Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: To Singapore With Love

Quote Originally Posted by hazmee
    Thanks a lot guys! Its actually nearby my workplace. I m trying to send pics of my hometown. Hopefully it'll be in the book. Anyway, no one knows where Teban Gardens is. Hehe.
    Beside Pandan Gardens .... LOL
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

Quote Originally Posted by hazmee
    Thanks a lot guys! Its actually nearby my workplace. I m trying to send pics of my hometown. Hopefully it'll be in the book. Anyway, no one knows where Teban Gardens is. Hehe.
    sez who? you're not the only one who lives in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by blurblock

I must say both films and digital serve two different purposes with the same goal, but for PSS to be so bias towards Digital photography and turning its back from it's original source and even to the extent of virtually undermine films is nonsenscial.
    I must clarify that this is not a PSS project, but a project with the support of PSS, SCPS, PhotoArt, SAFRAPC and BoonLay CC Photo Club. We ought to stop these personal biasness comments or personal grudge against any club.

Ultimately, this project allows the image to be taken by either a film or digital camera, but the submission method shall be via digital format for ease of administration. The committee has looked into the many options available. We cannot have submissions in print, slides and digital files as it will be very taxing for the administration process.

We also look into the costing, bearing in mind that making a 8R print is more expensive than having a good scan.

Apologies if film users are offended, but you may like to respect a growing population of digital users. This project is not meant to compare digital versus film, and all such arguments pertaining why only digital is requested should stop here.

Let us not get distracted, but rather, see how we can contribute to this book.

One rice breeds a hundred types of people. Let us work for what we believe is right.

My comment shall end here.

Quote Originally Posted by LCT
    Well, Steven thanks for your reply. Thinking broadly, I would imagine the percentage of loss in mail is minimal versus the better quality photographs that you may potentially have received if it had been more agreeable on submission requirement. Btw, this is not a contest but a supposedly noble cause. You or your club may have your preferences. However, please re-visit your entry forms on submission requirement. I must point to you that there is a "MUST BRING DOWN PERSONALLY" as stated in the form. So its non-negotiable for any participant, not even by our local trustworthy registered post! This is clearly limiting the submission - hope you and your committee are aware of this. I wonder how did you sent your prints or CD to overseas to get all your photographic accolades ? Send down personally? Btw, I am not here to challenge your stand or your committee's approach. I have given my comment and feedback and I shall end here.
    Firstly, the collection point is open everyday except public holidays, hence, contributors have many options as to which day to submit their works.

Secondly, it will not be nice if any mails are lost in post or sent to the wrong address.

Thirdly, as mentioned, all contributors are acknowledged on the spot by the administrators in a logbook.

Fourthly, the collection point is in downtown area, just 6 minutes walk from Dhoby Ghaut MRT.

Fifthly, with regards to registered post, the postmen usually comes in the morning and the collection point only opens in the afternoon. It will be very taxing on the staff to go to the post office so frequently to collect registered articles, bearing in mind that parcels uncollected after 7 days will be returned to sender. This will mean that the staff needs to go to the post office every 3 days should there be an influx of registered post.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT ONG
    Let's not get over such issue as in "MUST BRING DOWN PERSONALLY" as stated in the form, I trusted that the committee must have discussed in length to come to this decision to ensure that all images submitted are received in good hands. They just want to be certain and doesn't that meant it is wrong to do so ..

Put it this way, if you are keen to submit .. you will not bored so much about whatever rules they set ... JUST DO IT ...
    Yes, fully agree.

Rather get too worked out over issues that are non-pertaining, PLEASE, upload some images which you feel like sharing, or get the rest inspired. If you feel that the images deserve a place in this historical book, you should submit it!

Quote Originally Posted by blurblock
    Cameras might be geared towards Digital Technology, but that by no means the indication of superior quality as compared to flim. I started photography in early 1985 and had tried and sold my Canon 10D. Taken some picture with top range Canon and Nikon cameras before, but still felt the output isn't good enough. I am waiting to see the Dynax 7D though.

But the fact is, even until today, the Dynamic Range of DSLR still cannot match Negative. I am comfortable with Digital Machine, I am IT trained by profession and I am Information, Library and Storage Sciences Trained as well, thus I guess I am more then qualified to say that I am not technophobic. You had received my email regarding why I felt Digital storage is of less permenent then Analog storage such as slides, I think you should know where am I coming from.

I used to be a Digital User (Canon 10D) and then I sold it and revert back to film.

For your indication :

(1) Why did Kodak shut down so many factories worldwide that produces films, and now focus on digital imaging and patent application?

Perhaps it is because of the fact they did not put down as much research as Fuji on Film and Fuji has been overtaking them in Film quality and thus became the defacto standard for film. Thus knowing they are out of the league to compete again Fuji on film quality, they decided to embark on the so called "next big thing".

(2) Why did Konica and Minolta merge?

It was because of three reasons.

1. Minolta made a mistake of putting all its resources on APS camera back in 1990s thinking it will ride the wave, however, no one bothers about APS camera even until today. The developing is ridicious.

2. Minolta infringe a patent of Honeywell back in 1993 and was being sued and lost a few billions on the lawsuit, thus setting it back quite a lot.

3. Konica is doing well in Japan, but is losing it's market worldwide as they are technologically deficient. Minolta being an innovative company holding quite a few technological advancement and a bunch of loyal customer, is the perfect fit for Konica to devour and turn it's technology to be used. One needs money to stay a float, one needs the technological. Thus they merged to form a more formiable entity before both was crushed.

(3) Why did Fujifilm began heavy investments in digital imaging equipment, especially the popular S series of DSLR?

It is because digital imaging equipment is one of Fujifilm forte with it's frontier machine, but then it is losing out to Noritsu machine.... if you noticed carefully, you would have notice Fuji Machines does not seems to be growing as fast as it was before, and they have to regain lost ground.

The S series of DSLR is just another DSLR, like 20D, D70, SD10, *istD, 7D .. etc etc .... not much of a argument there. To stay a float, you must follow the trend, but that does not mean the trend is always accurate. Take APS for example, it was a trend for 2 years, before it forces Minolta to go under.

(4) Why did Agfa have heavy investment in digital printing machines?

Similar reason to why Kodak closed down it's factories.

Now, let us come to the point :

Why Nikon come out with F6.

Why photographers still look for the orignal lens machine instead of digital machines to print out pictures of value? (personal view, the colour in digital machine are too fake for my eyes)

Btw, I am not comparing a DSLR to a Medium format camera .... I am comparing a Medium Format Digital Back to a 35mm flim camera.

If you talk about digital photography, blowing up is no problem if you don't mind the quality, similarly, when I take a picture in 35mm flim, I can scan it into the computer with resolution superceding any DSLR can offer (look at Minolta 5400, a 5400 x 5400 DPI .... just think how big can it be blown up as compared to your FujiS2pro) and still retain the Dynamic Range and Latitude. Digtial output is still not as realistic as analog output, colour tend to wash out and loses it gradient when it becomes to similar. Try takinhg a white or black shirt with film and digital camera, you will understand why. Especially if flashlight is in use.

Basically, you have to do research on items you want to promote. Fujiflim, for example is still researching on Films and is reaping profit on films like nothing. Then Agfa and Kodak wanting to follow Fuji to get back to film after their Digital ditch failed miserably with their new films Optima and High Definition, but because they are so far behind, they are unable to catch up anymore.

Company such as Kodak blindly follows the Digital trend and ended up almost belly up. Kodak, as you know, is one of the first company to invest heavily on Digital Cameras and slowing down on films, thus causing a painful sight now. Kodak was the first company to come up with a Digital Camera, Kodak DCS series, followed by Minolta RD175 .... look what happened to the two companies? . They made mistake one after another, ditching their strong fort to go for something they thought is the trend. It is risk taking, but for Kodak, even with its strong reserve, it is feeling the pinch of being one of the world's top negative maker to being an underdog of both films and digital arena. Minolta fall into finanical crisis and thus was surviving on mainly their light technology and one of their most successful film camera ever built, the Minolta Dynax / Maxxum / Alpha 7. Even the latest Minolta 7D is built based on Dynax 7.
    Nonetheless, this post can start a new thread which should be outside this TSWL thread. Blurblock has spent a lot of effort in his explanation, of which, not all might be true.

There is this thingy called patent rights, which Kodak has been investing heavily upon. They are not losing out.

This post is a bit personal as blurblock knows that I used to use the S2 Pro. Not sure if we have any arguments or disagreement before, but lets not get too personal here as this is a community project. You may like to reserve your disagreements in your PM to me.

Time will tell for itself with regards to the fate of film and digital technology.

And for now, let us put a stop in this thread any discussion on film versus digital, as this thread has been around some time back. Revive that thread then!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Yee
    Nonetheless, this post can start a new thread which should be outside this TSWL thread. Blurblock has spent a lot of effort in his explanation, of which, not all might be true.
    Do tell me which is not true on open thread or PM, I would like to know where had I gone Wrong

There is this thingy called patent rights, which Kodak has been investing heavily upon. They are not losing out.
    There is this thingy called a Annual Finanical Report that says they are losing out on Money and the only part they are earning tons of money is the Health Imaging Sector, nothing regarding Patent rights. Anyway, patent rights has something to do with Kodak investing in Digital and giving up Flim?

This post is a bit personal as blurblock knows that I used to use the S2 Pro. Not sure if we have any arguments or disagreement before, but lets not get too personal here as this is a community project. You may like to reserve your disagreements in your PM to me.
    Not really personal, you mentioned in your previous posting on how your S2 Pro can achieve certain resolution to print 30 x 40 print, I am just trying to demostrate a film can achieve equal and more. Nothing against you.

Time will tell for itself with regards to the fate of film and digital technology.
    That I agree, and I am quite sure digital technology will prevail in the end, just like plastic negative prevail over glass technology, but then in current situation where digital technology is still behind analog, there is still some length to go, thus my view on film is still graphically superior, for the time being.

And for now, let us put a stop in this thread any discussion on film versus digital, as this thread has been around some time back. Revive that thread then!
    Sure why not. I am not saying digital is better or worse off then film, but if you compare side by side, the answer is crystal clear. Digital will catch up some day, but not today.
    Last edited by blurblock; 5th December 2004 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by acroamatic
    Read the rest of the article here.

To Singapore With Love website
    for those who wish to submit their contributions...tomorrow closing date.

Hi Steven, is there any update on this project? Seems like a long time after the 2nd selection. Still no release of autors of selected photos??

what a waste. Missed this opportunity. Just got back from Australia. Anyway I can still submit?

"The orginizers reserve the right to reproduce the images or use it for publication, publicity and exhibition purposes, without payment of any fees to the author."

I personally am against the condition stated above. The previous SBG competition was the same (co-organized by PSS). Once your images are submitted, regardless of whether they're chosen, they're free to use it for whatever purpose they deem fit.

Quote Originally Posted by ywh
    "The orginizers reserve the right to reproduce the images or use it for publication, publicity and exhibition purposes, without payment of any fees to the author."

I personally am against the condition stated above. The previous SBG competition was the same (co-organized by PSS). Once your images are submitted, regardless of whether they're chosen, they're free to use it for whatever purpose they deem fit.
    this is why some photography competitions i don't even bother to take a look at it. simply they are making use of us to get in stock photos that they don't need to pay a single cents.

but anyway for this TSWL.....i contributes.....for my country.....is not a competition here afterall.

The selection process is ongoing. In the meantime, sit back, relax, and wait for the birth of this splendid book. In a way, the quality of the images submitted are great and it is a "tough fight" to have the image chosen to be in the book.

Official figures of entries will be released soon.

Quote Originally Posted by jesser
    this is why some photography competitions i don't even bother to take a look at it. simply they are making use of us to get in stock photos that they don't need to pay a single cents.

but anyway for this TSWL.....i contributes.....for my country.....is not a competition here afterall.
    Jesser is absolutely correct. This is not a competition, rather, it is a contribution to make a big birthday gift for our nation's 40th birthday. This is a very meaningful project.

My issue was why should PSS be allowed to use the images submitted for anything they deem fit for? If this applies to the published images, it is by all means fair but then again, why in the world would PSS want to use images that were not shot by their members?

If it is solely for the contribution for a publication for our nation, yes, I would encourage everyone to submit but the above is a major turnoff. Tell me about killing two birds with one stone....

My issue was why should PSS be allowed to use the images submitted for anything they deem fit for? If this applies to the published images, it is by all means fair but then again, why in the world would PSS want to use images that were not shot by their members?

If it is solely for the contribution for a publication for our nation, yes, I would encourage everyone to submit but the above is a major turnoff. Tell me about killing two birds with one stone....
    Well, goodness gracious, I do not know how this conclusion above came about.

PSS is just a secretariat for the project. The Steering committee, chaired by Mr Kwek Leng Joo, has the finaly say on how to promote the cause and the use of the images. There is overwhelming response to the project, and only selected images will be used for the book and the publicity. PSS has no right to use the image for its own activities!

In fact, the pictorial sub committee, headed by Mr Lee Tiah Khee, who is chief photographer at Zaobao, consists of representatives from the 5 photographic clubs.

I hope this clarifies once again.

Indeed, it is a real pity if anyone refused to submit because of the misinterpretation. This has been quite clear all the while.

And once again, this is not a solely PSS project, as there are a other partners in it, and include the other 4 photography clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by jesser
    We live and work here in Singapore and although we are not PR or a citizen of Singapore yet but we contribute too. Sometimes, Its not about money.
    San Francisco Bay Area California Wedding Photographer
    www.thisisitphotograpy.com

Steven,

If what you said was what the condition meant, then I must apologize for my misintepretation. But I personally feel that the condition could have been stated in a clearer way rather than just saying publicity (of what?).

It was my previous unpleasant experience with the SBG competition where (if I recall correctly) that PSS will own the copyright of the winning images that had my impression of this society changed for the worse.

Still I must applaud all the organizers for the effort and wish them the best for this project.
    Last edited by ywh; 18th March 2005 at 03:59 PM.

Nope, PSS does not own the rights to the images that won prizes in the Botanic GArden competition. It is the Botanic Gardens that own them. I really do not see why PSS needs to own the rights, especially since our membership strength is more than 1800 members and we usually do not have problem when we request for images for exhibition purpose.

Steven,

If what you said was what the condition meant, then I must apologize for my misintepretation. But I personally feel that the condition could have been stated in a clearer way rather than just saying publicity (of what?).
    Aiyah, I think the organisers just being kiasu, want to have everything covered, scared kena sue or kena big copyright bill, so they come out with a vague and general rule to say that if they use, they won't get into trouble lah.

Seriously, why should they want to use the pixs for anything other than the book and for publicity and other matters related to the book? I don't think they so like that one lah.

And why some people here seem rather negative about PSS? Already Steven said many times that PSS is not the sole organiser but still PSS kena attack.

Have they done anything bad/wrong before? If cannot post in public, pm me lah. I just kaypoh want to know.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast