Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: Course by PSS vs. Palbear - any input

  1. #1

    Default Course by PSS vs. Palbear - any input

    Hiya
    I am pretty new here. Would like to find out from you guys what you think of the photography courses run by the Photographic Society of Singapore and those run by Palbear (stanleylim colour centre).
    I was checking out the PSS's course but there is so little information abt course content, and the courses are conducted in the classroom? But Palbear's course include outdoor shoot, and what better ways to learn than to do it hands- on? Anyone who has attended either care to comment?
    I am v. keen to take up a course cos I am going to North Canada in Dec to watch the Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights) and therefore am keen to pick up some skils before i go. THANKS FOR ANY INPUT.

    regards

  2. #2

    Default

    I think you mean Polarbear from SLCC.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    JB, SG
    Posts
    3,531

    Default

    there is very little course content on PSS webiste..
    U need to go down to PSS and pick up the brochure and read from there.

    I attended the basic photographing course...

    there were 3 actual shooting session (Botanic garden, Sheare Bridge and Indoor Studio ) and darkroom and printing session..

    PSS also has a course "Travel Photographing".

    Join them as the member and u get more discount on course. but sometime the class is abit big (around 20) and each might have little attention.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Last planet from the sun
    Posts
    2,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Newman
    I think you mean Polarbear from SLCC.
    Eh there is 2 nick in CS that uses Polarbear.

    One is "POLARBEAR" which is not from SLCC.

    "PLRBEAR" is from SLCC. Give him or Joanne a call on 98583502. The best way about knowing the course is coming down to the studio and we will show you what you wil be expecting from our course.

    As mentioned from time and time again. Different courses provided from different institution give you a different learning skills. There is nothing to compare about it. Learn form SLCC Beginners and learn from others as well. This way you learn the best of both worlds.............

    Check this out......
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=90581 (check on thread no.18 which is one of PLRBEAR student)

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wong_se
    there is very little course content on PSS webiste..
    U need to go down to PSS and pick up the brochure and read from there.

    I attended the basic photographing course...

    there were 3 actual shooting session (Botanic garden, Sheare Bridge and Indoor Studio ) and darkroom and printing session..

    PSS also has a course "Travel Photographing".

    Join them as the member and u get more discount on course. but sometime the class is abit big (around 20) and each might have little attention.
    I took their course and found it to be useful. The course size is big so that you can know more friends and subsequently form own kakis for future shoot.

    Also, the costs is kept low. i think abt 120-140 for 10-12 lessons?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    JB, SG
    Posts
    3,531

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nemesis32
    I took their course and found it to be useful. The course size is big so that you can know more friends and subsequently form own kakis for future shoot.

    Also, the costs is kept low. i think abt 120-140 for 10-12 lessons?

    me as well..the basic photographying course is about $120 for member. $200 nor non member. yes..it was 12 lessons at that time when I attended.

    but did not end up with any kakis or particular group....

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    You should go for the weekly photo critique session so that you can improve and know more members. It's on Friday 7.30pm to about 10pm

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    JB, SG
    Posts
    3,531

    Default

    You should go for the weekly photo critique session so that you can improve and know more members. It's on Friday 7.30pm to about 10pm
    that is something good about PSS once u join them as member.

    Photo Critique Session every friday night. But mostly the senior photographer will give u the comment..I mean "real senior" like uncle in their mid 40s.and even 50+...some of them had won award under their belt and especially the humble Mr Goh...

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    There're a couple of younger instructors that can critique the photos. In any case, think we are getting a bit OT. Sorry.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wong_se
    that is something good about PSS once u join them as member.

    Photo Critique Session every friday night. But mostly the senior photographer will give u the comment..I mean "real senior" like uncle in their mid 40s.and even 50+...some of them had won award under their belt and especially the humble Mr Goh...
    hahaha..photo critique session consists of 'uncles'...okay lah..some of them are quite young at heart. Actually i feel the photo critique is good if you have the instructors to do some critique. If not, for me, I will always watch and learn from other members photographs. I have see young members work that is incredible good despite the few months they are into photography.

    i'll be there tomorrow nite for the photo critique. If anyone is interested..see u there...

    As for whether PSS courses or SLCC courses are good, I feel that there are just quick entry to learning photography. Treat it with a lighted heart. Go out and know more friends or kakis. The instructors are there only to impart the basic skills but they cannot help to visionalise or capture the image in your mind.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Last planet from the sun
    Posts
    2,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nostalgia
    hahaha..photo critique session consists of 'uncles'...okay lah..some of them are quite young at heart. Actually i feel the photo critique is good if you have the instructors to do some critique. If not, for me, I will always watch and learn from other members photographs. I have see young members work that is incredible good despite the few months they are into photography.

    i'll be there tomorrow nite for the photo critique. If anyone is interested..see u there...

    As for whether PSS courses or SLCC courses are good, I feel that there are just quick entry to learning photography. Treat it with a lighted heart. Go out and know more friends or kakis. The instructors are there only to impart the basic skills but they cannot help to visionalise or capture the image in your mind.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,726

    Default

    To all potential photographers

    It all depends on what you want to achieve at the end of the day. Gone were the days when photography used to be getting your hands on a MANUAL camera (eg, Yashica FX-3, Nikonmat, etc), read the accompanying User's Guide, buy rolls and rolls of film, load, shoot, process, and see your mistakes. One may attend a course along the way to see where one has gone wrong. (I started on this path, and to date, I still have my very FIRST camera, the Yashica Electro 35).

    Nowadays, one can buy a fairly decent digital camera (say, 3 megapixel), shoot, look at the LCD screen, and see for yourself whether you like the photo or not. Like, keep. Don't like, delete. It's that easy. There are times when a certain photo that appears good on the LCD screen, when downloaded into the computer, becomes out-of-focus. Then you begin to wonder: Is it the camera, or my skill. Of course, its the camera, you dumb dumb. Surely, it cannot be me, right? Must be the camera not so good. So? An ad is posted under Buy and Sell, (WTS). And one goes to buy a better digital camera.

    Next puchase: Don't want to repeat the same mistake. Bought the LATEST prosumer 8 megapixel digital camera in town. Why? Because the higher the pixel count, the better the camera, the better the picture, right? Set to full auto and shoot. Great! Pics appear good on LCD. When downloaded into the computer it AGAIN! is out-of-focus! Now you really want to sue the d*** salesman who told you this is the bestest (best until cannot best already) digital camera available.

    This scenerio seems familar? A lot of people equate high pixel count with sharp image. That is totally false!! There are other variables like aperature, shutter, flash guide number, etc...etc...

    By attending a simple course, one can find out the meanings of these terms and how they affect photography. One can also maximise the use of one's camera effectively, be it a 3mp or 14 mp digital one, or a film SLR camera. As photography is a practical skill, one has to choose a course that emphasizes practical. Theory is important, but practical is MORE important. I like to cite this illustration: One cannot learn driving by simply passing the 2 theory tests, important it may be. One has to be competent AND confident while behind the wheel of a vehicle!!

    PSS and SLCC are both players in an industry that caters to the needs of a growing hobby, with the popularity and affordibility of digital cameras. Where one goes for a course depends on several things:

    1. Time: I believe PSS offers 12 lessons. SLCC offers 8, I believe? If there is a course that allows one to learn more in a shorter span of time, I'll go for it. For a working professional, a saving of 4 lessons means considerable savings, in terms of petrol, time, and parking fees! Plus, you get to free yourself for 4 lesson-time to practice your skills!

    2. Money: With working professionals, what's a few dollars more? If, by paying say, $50 more, I can get more out of the lecturer, I'd go for it!! You have already spent thousands on your camera. Why be so "kiam siap" with the few dollars? Compare this with someone who bought a new car and keeps it at home because petrol and parking is expensive. No logic!!!

    3. Content: A good course provider will ALWAYS be willing to tell you what they are offering you. Just look at the previews to the MBAs and Masters programs offered by the various institutions of higher learning. They will have nothing to hide.

    Finally, to the potential student, hunt around for the course that suits your needs. As I mentioned, PSS and SLCC are 2 major players in the photographic community. Don't forget the CCs. Some have quite good instructors too. Remember point #3: A good course provider has nothing to hide!!

    Remember this and I believe you will find the deal that best suits your lifestyle and your pocket.

    Cheers.......................

  13. #13

    Default thank you

    WOW, thank you so much for all your feedback. I will give it some thought. I know the best way to learn is to do.

    Thanks a million.

  14. #14

    Default

    Pay a visit to both places. And do visit PSS on Fridays too. One thing I've noticed is that PSS doesn't advertise itself, but their classes are always full.

  15. #15

    Default

    you could also always try SAFRA

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Last planet from the sun
    Posts
    2,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamestan
    To all potential photographers

    It all depends on what you want to achieve at the end of the day. Gone were the days when photography used to be getting your hands on a MANUAL camera (eg, Yashica FX-3, Nikonmat, etc), read the accompanying User's Guide, buy rolls and rolls of film, load, shoot, process, and see your mistakes. One may attend a course along the way to see where one has gone wrong. (I started on this path, and to date, I still have my very FIRST camera, the Yashica Electro 35).

    Nowadays, one can buy a fairly decent digital camera (say, 3 megapixel), shoot, look at the LCD screen, and see for yourself whether you like the photo or not. Like, keep. Don't like, delete. It's that easy. There are times when a certain photo that appears good on the LCD screen, when downloaded into the computer, becomes out-of-focus. Then you begin to wonder: Is it the camera, or my skill. Of course, its the camera, you dumb dumb. Surely, it cannot be me, right? Must be the camera not so good. So? An ad is posted under Buy and Sell, (WTS). And one goes to buy a better digital camera.

    Next puchase: Don't want to repeat the same mistake. Bought the LATEST prosumer 8 megapixel digital camera in town. Why? Because the higher the pixel count, the better the camera, the better the picture, right? Set to full auto and shoot. Great! Pics appear good on LCD. When downloaded into the computer it AGAIN! is out-of-focus! Now you really want to sue the d*** salesman who told you this is the bestest (best until cannot best already) digital camera available.

    This scenerio seems familar? A lot of people equate high pixel count with sharp image. That is totally false!! There are other variables like aperature, shutter, flash guide number, etc...etc...

    By attending a simple course, one can find out the meanings of these terms and how they affect photography. One can also maximise the use of one's camera effectively, be it a 3mp or 14 mp digital one, or a film SLR camera. As photography is a practical skill, one has to choose a course that emphasizes practical. Theory is important, but practical is MORE important. I like to cite this illustration: One cannot learn driving by simply passing the 2 theory tests, important it may be. One has to be competent AND confident while behind the wheel of a vehicle!!

    PSS and SLCC are both players in an industry that caters to the needs of a growing hobby, with the popularity and affordibility of digital cameras. Where one goes for a course depends on several things:

    1. Time: I believe PSS offers 12 lessons. SLCC offers 8, I believe? If there is a course that allows one to learn more in a shorter span of time, I'll go for it. For a working professional, a saving of 4 lessons means considerable savings, in terms of petrol, time, and parking fees! Plus, you get to free yourself for 4 lesson-time to practice your skills!

    2. Money: With working professionals, what's a few dollars more? If, by paying say, $50 more, I can get more out of the lecturer, I'd go for it!! You have already spent thousands on your camera. Why be so "kiam siap" with the few dollars? Compare this with someone who bought a new car and keeps it at home because petrol and parking is expensive. No logic!!!

    3. Content: A good course provider will ALWAYS be willing to tell you what they are offering you. Just look at the previews to the MBAs and Masters programs offered by the various institutions of higher learning. They will have nothing to hide.

    Finally, to the potential student, hunt around for the course that suits your needs. As I mentioned, PSS and SLCC are 2 major players in the photographic community. Don't forget the CCs. Some have quite good instructors too. Remember point #3: A good course provider has nothing to hide!!

    Remember this and I believe you will find the deal that best suits your lifestyle and your pocket.

    Cheers.......................
    Typhoon.....not only you learn from this thread, me too after seeing what jamestan said. GO! GO! GO!.........hehe!

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hoppinghippo
    you could also always try SAFRA
    Eh the thread starter wuz askin bout plrbear n pss lei.....how come SAFRA name came up lei?

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    122

    Default

    Between SLCC and PSS, is very difficult to tell which is the better one. In PSS they have different individual teaching different classes. Standards differ between trainers. I think both SLCC & PSS have their own strength and weaknesses. Some people like PSS and some prefer SLCC. They are not you, you will need to decide based on your interest and preferences

    If I were very keen to know which one of the two places is better, I would go visit them, and collect the course outline. Both of them would be happy to provide you the outline if you ask nicely, I am sure. Lastly, if your objective is just for a one off photography exercise, why don't you just go buy some stock images and save yourself the trouble. Do take the course only if you have an interest in photography or like to give it a try and see if photography is for you. I have been taking photographs for the past 20 years, I have attended formal photography classes in UK & Singapore and I still feel that I have a long long way to go. Anyway, if you do decide to take the pictures, do post some of the good ones for us to view.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bravocube
    Pay a visit to both places. And do visit PSS on Fridays too. One thing I've noticed is that PSS doesn't advertise itself, but their classes are always full.
    Ha ha!! How can you compare like this? How long is the history of PSS and how long is the history of SLCC? Why not give them a chance as well as yourself a chance? I think is better to make more friends, that is why CS is here for us. The aim of CS is share and learn the photography knowledge, so stop compare to each other. If you guys want to know the answer,why not go to look for the people who in-charge talk to them find out the answer than argue here. Just imagine that you are in the food court now, will you argue the taste of all the food stall there or will you order the food to eat? Of course if you do not know which stall is cheap and delicious, but you still have to order from one of the stall there. After all you had try, you will sure know which stall food is cheap and good. Again you like it does not mean I like it, so for my view is stop argue here go and find out the cheap and good food for yourself.
    Last edited by wuliao88; 8th October 2004 at 01:44 AM.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla Invades
    Eh the thread starter wuz askin bout plrbear n pss lei.....how come SAFRA name came up lei?
    He was asking where can learn better. From plrbear or PSS... I mentioned there are other service providers... Like the CCs. Some kind soul mentioned SAFRA.

    That's how lor.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •