Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: WMA file

  1. #1

    Default WMA file

    Hi....just got a new mp3 player and it also accept WMA file format. Anyone
    know what's WMA and how can I make use of it ? Does it mean that I can
    download songs from CDs to WMA format ?

    Thanks a zillion !

  2. #2
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    www.fuzzyeyeballs.com
    Posts
    8,242

    Default

    WMA is an audio file format developed by Microsoft, the maker of Windows Media Player

    You can convert audio CD tracks to WMA using Windows Media Player

  3. #3

    Default

    Thanks renegade. I've got some tracks saved on the hard disk and always use Window Media player to play. Mind to go thru with me how to convert
    these tracks to WMA format ? Thanks in advance.

  4. #4
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    www.fuzzyeyeballs.com
    Posts
    8,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cookiez
    Thanks renegade. I've got some tracks saved on the hard disk and always use Window Media player to play. Mind to go thru with me how to convert
    these tracks to WMA format ? Thanks in advance.
    You want to convert audio CD tracks to WMA or mp3 files to wma?

  5. #5

    Default

    audio CD tracks to WMA.

  6. #6
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    www.fuzzyeyeballs.com
    Posts
    8,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cookiez
    audio CD tracks to WMA.
    depends on which version of media player. the latest one (ver 10) ... just click 'Rip' ... and proceed from there

  7. #7

    Default

    think my Window Media Player is not the latest one

    cos can't find any "Rip".....thanks anyway

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Northwest
    Posts
    5,011

    Default

    On Windows Media Player 9, first go to Tools>Options and click the "Copy Music" tab. Select the location you want your converted music to be stored on your hdd. Then select Windows Media Audio (WMA) for the record format and then select the quality using the slider bar. Supposedly WMA can deliver the same audio quality as MP3 at half the bit rate, so 64 kbps WMA should be equivalent to 128 kbps MP3. The higher the bit rate you choose, the higher the audio quality but the larger the file size. It is worth checking your portable player device to find out if it can support all possible bit rates for WMA before you make this selection.

    Once this setting is done, you can start ripping CDs into WMA (onto your hdd) by clicking on "Copy from CD" on the menu bar on the left of the player window.

    To copy the ripped WMAs onto your device, use "Copy to CD or Device". Alternatively you can use the software that came with your device to do the transfer as media player may not support your particular player device.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

  9. #9

    Default

    There has been extensive testing done (check google) and there is no evidence that WMA quality is any better than MP3. I am not sure if they do it even now, but for a long time, the microsoft WMA libraries used to boost the amplitude by 3dB when encoding to WMA so that it just sounds better when listening to, but when you normalise the amplitudes of the WMA and MP3 versions, they were about the same.

    I'd suggest encoding to MP3 using a high quality encoder such as lame. MP3 is open and WMA is proprietary, and by microsoft. You never know what changes they will make next and make your media unuseable.

    Read the commends on WMA here: http://ekei.com/audio/

    Other links:
    http://ff123.net/
    http://ff123.net/128tests.html

    The only audio format which matches MP3/WMA at much lower bit rates (eg. 128k for MP3 vs 60-80k for OGG) is OGG/vorbis. Unfortunately, OGG requires floating point computation, so it is expensive to implement on cheap embedded hardware. Still, there are a few shops in Sim Lim offering OGG+MP3 players.

  10. #10
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    www.fuzzyeyeballs.com
    Posts
    8,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sriram
    There has been extensive testing done (check google) and there is no evidence that WMA quality is any better than MP3. I am not sure if they do it even now, but for a long time, the microsoft WMA libraries used to boost the amplitude by 3dB when encoding to WMA so that it just sounds better when listening to, but when you normalise the amplitudes of the WMA and MP3 versions, they were about the same.

    I'd suggest encoding to MP3 using a high quality encoder such as lame. MP3 is open and WMA is proprietary, and by microsoft. You never know what changes they will make next and make your media unuseable.

    Read the commends on WMA here: http://ekei.com/audio/

    Other links:
    http://ff123.net/
    http://ff123.net/128tests.html

    The only audio format which matches MP3/WMA at much lower bit rates (eg. 128k for MP3 vs 60-80k for OGG) is OGG/vorbis. Unfortunately, OGG requires floating point computation, so it is expensive to implement on cheap embedded hardware. Still, there are a few shops in Sim Lim offering OGG+MP3 players.
    since we r on this topic, anyone can let me know if there is any freeware which i can ensure the volume of my mp3 are the same (or close). some of the files are louder than the rest. i need to 'normalize' them.

    thanks

  11. #11

    Default

    If you're ok with command line console tools, the LAME package does normalisation for you.. I used to use that on my Linux box for a long time, and it also compiles on windows. I use a commercial tool called Easy CD-DA extractor which gives you a nice GUI for ripping, conversion, normalisation, etc.

  12. #12

    Default

    guys, thanks for all your advices. I managed to upgrade my Window Media
    Player to ver. 10 and now I can rip tracks from my audio CDs to play with
    Window Media player.

    Now my only problem is to sync the tracks to my mp3 player. Whenever
    I sync tracks ripped from original audio CDs, the tracks can never be
    sync to my mp3 player. I will always get this error msg "Window Media Player
    encountered an unknown error". Only those tracks ripped from pirated audio
    CDs got sync over successfully.

    I guess there are some controls in Window Media Player to prevent ppl to
    rip tracks from original CDs and transfer to other portable music devices so as
    not to violate copyrights. Only original tracks downloaded from paid music
    download sites can be sync over.

    So now I think only Ipod can do such transfer of audio CD tracks without hassle.
    Last edited by cookiez; 8th October 2004 at 11:45 PM.

  13. #13

    Default

    There is no problem whatsoever with ripping CD's and transferring them to any MP3 player using windows as long as you are not using microsoft software.

    I would advise you to not use windows media player at all, for anything (unless you want to play DRM protected WMA content). It typically talks back to microsoft and you don't have any control over the information it sends back about your PC.

    There are plenty of open source or free software available which can do the job.

    For ripping, use CDEX : http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/
    It is free and does a great job.
    You can also try Easy CD-DA. It is even more comprehensive. Both CDEX and Easy CD-DA can rip CD's to raw WAV files. Then you can convert the WAV's into any format you wish. Alternatively they can directly rip CD's to MP3, WMA, Ogg or any other format.

    You have a decent choice for media players. There is always winamp at http://www.winamp.com/
    I personally prefer DB power amp since the audio quality is better than winamp. See http://www.dbpoweramp.com/
    For video, I use PowerDVD which came along with my DVD drive. It handles just about every type of video and audio format you throw at it. Apple's quick time even does Mpeg-4.

    Just give them a shot. You don't have to be stuck with buggy microsoft software. There are much better alternatives.

  14. #14

    Default

    Wow ! Thanks you sriram !

    Didnt know that there are so many choices other than Window Media
    Player to rip from CDs and do the transfer. I will go see see look look
    at those that you've recommended. Thanks again !

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    267

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cookiez
    Hi....just got a new mp3 player and it also accept WMA file format. Anyone
    know what's WMA and how can I make use of it ? Does it mean that I can
    download songs from CDs to WMA format ?

    Thanks a zillion !
    WMA = Windows Media Audio. Your mp3 player is capable of playing wma files if you download them. It does not mean that it can convert CD Audio to WMA nor MP3. If you are able to download any WMA file format, your player will be able to play them in addition to MP3 format.

    Some mp3 players firmware allows direct conversion of CD Audio to MP3. You will need a direct connection from output of CD player to input of mp3 player. But this is real time, meaning you have to play the complete song on your CD player to record it.

    There are also some softwares that are capable of converting CD Audio to MP3 format. This allows you to convert multiple CD Audio songs to MP3 simultaniously then download from your PC to the MP3 player.

    Have a look at this link. Audio Conversion Wizard

    Hope this helps
    nokin

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •