Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: To Singapore With Love

From wat I understand (flame me if u want, I don't care), this book mend to celebrate Singapore's 40th birthday. It's mend for the Nation, so the idea is to gather all Singaporeans who own a camera to contribute & celebrate through, pics taken by Singaporeans for Singapore.

If u looking at money or fame, then u r too narrow. Contribute if u want, nobody is forcing anybody.

".........ask not what the country can do for you, ask what you can do for the country..........." JFK

Well, it's not always "QUALITY PHOTOGRAPHERS & QUALITY EQUIPMENTS WIIL HAVE QUALITY PHOTOS".
    Last edited by ahsiang; 7th October 2004 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ahsiang
    From wat I understand (flame me if u want, I don't care), this book mend to celebrate Singapore's 40th birthday. It's mend for the Nation, so the idea is to gather all Singaporeans who own a camera to contribute & celebrate through, pics taken by Singaporeans for Singapore.

If u looking at money or fame, then u r too narrow. Contribute if u want, nobody is forcing anybody.

".........ask not what the country can do for you, ask what you can do for the country..........." JFK

Well, it's not always "QUALITY PHOTOGRAPHERS & QUALITY EQUIPMENTS WIIL HAVE QUALITY PHOTOS".
    hey man.... its "the man behind the camera who create the picture...... not the camera in front of the man create the picture......."

Default time is limited

Hey guys, cool it man.

Rather than spending time arguing about the monetory issue, have you thought of the effort behind the whole project. Everyone in the committees are volunteer and are NOT PAID A SINGLE CENT. If you think this project is as simple as just submit photo and the book comes out, you are wrong. You cannot imagine the vast amount of resources and time spent on the planning and implementation process, yes, all by heart warming volunteers!

Every good picture is priceless if it captures that "decisive" moment. Why not put the image to better use by contributing to the book? At least, you get a chance to see it being published. And just a note, the images that are eventually selected for printing shall be shortlisted from a vast number of images contributed.

Singapore should gear towards a gracious Society. Take this as a chance to contribute to Singapore, and at the same time, see whether you are lucky to have your works published alongside the master photographers as well as the newbies. It is a win-win situation!!!

Default time is running out

Do check out www.tswl.org.sg regularly for updates on events (soon) as well as any news.

The first submission deadline is drawing near. Bring out your best and deserving shots and have a go for the book.

Time and tide waits for no men. If you respect your images, they should deserve a chance for a place in the book.

Quote Originally Posted by ahsiang

Sometimes I agree, sometimes I disagree, this time I agree with ahsiang. Well said.

Yup...Take it easy man..

It's voluntary anyway. No Difference from joining any photo competition....

To put things into perspective, even if you submit, your photos may not be appropriate and selected to be in the book.

Blog Entries

Default An update on this project

The TSWL Project Manager (for lack of a better term) has contacted us to assist them in this ambitious book and also to dispel some uncertainties on the organisation and coordination of this project.

Tentatively, the TWSL committee has gotten approval to give a free copy of the book to all photographers whose works are selected for inclusion.

The TSWL project is not a competition, thus there is no overall winner or best picture category and there is no prize money involved.

oh i c.... well free $40 book..

just like the free sars book for TTSH staff..

maybe nxt time we can put it up as portfolio

ah... free book as a form of appriciation sounds pretty good. think i might participate...

Thumbs up To Singapore With Love (TSWL)

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy
    ah... free book as a form of appriciation sounds pretty good. think i might participate...
    Think of it this way. Many Photo Competitions has been organised with price money ranging from S$500 to S$10,000 for the best entry. There are those where winners only get a trophy with no cash rewards.

In most of these competitions, the organisors probably pays a negligible amount of less than S$5,000. The TSWL project will involve an expenditure of S$500,000 or thereabout.

Everyone is a winner, those who submit their pictures and gets the recongnition of acceptance, and all Singaporeans with whom we can share the photos with.

It's a sense of achievement and satisfaction, at least to most of us, if or submission is accepted for publication. It's also a winner for Singapore to receive a photobook of "To Singapore With Love" too.

Assuming that each book cost more than S$40 (definately) and if each photographer whos photo is accepted gets a free copy of it, it'll be 300 x S$400 ie S$12,000 on top of the hundreds of thousands to be paid in the production of the book.

This is a generous pledge for the project by the sponsor. Call it a sense of belonging to Singapore by Singaporeans to do our part to put in our efforts together to produce a book as a gift to Singapore come it's 40th Birthday.

The submissions are in digital formats 3000 ppi on the long side and this is within the means of most Clubsnappers with their 5mp cameras.
    So Give it your best shots!!!.

No flaming please. If you'd like to participate lets do it. We should encourge more participants to come forward.

BTW, I find that when we tell Singaporeans that we are shooting for TSWL project we get a positive response to co-operate for the shots too.

CL Lee
    PAS Rep
    TSWL Project
    Last edited by leecl; 4th November 2004 at 09:48 PM.

Still must burn CDROM, very troublesome for some, as least for me...
    If got online submission even better. Then if get selected, e-mail in the full size.

3000 pixels on the long side ??? hmm... most non-slr digital cameras are 4:3 format rite?

Width x Height = total pixel count
    3000 x ( 3000/4x3) = 6.75million

dSLRs are... 16:9 ratio? (correct me if i'm wrong)

3000 x (3000/16x9) = 5.06million

huh huh... my camera is only 4.1megapix... how how how?

Talking

3000 pixels on the long side ??? hmm... most non-slr digital cameras are 4:3 format rite?

The quality of a picture will be much better technically when the resolution is higher (apart from other factors like dynamic range etc) when it is blown up. In essence, if you've done some prints on 8Rs and it appears good, you're on. Why 3000 ppi on the long side? This is a guide of the kind of size of file we'd expect during submissions. Don't let that trouble you too much. You may use photoshop or any other s/w and check that on one side of your picture it is 3000 pixels. If the picture is really very good (and the resolution so,so) maybe the publishers can do something about it. It may still appear ok and acceptable for the book. The selection panel will decide.

CL Lee

Default Tswl

Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    Still must burn CDROM, very troublesome for some, as least for me...
    If got online submission even better. Then if get selected, e-mail in the full size.
    I don't think anyone can decide in the forum. Maybe someone can say ...heh, that's some wonder picture that you've got there. Why not send it in. The panel of judges will decide. You yourself can decide. We hope we can get some lifely discussion here. I'll take it that it's just as any club where members discuss amongst themselves as to what to submit etc.

Pass it to your friend and "Tompang" in his CD rom lor...

Regards,

CL Lee

Dear Fuzzy,

It should be

4:3 format rite

Height x Width = total pixel count
    3000 x ( 3000/3x4)

dSLRs are... if at 16:9 ratio

3000 x (3000/9x16)

Anyway, Photoshop will adjust the proportion for you, as long as the longer side is set at 3000 pixels, and set at 300 dpi ideally, all via Photoshop.

OK, OK, to set record right and to simplify matters, the dimension as follows:

For a vertical frame:
    3000 x ( 3000/3x4)

3000 x (3000/9x16)

For a horizontal frame:
    3000 x ( 3000/3x4)

3000 x (3000/9x16)

To make matters look easy, as long as you do not shoot the image with a camera of resolution less than 2 megapixel, you should have no problem getting this resolution. For snappers who are having cameras with more than 3 megapixels, you should have no problem with the submission.

Dear fellow photographers,

Some clarification here. Please refer to the site www.tswl.org.sg for the entry guidelines.

Each participant can send as many entries as he or she wants, but each CD MUST contain only the works of one photographer for ease of administration.

Images submitted MUST be in JPEG format with minimum compression.

The resolution of the image is set at minimum 3000 pixels at the longer side.

The filenames should be adequately named:
    a. Category _ Name _ Title
    b. ie: LFP _ JohnTan _ CareForElderly
    c. The initials for the 3 categories are

Love For Nature - LFN
    Love For People - LFP
    Love For Arts & Culture - LFA

Enjoy the shooting and submission, and let us play a part for Singapore.

Feel free to email me at peacock@sandvenimage.com should you have any enquiries.

Regards,

Steven Yee Pui Chung FRPS, FPSS, FPSM
    Secretariat
    "To Singapore With Love" Project

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Yee
    Dear fellow photographers,

Enjoy the shooting and submission, and let us play a part for Singapore.

Feel free to email me at peacock@sandvenimage.com should you have any enquiries.

Regards,

Steven Yee Pui Chung FRPS, FPSS, FPSM
    Secretariat
    "To Singapore With Love" Project
    kekeke ... first time I seen you using your titleship ... what does PSM meant ? Isit from Ipoh ??
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

hmmmm....

I will only use the titles for official replies.

F= Fellowship
    PSS = The Photographic Society of Singapore (www.pss1950.org)
    PSM = The Photographic Society of Malaysia (Based in KL)
    RPS = The Royal Photographic Society, Great Britain (www.rps.org)

Dear Knight,

I have just went to your website and there are some photos that you may like to consider submitting (just my humble opinion and no guarantee that they will be selected by the judges):

NDP gallery:
    DSC_2074.JPG (people with red shirt in a circle) for LFP
    DSC_1835.JPG (red shirt with the Singapore flag) for LFP
    DSC_1818.JPG (saying of the pledge) for LFP

First aid gallery:
    DSC_5274.JPG (bandaging) for LFP

Green gallery:
    Dsc_2299.jpg for LFP
    Dsc_2307.jpg for LFP

Opera nite gallery:
    Dsc_8146.jpg for LFA
    Dsc_8221.jpg for LFA
    Dsc_8129.jpg for LFA
    Dsc_8199.jpg for LFA

Countdown party gallery:
    Foam Party for LFP
    Dsc_5136.jpg for LFP

Rojak gallery:
    Dog Parade for LFP

powerboat race gallery:
    DSC_7657 for LFP
    DSC_7685 for LFP

Feel free to join me at PSS clubhouse (63343361, opposite Paradiz) this evening from 7pm to 9pm as I will be having a sharing session with a few photographers.

Regards,

Steven

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast