Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Immitation canon lens?

  1. #1
    Member MoeHammett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Admiralty,Singapore
    Posts
    18

    Default Immitation canon lens?

    Hi all, i'm quite new in photography, just bought a 60d kit II and intend to buy a wide angle lens. I'm really falling for a canon lens 10-22mm. I found a few ebay seller mainly from taiwan n hong kong selling at 1k+ which is 400+ cheaper than what canon singapore is selling. Is there any immitation canon lens? If there is,how will I know? Please advice.
    Oh yeah,i dont like to buy 2nd hand thing,i dont know why..lol

  2. #2
    Senior Member bonrya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a mobile cage
    Posts
    2,633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MoeHammett
    Hi all, i'm quite new in photography, just bought a 60d kit II and intend to buy a wide angle lens. I'm really falling for a canon lens 10-22mm. I found a few ebay seller mainly from taiwan n hong kong selling at 1k+ which is 400+ cheaper than what canon singapore is selling. Is there any immitation canon lens? If there is,how will I know? Please advice.
    Oh yeah,i dont like to buy 2nd hand thing,i dont know why..lol
    I think most of the seniors here will say that manufacturers won't even bother making an imitation lens. Unless you count third party lenses as fake..?

    It's more expensive in Singapore because we have to pay TAX and duty.
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,786

    Default

    You can also consider warranty as part of the extra cost
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

  4. #4

    Default Re: Immitation canon lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoeHammett View Post
    Hi all, i'm quite new in photography, just bought a 60d kit II and intend to buy a wide angle lens. I'm really falling for a canon lens 10-22mm. I found a few ebay seller mainly from taiwan n hong kong selling at 1k+ which is 400+ cheaper than what canon singapore is selling. Is there any immitation canon lens? If there is,how will I know? Please advice.
    Oh yeah,i dont like to buy 2nd hand thing,i dont know why..lol
    The shop prices of 10-22mm should be around 1.1-1.2k. Get from reputable shops here
    Canon EOS 600D | BBB virus carrier

  5. #5
    Member MoeHammett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Admiralty,Singapore
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Thanks for all the advice.. Hopefully I make the correct choice..

  6. #6

    Default Re: Immitation canon lens?

    i doubt there will be fake lenses out there... anybody with the technology to put up a decent lens together will be better off making their own brand, not imitating others... hence rest assured the chance is present, but very small...

    do a proper test of the lens before you buy, 2nd hand or what doesnt matter just test it thoroughly... as long as the mechanism is working, and the lens is a sharp copy... it's good enough...

  7. #7

    Default Re: Immitation canon lens?

    its normal if they sell cheaper to you.. You can just drop by.. Canon's official site..Singapore and Hongkong or other countries.
    You will be surprise with the numbers..

  8. #8
    Member pasay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    508

    Default Re: Immitation canon lens?

    also take note that goods that cost more than $400 (IIRC) will also be subject to tax coming in. factor that in and might as well buy locally, with warranty to boot
    a Nikon body, some lenses, a flash, and a whole lot of dusty photos

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Could the price be listed in USD?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,786

    Default Re: Immitation canon lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by evilorgi View Post
    i doubt there will be fake lenses out there... anybody with the technology to put up a decent lens together will be better off making their own brand, not imitating others... hence rest assured the chance is present, but very small...

    do a proper test of the lens before you buy, 2nd hand or what doesnt matter just test it thoroughly... as long as the mechanism is working, and the lens is a sharp copy... it's good enough...
    Unless you can get fooled by a Lens Mug.....
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

  11. #11
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Immitation canon lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoeHammett View Post
    Thanks for all the advice.. Hopefully I make the correct choice..
    Bro... u do realise that any import from overseas to you that is more than S$400, you will have to pay GST, right? Which mean your lens if you ever ordered from overseas to be shipped to you will most likely be stopped in Paya Lebar post office and you will receive a notice to pay the GST or you cannot redeem your lens. Unless the company in the overseas under declared the value of the lens, then you might be able to get away from the tax (something which I highly not recommending as it carries an federal offence).
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  12. #12
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,849

    Default Re: Immitation canon lens?

    if u want to buy lens from HK, fly there personally to buy. cos its hard to bypass GST when delivered to SG.

    btw there is no more international warranty for Canon lens bought in HK.

  13. #13
    Member MoeHammett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Admiralty,Singapore
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye

    Unless you can get fooled by a Lens Mug.....
    Sorry,i'm really green,whats a lens mug?

  14. #14
    Member MoeHammett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Admiralty,Singapore
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123

    Bro... u do realise that any import from overseas to you that is more than S$400, you will have to pay GST, right? Which mean your lens if you ever ordered from overseas to be shipped to you will most likely be stopped in Paya Lebar post office and you will receive a notice to pay the GST or you cannot redeem your lens. Unless the company in the overseas under declared the value of the lens, then you might be able to get away from the tax (something which I highly not recommending as it carries an federal offence).
    Ok,i dont know that,thanks for the info,cause usually they just declare it as a gift..lol

  15. #15
    Member MoeHammett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Admiralty,Singapore
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sinned79
    if u want to buy lens from HK, fly there personally to buy. cos its hard to bypass GST when delivered to SG.

    btw there is no more international warranty for Canon lens bought in HK.
    Yeah,they dont have..just saw it.thanks for the info.guess its the best I buy it from canon itself.. Lol..

  16. #16
    Senior Member bonrya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a mobile cage
    Posts
    2,633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MoeHammett

    Sorry,i'm really green,whats a lens mug?
    It's a lens mug. A mug that looks like an actual lens or made out of actual lens.
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

  17. #17
    Senior Member digitalpimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Shèng Gǎng
    Posts
    2,744

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye

    Unless you can get fooled by a Lens Mug.....
    I have a very sharp copy of a Canon lens mug to let go. Kept in dry cabi when not in use. Took it to my recent trip to Melacca and it performed outstandingly. You want?

  18. #18
    Senior Member bonrya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a mobile cage
    Posts
    2,633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digitalpimp

    I have a very sharp copy of a Canon lens mug to let go. Kept in dry cabi when not in use. Took it to my recent trip to Melacca and it performed outstandingly. You want?
    can I lowball $2?
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

  19. #19
    Senior Member digitalpimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Shèng Gǎng
    Posts
    2,744

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bonrya

    can I lowball $2?
    Lowballers will be IGNORED!


    Wait.. Did I just talk to you?



  20. #20
    Member MoeHammett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Admiralty,Singapore
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bonrya

    It's a lens mug. A mug that looks like an actual lens or made out of actual lens.
    Ohh..now I know..lol.. Thanks!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •