this comment, targeted at this comment only. i'll browse through the thread later to take a look

edit: just scanned through. sorry but i have to concur with kei on this one... the zooming effect might fool those who just started photography/ amatuers, but to a large extent i dun see sufficient composition and balance in the image...

you cater to your expected audience bro I don't think Joe Mcnally or Ansel Adams is going to judge any contest here in the near future... if they were then we probably wont have too many fisheye contest winners here right? we could talk about composition exposure etc... all day but what matters in the end is how the audience would feel when looking at the image..... I just use the basic rules as a guide bro for me its not the be all and end all of everything... you of all people should know this better...let me tell you why... your prize winning photo... the one of you in bed? it wasn't really technically perfect right? but it had heart and you get an emotion when you look at it thats what made it a great picture... congrats by the way keep it up and maybe next time there will be someone next to you in bed hehehe...

the sky is just too dark as mentioned by Kit. there are ways to shoot a night scene though.

like how would you have done it? this is an honest question
    Last edited by wasak2000; 5th September 2011 at 11:14 PM.
    D3100

Blog Entries

sorry but no go at this.

his critique went into technical details like composition and exposure so i had to call him out to check if he was technically competent to be a fair arbiter ...had he just to said " i don't like the picture its too dark and too messy " i would have left it at that...

the problem with this place right now is we have too many people lurking around with thousands of posts in this forum and they have an opinion on basically everything but if you look thru all the BS you see nothing... just all bark and no bite

you cater to your expected audience bro I don't think Joe Mcnally or Ansel Adams is going to judge any contest here in the near future... if they were then we probably wont have too many fisheye contest winners here right? we could talk about composition exposure etc... all day but what matters in the end is how the audience would feel when looking at the image..... I just use the basic rules as a guide bro for me its not the be all and end all of everything... you of all people should know this better...let me tell you why... your prize winning photo... the one of you in bed? it wasn't really technically perfect right? but it had heart and you get an emotion when you look at it thats what made it a great picture... congrats by the way keep it up and maybe next time there will be someone next to you in bed hehehe...

like how would you have done it? this is an honest question
    1: it wasnt just 1 photo. it was a series of 7.

2: winning wasnt the purpose of the workshop. it was meant to be a challenging experience to push yourself to be self critical and more aware of what we are shooting. everyone who was with me did equally well. programme was never meant to be a competition, but rather a intense workshop for like minded people to learn from ppl in the industry. the award, i oddly suspect, was requested by the sponsors just to keep youths interested. the original version of the programme has many ppl signing up as far as i know, and still is one of the leading workshops in singapore.

3: exposure blending would be one method. find a nice vantage point, with a good view, probably from a high building if there is one nearby. get a few exposures, one for the lights, one for the sky (if there is sufficient light pollution).

there is no such thing as technically perfect. its just how it might best bring out the emotion or feeling or an idea. i'm pretty sure there are better ways.

the problem with zooming is that it adds in unnecessary light trails that can break a picture. especially when its that dark, and only a few lights, it can be potentially distracting. if ur gonna zoom, then perhaps u might want to consider how it adds value to draw attention to the building? my problem is more with the "zooming", because if u did that, there is no composition anymore. its just.... a blackhole to the center, with repeated images of other buildings. for me, the Fullerton stands out, along with the red yellow lines as they are of the highest contrast.

or another is just blow the highlights, but get the building...
    sample here

personally i'll pick the former. if there was a nice light show, it makes no sense for me to want to add to a zoom. the lightshow shld enhance the image. blurred light trails, i prefer, to use it to get rid of distracting lights. try looking for LTL's shot with the light trails at masskara festival. the blur removes an otherwise distracting bg, and draws attention to the subject (aka the performer).

the latter might not work, if the lights are going to be variable. u will get white.

the challenge of shooting in the CBD, is that it is tough to isolate 1 building. u have to integrate all the surrounding buildings, watch for balance, and still keep the focus on the building that u are shooting with the lightshow.

ultimately its down to personal preference. i'll wish u all the best for the competition.

anyways we side tracked a lot from the purpose of the original thread. i think i'll just stop here. ciao
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 6th September 2011 at 10:15 AM.

If you want critique, post in the appropriate thread in its respective gallery or Critique Corner.

Like wise if you want to post critique, don't willy-nilly offer your opinion in irrelevant threads.

Suggest if the discussion continues, either start it in Feedback, Kopitiam or Critique Corner.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo
    If you want critique, post in the appropriate thread in its respective gallery or Critique Corner.

Like wise if you want to post critique, don't willy-nilly offer your opinion in irrelevant threads.

Suggest if the discussion continues, either start it in Feedback, Kopitiam or Critique Corner.
    Sorry about the OT.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast