Thread: Advice on SLR battery in Cold conditions

Default Advice on SLR battery in Cold conditions

Hi all, I will be trekking in Nepal in Dec and the weather is expected to very cold (esp in the night). For those who have experienced, is it a good idea to remove the battery and keep it warm in the sleeping bag while you sleep or we can just leave everything in the bag. I wonder will the battery be drained if I leave it out.

Have not done this for a long time. I wonder if the new general digi SLR cameras have sufficient insulation.

Will appreciate any form of advice.
    OLYMPUS EM1.2 I (7-14, 12-40, 12-100,40-150,300)

Default Re: Advice on SLR battery in Cold conditions

The cameras are not insulated, nor would they retain heat long enough. Best to keep a spare batt or two next to your body.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    The cameras are not insulated, nor would they retain heat long enough. Best to keep a spare batt or two next to your body.
    maybe 3 as spare haha.

The battery is not drained when getting cold. It's simply that the chemical reaction that releases the electrical power is slowed down. Once the battery is warmed up again it will work normally.
    Existing sticky thread: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threa...y-cold-weather
    EOS

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll need to also consider spare batteries just to be on safe side....I only rely on 1 for my FF.
    OLYMPUS EM1.2 I (7-14, 12-40, 12-100,40-150,300)

Quote Originally Posted by snapperBB View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll need to also consider spare batteries just to be on safe side....I only rely on 1 for my FF.
    u better bring a few more cos u cannot charge your batteries up there (no power socket).

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    u better bring a few more cos u cannot charge your batteries up there (no power socket).
    Or do what I did... Solar power charger on top of my backpack, charged my phone and camera batteries during the day.
    Alpha

Keep yr Batt in your pants pocket, shld be good enough. But u only have one? Where got enough?

Blog Entries

I was staying and shooting in -25 deg C weather for 7 days. I brought total 4 batteries for my D90. In the end I only used one.

But I kept all my batteries in my jacket. When I am sleeping, I hang the jacket up.