Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there a Law/Regulation?

You did the right thing. People tell you don't take photo, just move along lor. Be humble.

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Try dressing up as a foreigner, it helps.
    That's what I try to do most of the time.
    Last edited by teerex; 7th October 2004 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StreetShooter
    You did the right thing. People tell you don't take photo, just move along lor. Be humble.
    Ya lor, what else is there to do. No point creating a scene and still end up the loser.

Quote Originally Posted by nokin
    Thank you guys for your quick responses and clarifications. I understand the part about taking photos inside private property.

But what about public areas like in the airport? And taking photos from outside their establishments. Some tourists may want to do that too.

And what about fashion shows inside shopping malls? Anyone gets permission from the building management or the fashion show organiser before shooting?

I was inside a local 5* hotel once, not too long ago taking photos. Of course I was just at the lobby area takiing photos of their interior deco. The security personnel saw me and allowed me to carry on. Maybe it's a matter of whether the guy likes your face or not.

I'm not argueing, but just a matter of discussion.

nokin
    Airport tho not a sensitive area is still considered an important installation. That's why they beefed up security during the months after Sept 11 and the terrorists bombings. Same goes for hotels as Singapore is a well known destination for westerners. People are more sensitive now after the Jarkarta incidents.

As for fashion shows, its best to obtain permission first as you are still on private property. like the Taka fashion shows, I was approached by the security and I nicely asked him who I can talk to to get permission. He then went to check with the management and got me permission to shoot, but I was still on the sideline tho :P At least I wasn't like the jokers who posted on CS the last time, playing hide and seek with security when they werent allowed to shoot.

Be nice and you might be allowed to shoot, be gracious when not allowed.

vince123123
    Guests

Which section of the ISA are you referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    Doesn't ISA cover everything else?

vince123123
    Guests

actually your sub legislation and regulations have to have a main act to act on, they dont exist in vacuo.

that said, my "legislation" search included sublegislation. Perhaps you could point me to the specific sublegislation you are referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    'Sensitive' areas includes protected areas eg. military airbases, Jurong Island, etc.

The reason that you are unable to find specific legislation or laws prohibiting photography is because there are none there in the first place. If any, they usually found in sub legislations, regulations, etc.

But law banning chewing gums here is a different matter. The key difference is prohibitions and banning.

I once shot for a force of our SAF. After shooting, the films were handed to a personnel from a certain department for clearance. A week later, the films were returned to me intact. However, the producer who were to accompany me did not get clearance, so I went alone. I can only attribute it to my security clearance from my NS days.

Also, I once shot from a helicopter for our civil aviation. Clearance was almost not noticeable to me.
    Just wondering, they returned the films to you intact. Meaning the films were not developed and they kept it for a week. How did they screen what you shot? SAF has special way of lookinig into the undeveloped film canisters to see the contents meh?

It's obvious, army camps and some high security places do not allow photography. Even camera phones have to be declared upon gaining entry. This is understandable with regards to internal security.

Thanks guys for all the enlightening facts.

sehsuan - what's MITA pass?

ESPN - thanks for the tip. will go out to buy a straw hat and a pair of china man shoes.

streetshooter, TMC - guess there's no choice. when told no photography, swallow your pride and walk away graciously.

nokin

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by teerex
    Just wondering, they returned the films to you intact. Meaning the films were not developed and they kept it for a week. How did they screen what you shot? SAF has special way of lookinig into the undeveloped film canisters to see the contents meh?

It's obvious, army camps and some high security places do not allow photography. Even camera phones have to be declared upon gaining entry. This is understandable with regards to internal security.
    when i said 'intact', i meant that they did the E6 processing and screened it without snipping any away.

when i said 'intact', i meant that they did the E6 processing and screened it without snipping any away.
    Oh I see, sorree, my ignorance

vince123123
    Guests

Just to add on, whats the "key difference" between prohibitions and banning?

Incidentally enough, the wording used in the relevant legislation on chewing gum banning is "prohibited" and not "banned", so I'm puzzled what you mean by the "key difference" and the citation of the chewing gum example.

But law banning chewing gums here is a different matter. The key difference is prohibitions and banning.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    actually your sub legislation and regulations have to have a main act to act on, they dont exist in vacuo.

that said, my "legislation" search included sublegislation. Perhaps you could point me to the specific sublegislation you are referring to?

'Sensitive' areas includes protected areas eg. military airbases, Jurong Island, etc.

The reason that you are unable to find specific legislation or laws prohibiting photography is because there are none there in the first place. If any, they usually found in sub legislations, regulations, etc.

Hrmm... Official Secrets Act does prohibit photography in gazetted areas.

went up in a helicopter to do some aerial photography for a civil engineering firm and shot piers and container wharf areas.
    These were quite close to 'sensitive areas' and was accompanied by someone from the authorities who ensured that the cams were pointed away from those areas.
    The film were handed over on completion and they were processed and returned about two weeks later.
    man it was fun shooting from a heli with its passenger doors detached...an experience unlikely to forget.
    As for shooting inside private buildings i.e. shopping centres, condominiums etc., if you are asked to stop...just do so.
    ...and do not get angry with the security/management...they are only following regulations given to them to enforce.
    usually an apology and smile goes a long way.

vince123123
    Guests

Yeap, generally its only "IN", not "OF".

Quote Originally Posted by Firefox
    Hrmm... Official Secrets Act does prohibit photography in gazetted areas.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    Yeap, generally its only "IN", not "OF".
    My mistake. It's both actually. "In" would be a sub-set of "of" as well. I believe it's under "Intent to spy" of the OSA.

vince123123
    Guests

yea but "of" appears to have an additional requirement that "proved that the photograph or drawing is intended to be prejudicial to the safety or interests of Singapore or to be directly or indirectly useful to a foreign Power or to an enemy"

Quote Originally Posted by Firefox
    My mistake. It's both actually. "In" would be a sub-set of "of" as well. I believe it's under "Intent to spy" of the OSA.

Was snapping photos on the roof of Marina Square at Conrad Hotel, then security guards approached me and say no Photo please!

Walked across the road to shoot Suntec also kena Dunno what they're thinking

Thanks guys for sharing all your experiences with shooting inside buildings and sensitive areas.

So bottom line is, shoot all you want. But when told not to shoot by security and management personnel. Stop, smile, say sorry I didn't know and scoot off.

It's not about the law.

The property owners believe in the rationale that every click of the camera sends out a minuscule vibration. Imagine what would a thousand clicks do overtime to the building's foundation?

It will send a building tumbling down.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12