Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: To Singapore With Love

Quote Originally Posted by leecl
    The quality of a picture will be much better technically when the resolution is higher (apart from other factors like dynamic range etc) when it is blown up. In essence, if you've done some prints on 8Rs and it appears good, you're on. Why 3000 ppi on the long side? This is a guide of the kind of size of file we'd expect during submissions. Don't let that trouble you too much. You may use photoshop or any other s/w and check that on one side of your picture it is 3000 pixels. If the picture is really very good (and the resolution so,so) maybe the publishers can do something about it. It may still appear ok and acceptable for the book. The selection panel will decide.

CL Lee

No digital camera .... how? You mean you only accept photographs from digital camera users?

hi hi,

For film user, you can have the negatives or slides scanned into digital files.

One of the good place to do scanning is at Cd Alchemy (68424001 look for irene) and request for a good 16 Base scan done by a Kodak machine. Professionals often go there for scanning. 16 Base scan should get you a 6 megapixel image, good enough if you are shooting on 35mm film format. If you shoot on 120 format, might as well go for the 64 Base scan.

Yeah, take this opportunity to have your films scanned into digital format for posterity and archive before the film deteriorate over time. I have already scanned most of my better shots done on film already, just in case. Films do not last!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Yee
    hi hi,

One of the good place to do scanning is at Cd Alchemy (68424001 look for irene) and request for a good 16 Base scan done by a Kodak machine. Professionals often go there for scanning. 16 Base scan should get you a 6 megapixel image, good enough if you are shooting on 35mm film format. If you shoot on 120 format, might as well go for the 64 Base scan.

Yeah, take this opportunity to have your films scanned into digital format for posterity and archive before the film deteriorate over time. I have already scanned most of my better shots done on film already, just in case. Films do not last!
    Digital Images does not last either ......... hehehehe .... if not believe, ask Prof Shubert Foo from NTU ......

hi hi,

Where is this CD Alchemy anyway???????

Dear Steven Yee,

Oops .... you went thru at length to see my humble galleries ...

I saw you once when you last did your presentation at BLCC but didn't manage to join you for coffee ... known Hua Heng and Seow Hong quite well ..

I am quite familiar with titleship (BIPP, MPA, FIAP etc etc.) but just didn't go out there to get ... been too busy and costly ...

Well, I will see how my timing go and thanks very much for your opinion ... probably submit Ministers photos
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

Which faculty does Prof Shulbert Foo belongs to? I am from MPE.

Cd Alchemy is at Kaki Bukit Shun Li Industrial building. If yu drive, can make a visit there. If not, and if you have a lot to scan, they can arrange for a despatch to collect from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro-New
    This is a project for Singaporean (photographers) to show their love for the country thro' photos durig the celebration of the country's birthday. Its is to show unity. At least this project is fully underwritten by Mr Kwek. Photo Clubs' involvment is to help iin gathering and orgainising shoots. Idea generators do not need to worry about money matters. Selling the book at $40 is just not to re-coup the money spend. Otherwise, how would the book going to be distributed? Send one to every household?

Well, if you want to compare with some CSers here, in the name of promotiing photography and giving benifits to members, but profiteering in activities they organise.
    e.g. http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=95112, TSWL is indeed a noble project.

Ask denniskee how difficult it is to organise the Orchard Rd shoot (http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=94490). Still wondering who is sponsoring his project that is going to make a record for the country.
    Yap, it a tough job, but someone has to take it up (me lor). Anyway, my committee are working on it now (getting sponsorship). Will keep every posted. May be having the 3rd meeting sometime next week (wednesday maybe) @ funan food court. Anybody feel like contributing his / her effort to the project are welcome. But even you dont think you can for some reasons, you are still welcome to join us.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

This sounds good, ya.

Looks like we will have more photos for the "To Singapore With Love" project.

Cheers Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT ONG
    Dear Steven Yee,

Oops .... you went thru at length to see my humble galleries ...

Well, I will see how my timing go and thanks very much for your opinion ... probably submit Ministers photos
    Hope more Clubsnappers will come forward with their photos for the TSWL (To Singapore with ) project hor...
    Get more Photographers to join in our National Project too. Spread the words around.

CL Lee

Default To Singapore With Love

Quote Originally Posted by blurblock
    Digital Images does not last either ......... hehehehe .... if not believe, ask Prof Shubert Foo from NTU ......
    It'll last alright if you submit it to TSWL and it gets accepted. It'll go into our National Archieve with your name on it.

CL Lee

Is the $40 meant to be printing cost of the book or meant to be profit for the organizer?

Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    Is the $40 meant to be printing cost of the book or meant to be profit for the organizer?
    This is a non-profit event.

Can I presume Singapore Press Holding will be the printer for the book, and it costs SPH $40 to print the book. There will be no profit from printing the book.
    Thank you.

I felt that with this offer, at least the photographer gets to see his work published along with the works of the other masters....., and it is a fair exchange, thou not one book for one photo....

will definately make an attempt to submit my humble works if I can make grade....

Quote Originally Posted by Darren
    Tentatively, the TWSL committee has gotten approval to give a free copy of the book to all photographers whose works are selected for inclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    Can I presume Singapore Press Holding will be the printer for the book, and it costs SPH $40 to print the book. There will be no profit from printing the book.
    Thank you.
    Well, if one has ever attempted to print his own colour pictorial book that is about 300 pages will realise that the cost of printing alone per book is at least $30 to $40. This has not taken into account the cost incurred in the distribution channels. No point publishing a book that is only sold in a few shops, or worse, left on the shelves or warehouse. At this point in time, we shall only say that the book shall be published by a reputable publisher with the appropriate distribution channel to make the book a success not just locally.

IMO, I hope the books will not only be avialable in singapore, but also oversea (I hope success for it). This will benefit all singaporean as it will help bring in more tourist.

Thats one of the benefit for the committee of "Officially, Orchard!" project hopes for.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Default Countdown To First Submission Deadline

Time for a countdown. 18 more days to the first submission. To date, more than 1500 images have been received. The images will start pouring in towards the end. Keep up the momentum. Show your best.

hi hi,

All this trouble for film users. Sigh...

Quote Originally Posted by Ben1223
    All this trouble for film users. Sigh...
    Well, perhaps it is time to go digital. The DSLRs are more affordable now.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast