Had an interesting experience today:
I went shooting around CITY hall area today and when done I went back to my car at the Armenian St. carpark. As I approached my car, 2 young men in a delivery van drove up, stopped me in my tracks and offered to 'give' me a set of Hi-fi speakers.
They claimed that:
1. The store hands at the shop got into an argument and in the process, loaded their trucks with additional speaker sets so...
2. Now...they are going to 'give' away to anyone who can give them a bit of 'drinking' money...they asked me to place a bid.
3. They then proceeded to show me their van and lo and behold it was filled with sets of speakers but the brand was 'E-VOX'
4. FOrtunately I'm a hi-fi buff and the name 'E-Vox' is unheard of and that roused my suspicion, nevertheless I've got $40 in my wallet so...let's see...
5. I told them plainly that I only have $40 and showed them and asked them about how much they expect as 'drinking' money. They replied $300 each. "WTF!!!" I thought to myself...
6. They even suggested that I hop into their van so that they can drive me to an ATM somewhere where I can w/draw the cash.
7. I said 'No' and insisted that I have only $40. They then proceeded to gave me a 'discount' to $150 per person.
8. I insisted on 'No' and told them that actually I've got a pretty good set at home (one without such vague names as 'EVOX!') They even had the cheek to ask me to upgrade (yes...to EVOX!)
9. I stood my ground and they left just before the CISCO car park guy came in his bike helmet (one of those rare times I was glad to see the carpark guy!)
10. Anyway, I talked to a few friends about it and they have heard of these cases before and warn people that sometimes these speakers may:
a. have nothing inside!
b. have inferior parts
c. be stolen goods (and may be traceable by the authories!)
So...people, be warned!! Be very very warned.
By the way, anyone knows how I can highlight this to the authorities e.g. writing to FORUM? CASE?