Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: To Singapore With Love

Deadline is tomorrow ... any1 submitting ??
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

there are 2 deadlines, 1 is tomorrow, the other is next year, forgot when already .... so still got time to shoot and submit

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT ONG
    Deadline is tomorrow ... any1 submitting ??
    Have you?

Quote Originally Posted by leecl
    Have you?
    i'm sure he did.

he's gallery was browsed through and the good shots were even hand picked for him as recommendations to submit.

Quote Originally Posted by obviousdude
    i'm sure he did.

he's gallery was browsed through and the good shots were even hand picked for him as recommendations to submit.
    Hi dude .... still haven't submit yet lar ....

Still got a few assignments over the last weekend pending post processing ... dun know tmr got enough time just to find back the file and submit by hand to PSS ... hope can make it ...
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT ONG
    Hi dude .... still haven't submit yet lar ....

Still got a few assignments over the last weekend pending post processing ... dun know tmr got enough time just to find back the file and submit by hand to PSS ... hope can make it ...
    this requirement to have to hand deliver is alittle bit of a hassle...

Default I am not so sure....

The cause may be a good one and possibly noble. Something bothers me though.

As I read through the Rules and Regulations , I tell myself - wow...this is a tad stodgy.

I wonder what is the real intention of expecting CDs MUST BE HAND DELIVERED with duly completed form to "The Photographic Society of Singapore". I wonder - "Is the main organiser trying to promote the awareness of their club through personal visit to the club, or more so the project itself ?" Is such onerous administrative requirement neccessary for busy singaporean? Isn't other mode of delivery possible? When one uses word such as "MUST" means there is no other way round it.

Surely, the committee members need to be wary of such onerous submission requirements.

I suspect that imposing such a process may somehow destroy the spirit and enthusiatic participation to the noble project itself. In other words, in spite of the publicity that have been created, you don't actually get the full participation of Singaporean, who like myself is simply being put off by the burdensome requirements. Just a comment from me, a layman perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Yee
    Well, perhaps it is time to go digital. The DSLRs are more affordable now.
    If a DSLR can reach the quality of a film, I would not mind it, but the true is it is far from near, the gradient and toning is not there. The truely good DSLR or rather the Medium format backs which in personal view near the quality of a 35mm film is beyond the reach of a humble person like myself at 35k.........

Maybe you should be thinking of people who do not own a DSLR but are more interested in the quality of the output. For me, I have to take the picture in flims (most probably Medium Format), then I have to spend money to go to scan it in, then go to collect it, then go to PSS to hand it in ...... don't you think it is quite ridicuious? Why not just ask for a print to be sent to PSS by mail, I am quite sure more people have access to post office and processing shop somewhere, unless of course PSS starts to have branches around Singapore like the post office. You can choose the pictures and then request for a soft copy if the picture is chosen. It is more economical that way for most people who shoot via flims.
    Last edited by blurblock; 30th November 2004 at 09:55 AM.

Well, perhaps it is time to go digital. The DSLRs are more affordable now.
    Hmmm... Would like to but they're still beyond my reach (Dynax 7D).

On a different note, I really like joining contests but lately more and more of them seem to be geared towards digital. Take PhotoI's '2005 Digital Photographer of Year' contest for instance. Or Canon's Buskers Moments which only accepts uploaded images at their kiosks. Oh well.

well, it is a fact that the photography industry (camera manufacturers) are all geared towards digital technology. This thread is not meant to discuss on digital revolution, but probably a quickie to make everyone feel comfortable about digital.

I started shooting with film in 1989, and my dream then was to have a camera that does not use film, and we can see the result straight away. Digital technology does not exists in those days. I used to be a film user and now I truly see the advantage of digital.

Perhaps we should start thinking:
    (1) Why did Kodak shut down so many factories worldwide that produces films, and now focus on digital imaging and patent application?
    (2) Why did Konica and Minolta merge?
    (3) Why did Fujifilm began heavy investments in digital imaging equipment, especially the popular S series of DSLR?
    (4) Why did Agfa have heavy investment in digital printing machines?

The trend is there. It is either they go digital somehow or lose their market share.

Just my personal opinions.

And certainly, the convenience of digital equipment is recognised by many photographers. Now is probably time to compare which DSLR can produce good results, instead of lamenting that digital is not as good as film. In fact, for those who have used the Fujifilm S2Pro, you should know that after Photoshop processing, the image taken with it should have no problem blowing up up 30 by 40 inches via Lambda printer, much better than 35mm SLR!

And certainly, we cannot use a DSLR to compare with a 120 film medium format camera. We should probably use Phase One to compare with the 120!

The reason why we prefer digital media is the ease of administration. We are looking at 300 selected images for publication. We also have a tight deadline. Imagine the administration hussle we will have chasing after 300 negatives to be drum scanned eventually for the production? With digital, the image can be sent directly to the designer for the layout.

Next is the costing. It will probably cost about $1.50 to do a good scan for 35mm film. Wheareas it will cost about $4 to do a 8R print.

Perhaps you have a bad experience with an early DSLR. You may like to try a few DSLR and compare the difference. It is a fact that many photographers today enjoy the options of having the ability to adjust the tones and contrast via image manipulation software. Better control, instead of leaving it to the lab. Put it this way, in those days when we use films, we still have to leave it to the lab to adjust the tone and contrast for us anyway.

This is a community project, nonprofit, and the budget is tight. It is for well wishers to contribute to the success of this project to celebrate Singapore's 40th anniversary.

Quote Originally Posted by LCT
    The cause may be a good one and possibly noble. Something bothers me though.

As I read through the Rules and Regulations , I tell myself - wow...this is a tad stodgy.

I wonder what is the real intention of expecting CDs MUST BE HAND DELIVERED with duly completed form to "The Photographic Society of Singapore". I wonder - "Is the main organiser trying to promote the awareness of their club through personal visit to the club, or more so the project itself ?" Is such onerous administrative requirement neccessary for busy singaporean? Isn't other mode of delivery possible? When one uses word such as "MUST" means there is no other way round it.

Surely, the committee members need to be wary of such onerous submission requirements.

I suspect that imposing such a process may somehow destroy the spirit and enthusiatic participation to the noble project itself. In other words, in spite of the publicity that have been created, you don't actually get the full participation of Singaporean, who like myself is simply being put off by the burdensome requirements. Just a comment from me, a layman perspective.
    Well, the reason why we prefer hand delivery is to ensure that the CD reach the collection point. Upon delivery, there is a sign in book to acknowledge receipt of CDs. We have encountered cases of images lost in mail in previous projects. This clause is usually stated in most other photography competitions. This is to ensure that all photographers have their works go into the judging session.

I do not understand why there are sentiments that such clause are meant to promote the club. There are many other ways to do so. PSS is doing a community service, serving as Secretariat, activating its manpower and resources to serve as a collection point and doing the administrative work.

Default .

well, it is a fact that the photography industry (camera manufacturers) are all geared towards digital technology. This thread is not meant to discuss on digital revolution, but probably a quickie to make everyone feel comfortable about digital.

I started shooting with film in 1989, and my dream then was to have a camera that does not use film, and we can see the result straight away. Digital technology does not exists in those days. I used to be a film user and now I truly see the advantage of digital.

(1) Why did Kodak shut down so many factories worldwide that produces films, and now focus on digital imaging and patent application?
    (3) Why did Fujifilm began heavy investments in digital imaging equipment, especially the popular S series of DSLR?

The trend is there. It is either they go digital somehow or lose their market share.

And certainly, the convenience of digital equipment is recognised by many photographers. Now is probably time to compare which DSLR can produce good results, instead of lamenting that digital is not as good as film. In fact, for those who have used the Fujifilm S2Pro, you should know that after Photoshop processing, the image taken with it should have no problem blowing up up 30 by 40 inches via Lambda printer, much better than 35mm SLR!

And certainly, we cannot use a DSLR to compare with a 120 film medium format camera. We should probably use Phase One to compare with the 120!
    I trust any existing films user is cognizance and certianly aware where the photography industrial trend is heading towards.

However, film is not dead yet, so appreciate if a supposedly noble and meaningful cause try not to set a trend here.
    The spirit and objectives of this cause/project is,I believed, not meant to be whether it is pro film or pro digital. The objective of the project is to bring in as many contribution from S'porean as you can -be it digital or film shots. The spirit appears to me to be smouldered by the biasness towards digital and the unreasonably strict (MUST BRING DOWN PERSONALLY) submission requirement.

On the whole, I seriously cannot see how the committee can achieve maximum reach with those administrative (submission) burden and also pro-digital approach. ~sigh~

Default .

Well, the reason why we prefer hand delivery is to ensure that the CD reach the collection point. Upon delivery, there is a sign in book to acknowledge receipt of CDs. We have encountered cases of images lost in mail in previous projects. This clause is usually stated in most other photography competitions. This is to ensure that all photographers have their works go into the judging session.

I do not understand why there are sentiments that such clause are meant to promote the club. There are many other ways to do so. PSS is doing a community service, serving as Secretariat, activating its manpower and resources to serve as a collection point and doing the administrative work.
    Well, Steven thanks for your reply. Thinking broadly, I would imagine the percentage of loss in mail is minimal versus the better quality photographs that you may potentially have received if it had been more agreeable on submission requirement. Btw, this is not a contest but a supposedly noble cause. You or your club may have your preferences. However, please re-visit your entry forms on submission requirement. I must point to you that there is a "MUST BRING DOWN PERSONALLY" as stated in the form. So its non-negotiable for any participant, not even by our local trustworthy registered post! This is clearly limiting the submission - hope you and your committee are aware of this. I wonder how did you sent your prints or CD to overseas to get all your photographic accolades ? Send down personally? Btw, I am not here to challenge your stand or your committee's approach. I have given my comment and feedback and I shall end here.

Cameras might be geared towards Digital Technology, but that by no means the indication of superior quality as compared to flim. I started photography in early 1985 and had tried and sold my Canon 10D. Taken some picture with top range Canon and Nikon cameras before, but still felt the output isn't good enough. I am waiting to see the Dynax 7D though.

But the fact is, even until today, the Dynamic Range of DSLR still cannot match Negative. I am comfortable with Digital Machine, I am IT trained by profession and I am Information, Library and Storage Sciences Trained as well, thus I guess I am more then qualified to say that I am not technophobic. You had received my email regarding why I felt Digital storage is of less permenent then Analog storage such as slides, I think you should know where am I coming from.

I used to be a Digital User (Canon 10D) and then I sold it and revert back to film.

For your indication :

Perhaps it is because of the fact they did not put down as much research as Fuji on Film and Fuji has been overtaking them in Film quality and thus became the defacto standard for film. Thus knowing they are out of the league to compete again Fuji on film quality, they decided to embark on the so called "next big thing".

It was because of three reasons.

1. Minolta made a mistake of putting all its resources on APS camera back in 1990s thinking it will ride the wave, however, no one bothers about APS camera even until today. The developing is ridicious.

2. Minolta infringe a patent of Honeywell back in 1993 and was being sued and lost a few billions on the lawsuit, thus setting it back quite a lot.

3. Konica is doing well in Japan, but is losing it's market worldwide as they are technologically deficient. Minolta being an innovative company holding quite a few technological advancement and a bunch of loyal customer, is the perfect fit for Konica to devour and turn it's technology to be used. One needs money to stay a float, one needs the technological. Thus they merged to form a more formiable entity before both was crushed.

It is because digital imaging equipment is one of Fujifilm forte with it's frontier machine, but then it is losing out to Noritsu machine.... if you noticed carefully, you would have notice Fuji Machines does not seems to be growing as fast as it was before, and they have to regain lost ground.

The S series of DSLR is just another DSLR, like 20D, D70, SD10, *istD, 7D .. etc etc .... not much of a argument there. To stay a float, you must follow the trend, but that does not mean the trend is always accurate. Take APS for example, it was a trend for 2 years, before it forces Minolta to go under.

Similar reason to why Kodak closed down it's factories.

Now, let us come to the point :

Why Nikon come out with F6.

Why photographers still look for the orignal lens machine instead of digital machines to print out pictures of value? (personal view, the colour in digital machine are too fake for my eyes)

Btw, I am not comparing a DSLR to a Medium format camera .... I am comparing a Medium Format Digital Back to a 35mm flim camera.

If you talk about digital photography, blowing up is no problem if you don't mind the quality, similarly, when I take a picture in 35mm flim, I can scan it into the computer with resolution superceding any DSLR can offer (look at Minolta 5400, a 5400 x 5400 DPI .... just think how big can it be blown up as compared to your FujiS2pro) and still retain the Dynamic Range and Latitude. Digtial output is still not as realistic as analog output, colour tend to wash out and loses it gradient when it becomes to similar. Try takinhg a white or black shirt with film and digital camera, you will understand why. Especially if flashlight is in use.

Basically, you have to do research on items you want to promote. Fujiflim, for example is still researching on Films and is reaping profit on films like nothing. Then Agfa and Kodak wanting to follow Fuji to get back to film after their Digital ditch failed miserably with their new films Optima and High Definition, but because they are so far behind, they are unable to catch up anymore.

Company such as Kodak blindly follows the Digital trend and ended up almost belly up. Kodak, as you know, is one of the first company to invest heavily on Digital Cameras and slowing down on films, thus causing a painful sight now. Kodak was the first company to come up with a Digital Camera, Kodak DCS series, followed by Minolta RD175 .... look what happened to the two companies? . They made mistake one after another, ditching their strong fort to go for something they thought is the trend. It is risk taking, but for Kodak, even with its strong reserve, it is feeling the pinch of being one of the world's top negative maker to being an underdog of both films and digital arena. Minolta fall into finanical crisis and thus was surviving on mainly their light technology and one of their most successful film camera ever built, the Minolta Dynax / Maxxum / Alpha 7. Even the latest Minolta 7D is built based on Dynax 7.

I must say both films and digital serve two different purposes with the same goal, but for PSS to be so bias towards Digital photography and turning its back from it's original source and even to the extent of virtually undermine films is nonsenscial.
    Last edited by blurblock; 2nd December 2004 at 11:02 AM.

Let's not get over such issue as in "MUST BRING DOWN PERSONALLY" as stated in the form, I trusted that the committee must have discussed in length to come to this decision to ensure that all images submitted are received in good hands. They just want to be certain and doesn't that meant it is wrong to do so ..

Put it this way, if you are keen to submit .. you will not bored so much about whatever rules they set ... JUST DO IT ...
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

Is the submission still open?

Quote Originally Posted by hazmee
    There is another dateline in Feb, I think .

Quote Originally Posted by hazmee
    "To Singapore with Love" Project
    The Secretariat
    The Photographic Society of Singapore
    30 Selegie Road, Selegie Arts Centre
    Singapore 182230

Tel: 6334 3361
    Opening Hours:
    Monday to Friday - 2pm to 10pm
    Saturday and Sunday - 12pm to 6pm

You can contact the club house to check whether they are still open for submission prior to judging ...
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

Thanks a lot guys! Its actually nearby my workplace. I m trying to send pics of my hometown. Hopefully it'll be in the book. Anyway, no one knows where Teban Gardens is. Hehe.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast