Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Nature macro photography

  1. #1

    Default Nature macro photography

    Hi Guys,

    I am interested in learning to take macro shots of nature. Any kind sir would like to teach a young padawan how to shoot macro shots? Would love to go on a nature trail to shoot all the creepy crawlies.

  2. #2
    Senior Member madmartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    20,227

    Default Re: Nature macro photography

    Quote Originally Posted by Hirzi Hussain View Post
    Hi Guys,

    I am interested in learning to take macro shots of nature. Any kind sir would like to teach a young padawan how to shoot macro shots? Would love to go on a nature trail to shoot all the creepy crawlies.
    hi there,

    Maybe you can take some time to read this thread > http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threa...Close-ups-FAQs. I believe it should be helpful to you.
    After which, you can try joining the guys at the macro section in an outing. Just tack along & see & learn & shoot.
    Its not easy in the beginning, but with the right commitment & interest, you should be able to understand more & you'll enjoy more of the shoots

    Hope to see you in the field
    Take the shot!

  3. #3

    Default Re: Nature macro photography

    hey!

    Yes i did manage to read the thread. Highly useful as it somehow lets me know roughly what you need for macro photography. But theory without guidance would still be difficult for a newbie.

    If there's any members out there that would like to shoot macro and wouldn't mind a newbie tagging along pls drop a pm!

  4. #4

    Default Nature macro photography

    yup the best to learn is go out to try!

  5. #5

    Default Re: Nature macro photography

    ^exactly! I thought of seeing how things work first then i will know roughly if i would like a 105mm or a 200mm macro. Any macro shoot outing? Would be great!

  6. #6
    Senior Member madmartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    20,227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hirzi Hussain
    ^exactly! I thought of seeing how things work first then i will know roughly if i would like a 105mm or a 200mm macro. Any macro shoot outing? Would be great!
    Work wif the basic gears 1st if you do not have a dedicated macro lens. A 105mm n 200mm is not cheap. Unless you are very sure of shooting macro as your love, then by all means jump in wif two feet.
    Wat are your free time to shoot?
    Take the shot!

  7. #7

    Default Re: Nature macro photography

    I understand that the lenses are not cheap. That is why it will be best to see members in action so as to come to a conclusion on what lens to buy.

    I have always been a nature type of person as i love to take hikes and do nature trails. I also have an eye to spot insects, reptiles and other animals.

    I'm open to any of the members timing. I'm not particularly sure what time is best for nature photography but if i am taking a nature trail, i would think that 9am onwards would be great. I notice jumping spiders like to wander around at this time too.

    Currently i own a d7000 with kit lens and 50mm 1.8d.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hirzi Hussain
    I understand that the lenses are not cheap. That is why it will be best to see members in action so as to come to a conclusion on what lens to buy.

    I have always been a nature type of person as i love to take hikes and do nature trails. I also have an eye to spot insects, reptiles and other animals.

    I'm open to any of the members timing. I'm not particularly sure what time is best for nature photography but if i am taking a nature trail, i would think that 9am onwards would be great. I notice jumping spiders like to wander around at this time too.

    Currently i own a d7000 with kit lens and 50mm 1.8d.
    With a 50mm. You can actually try the reverse mount method. This setup can still give you very good magnification and sharpness

  9. #9

    Default Re: Nature macro photography

    Is it some thing like this ?

  10. #10
    Senior Member madmartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    20,227

    Default Re: Nature macro photography

    You need to get a reverse ring for the lens. In the video, I can only see that the guy uses his hands to hold the lens which is not mounted onto the camera. Not advisable.

    The other way is to get the Raynox DCR250 or DCR150 or both as a set.

    Either set up is possible with your 50mm f1.8

    You can get the Raynox here
    Take the shot!

  11. #11

    Default Re: Nature macro photography

    wow, but do ppl actually really use the reverse ring lens to take macro shots in the wild? will it be risky as dust will be able to get into the lens or maybe the moisture?

    The raynox series how do i put it on my d7000? do they come with a nikon mount?

    Also what are the main differences in using a 50mm and a 100mm to shoot macro? For the 50mm i have to be very close to the object? Which means i will probably only be shooting pictures of ants or spiders that i am able to get close to? If that is so then i definitely have to go for the 100mm as the good stuff usually will not be within reach. Thoughts?

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hirzi Hussain
    wow, but do ppl actually really use the reverse ring lens to take macro shots in the wild? will it be risky as dust will be able to get into the lens or maybe the moisture?

    The raynox series how do i put it on my d7000? do they come with a nikon mount?

    Also what are the main differences in using a 50mm and a 100mm to shoot macro? For the 50mm i have to be very close to the object? Which means i will probably only be shooting pictures of ants or spiders that i am able to get close to? If that is so then i definitely have to go for the 100mm as the good stuff usually will not be within reach. Thoughts?
    Why not? I started out with a reverse ring. There are limitations but the image quality is pretty decent.

    The difference between a 50mm and a 100mm is the working distance. For the 50mm you need to get closer to get 1:1 magnification.

  13. #13
    Senior Member madmartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    20,227

    Default Re: Nature macro photography

    The raynox has an adaptor that fits filter size from 49mm-67mm. It's spring loaded n you juz clip it to the front of your 50mm or 18-105mm les as long as any of your lens filter diameter does not exceed 67mm. For outdoor shoot, the raynox is safer than the reverse ring. You can get the tamron 90mm f2.8 n raynox from ARTWORKFOTO
    Take the shot!

  14. #14

    Default Re: Nature macro photography

    What would you guys recommend? A Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G or Tamron SP DI 90 mm F/2.8?

  15. #15
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,444

    Default Re: Nature macro photography

    Quote Originally Posted by Hirzi Hussain View Post
    What would you guys recommend? A Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G or Tamron SP DI 90 mm F/2.8?
    If got $, Nikkor, else Tamron
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  16. #16

    Default Re: Nature macro photography

    woo hoo just got my nikkor 105mm! Sifus please ask me along when out shooting macro!

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,700

    Default Re: Nature macro photography

    Go to the 'Gathering and Outing' Section in this forum.
    You will find some macro outing organised by some seniors here.
    Best to learn from them . . .

    I am still using 50mm with Raynox. Having problem focusing in the beginning but after awhile you will get use to the system.

    Macro to me, i find joy when i found insects which is not in my archive.
    As most people here, we find joy in modifying our diffusers; you will find many interesting setup from others.

    A macro lens like 105mm will be good.
    Last edited by weegk; 25th August 2011 at 10:25 PM.
    Shot more cos digital is FREE !!!

  18. #18

    Default Re: Nature macro photography

    ^yep looking forward to learning how to diffuse lighting. I also have a sb700 flash. Will definitely keep a look out on gathering and outing section!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •