Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: A Disk that last forever?

  1. #1
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default A Disk that last forever?

    Just thought that it's interesting to share...

    New M-DISC to Provide Up To 1,000 Years of Permanent Data Storage
    http://www.guru3d.com/news/new-mdisc...-data-storage/
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  2. #2
    Member jas1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Singapore / Little Red Dot
    Posts
    475

    Default Re: A Disk that last forever?

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    Just thought that it's interesting to share...

    New M-DISC to Provide Up To 1,000 Years of Permanent Data Storage
    http://www.guru3d.com/news/new-mdisc...-data-storage/
    That interesting!!! but i don't think we have enough time to test whether does it really work for 1000 yrs...wahahaha

    Anyway really thanks for sharing...
    Nikon D5000 - 18-55mm l 55-200mm l 35mm f1.8g l Grip
    My FlickR l Google+

  3. #3
    Senior Member bonrya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a mobile cage
    Posts
    2,633

    Default

    Floppy..?
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

  4. #4
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: A Disk that last forever?

    Quote Originally Posted by bonrya View Post
    Floppy..?
    Floppy dies in 1yr. Fungus attack.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  5. #5
    Member 9V-Orion Images's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
    Posts
    1,760

    Default Re: A Disk that last forever?

    The data storage device can physically last forever theoretically but it is still a futile effort in digital archiving if the necessary support to access information in its memory become obsolete as technology rapidly evolve.

    NASA is now unable to retrieve valuable engineering blueprints for the Saturn V launch vehicle that are stored in hundreds of thousands of magnetic tapes as the necessary hardware/software and programs required to access and interpret these information are either obsolete or no longer compatible with each other. Considering most of such hardware/software and programs are proprietary in nature, you may even have problems opening contemporary file formats such as JPEG in the near future.
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 16th August 2011 at 08:28 PM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

  6. #6
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: A Disk that last forever?

    Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    The data storage device can physically last forever theoretically but it is still a futile effort in digital archiving if the necessary support to access information in its memory become obsolete as technology rapidly evolve.

    NASA is now unable to retrieve valuable engineering blueprints for the Saturn V launch vehicle that are stored in hundreds of thousands of magnetic tapes as the necessary hardware/software and programs required to access and interpret these information are either obsolete or no longer compatible with each other. Considering most of such hardware/software and programs are proprietary in nature, you may even have problems opening contemporary file formats such as JPEG in the near future.
    Fair enough...But it's still a technology I would want now....esp more so when I'm trying to recover data from my crashed hdd this instant moment -.-

    Don't need it to last forever, but long enough till the next gen "forever" disk comes out then move on.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  7. #7
    Senior Member bonrya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a mobile cage
    Posts
    2,633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike
    Floppy dies in 1yr. Fungus attack.
    What???? Can put in dry box or not?
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

  8. #8
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: A Disk that last forever?

    Quote Originally Posted by bonrya View Post
    What???? Can put in dry box or not?
    Technically speaking, yes...But I rather put it in a CD/DVD then put in the dry cabinet....
    1 Floppy = 1.44mb or the earlier batches (720 kB)
    1 DVD = Single Sided 4.7gb

    So far AFAIK, Floppies, DVD and CDs can kena fungus one...
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  9. #9
    Member 9V-Orion Images's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
    Posts
    1,760

    Default Re: A Disk that last forever?

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    Fair enough...But it's still a technology I would want now....esp more so when I'm trying to recover data from my crashed hdd this instant moment -.-

    Don't need it to last forever, but long enough till the next gen "forever" disk comes out then move on.
    LoL, 10 pieces of 4.7 GB DVD discs for US$26.59. What a marketing gimmick.

    What you want is redundancy, say a NAS with SSD support running in RAID 5 configuration. Not some DVD disc designed to last forever but without a DVD drive to read it a couple of years down to road.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

  10. #10
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: A Disk that last forever?

    Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    LoL, 10 pieces of 4.7 GB DVD discs for US$26.59. What a marketing gimmick.

    What you want is redundancy, say a NAS with SSD support running in RAID 5 configuration. Not some DVD disc designed to last forever but without a DVD drive to read it a couple of years down to road.
    Bro, no $ for the Raid/NAS setup lar....But even if got $, unlikely I will set it up also. too troublesome.

    For now can only rely on "If-I-can-remember-then-back-up-lor" method
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Yew Tee
    Posts
    677

    Default Re: A Disk that last forever?

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    Bro, no $ for the Raid/NAS setup lar....But even if got $, unlikely I will set it up also. too troublesome.

    For now can only rely on "If-I-can-remember-then-back-up-lor" method
    and the "Forget-then-too-bad-lor" method as well ..
    If the photo i took is 1% unclear, I will rather delete .. www.flickr.com/photos/59837685@N03/

  12. #12
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: A Disk that last forever?

    Quote Originally Posted by canonmono View Post
    and the "Forget-then-too-bad-lor" method as well ..
    ya..now is performing the "too-bad-suck-thumb-and-recovery-files" method now
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  13. #13
    Senior Member bonrya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a mobile cage
    Posts
    2,633

    Default Re: A Disk that last forever?

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    Technically speaking, yes...But I rather put it in a CD/DVD then put in the dry cabinet....
    1 Floppy = 1.44mb or the earlier batches (720 kB)
    1 DVD = Single Sided 4.7gb

    So far AFAIK, Floppies, DVD and CDs can kena fungus one...
    wakakakaka.. backup 400gb of data on floppy.

    lucky i do my backup online.
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

  14. #14
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: A Disk that last forever?

    Quote Originally Posted by bonrya View Post
    wakakakaka.. backup 400gb of data on floppy.
    lucky i do my backup online.
    It's not everything that you will want to backup online...once it's online, it's never private again..
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  15. #15
    Senior Member bonrya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a mobile cage
    Posts
    2,633

    Default Re: A Disk that last forever?

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    It's not everything that you will want to backup online...once it's online, it's never private again..
    how can that be??

    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

  16. #16
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: A Disk that last forever?

    Quote Originally Posted by bonrya View Post
    how can that be??
    Because, it will always be residing on someone's else server/computer/backups etc
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  17. #17
    Senior Member bonrya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a mobile cage
    Posts
    2,633

    Default Re: A Disk that last forever?

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    Because, it will always be residing on someone's else server/computer/backups etc
    lucky there's nothing to know about me. heh.
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    628

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bonrya

    lucky there's nothing to know about me. heh.
    It's your work mind you ~.~

  19. #19
    Senior Member bonrya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a mobile cage
    Posts
    2,633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seezhijie

    It's your work mind you ~.~
    What work? Do you know what I'm backing up online? *__*
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

  20. #20

    Default Re: A Disk that last forever?

    Where to buy? Can use right away with current DVD burners?
    I have a near-mint Olympus E-620 Underwater Case for Sale. PM me for a great deal!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •