Thread: Photography service contracts

Default Photography service contracts

Are there any masters here who are willing to share what their contract looks like? What to include and what is too outrageous to. Also, any logos or emblems? I know there are numerous templates in the Internet, but I wanna see what the masters here have. Thanks~

Default Re: Photography service contracts

i don think any master would want to share, since they had to pay their lawyers for drafting out one
    and there is not one size fit all contract
    it can be as simple as 1 page or 7-8pages

Blog Entries

TS, maybe you can share yours and we can tell you what works and what does not?

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    TS, maybe you can share yours and we can tell you what works and what does not?
    I don't have one but I intend to write one. Does it has to be approved by a lawyer? I've seen various templates online

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by seezhijie View Post
    I don't have one but I intend to write one. Does it has to be approved by a lawyer? I've seen various templates online
    It doesn't have to be. But if someone found a loophole or an omission and exploited it, you will hit yourself against the wall.

BTW, you do need to be a legal business entity to go into any kind of business contract agreement. Which means you need to register your business with ACRA. You may be part time, or even do one job every two months. As long as you invoice someone for any kind of work and get paid for it, you need to be doing it in the context of a registered business. Unless of course you are a hawker, taxi driver, lawyer, accountant, doctor, sampan driver... etc..

So if you signed a contract with a company as a company that does not exist (not registered) or as an individual, to provide photography services. If that company do not pay you, you will run into trouble making a legal claim against that company.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 16th August 2011 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    It doesn't have to be. But if someone found a loophole or an omission and exploited it, you will hit yourself against the wall.

BTW, you do need to be a legal business entity to go into any kind of business contract agreement. Which means you need to register your business with ACRA. You may be part time, or even do one job every two months. As long as you invoice someone for any kind of work and get paid for it, you need to be doing it in the context of a registered business. Unless of course you are a hawker, taxi driver, lawyer, accountant, doctor, sampan driver... etc..

So if you signed a contract with a company as a company that does not exist (not registered) or as an individual, to provide photography services. If that company do not pay you, you will run into trouble making a legal claim against that company.
    so everytime i get a client to sign a contract, i have to register it with ACRA? or do i only have to register it every time a new contract is written or edited?
    and how is the process like? troublesome or just online form submit and wait for results?

I am comfortable with reading and understanding law having done so regularly for more than ten years in my other job so I thought I could draft my own contract by modifying some existing contracts I downloaded. I spend a few weeks, actually months, reading statues, acts, tweaking my contract. It was a lot of time and effort. WRONG WRONG DEAD WRONG. The time spent should be on resting and shooting and earning more.

Recently I finally let a real lawyer reviewed my contract and it had to be rewritten almost totally. The lawyer could tell and explain to me what was wrong here and there and everywhere, what doesn't apply, what is unfair, what looks bad to the judge, how to properly protect and manage situations based on my business model and based on what I want to do in certain situations (everyone is different and conducts their businesses differently), what is better managed using soft approach (negotiation) than using hard approach (like an contract), kill all the unnecessary words, reword all the dangerous words that had confusing or secondary meanings.

There is no one size fits all contract.

I see photogrs charging $600 per wedding but using a ($6000) D3 body with a ($3000) D700 second body and I go "What the fark?" "Does that make business sense?" That D3 instead of impress, kinda amuses rather.

Many photographers have no qualms about dumping savings or hard earned or parents' or debt money into the latest pro spec-ed camera or lens but will try to skim on legal protection.

Many photographers will advise people to hire a real photographer instead of uncle bob for something as important as a wedding but will themselves try to DIY or uncle bob their own contracts.

I mean, come on man, lawyers went thru more training and studying to be lawyers than photographers do to be photographers and they are a way better regulated profession. They are expensive but they are worth every single cent and perhaps more.
    Last edited by sjackal; 17th August 2011 at 08:02 AM.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

Quote Originally Posted by sjackal
    I am comfortable with reading and understanding law having done so regularly for more than ten years in my other job so I thought I could draft my own contract by modifying some existing contracts I downloaded. I spend a few weeks, actually months, reading statues, acts, tweaking my contract. It was a lot of time and effort. WRONG WRONG DEAD WRONG. The time spent should be on resting and shooting and earning more.

Recently I finally let a real lawyer reviewed my contract and it had to be rewritten almost totally. The lawyer could tell and explain to me what was wrong here and there and everywhere, what doesn't apply, what is unfair, what looks bad to the judge, how to properly protect and manage situations based on my business model and based on what I want to do in certain situations (everyone is different and conducts their businesses differently), what is better managed using soft approach (negotiation) than using hard approach (like an contract), kill all the unnecessary words, reword all the dangerous words that had confusing or secondary meanings.

There is no one size fits all contract.

I see photogrs charging $600 per wedding but using a ($6000) D3 body with a ($3000) D700 second body and I go "What the fark?" "Does that make business sense?" That D3 instead of impress, kinda amuses rather.

Many photographers have no qualms about dumping savings or hard earned or parents' or debt money into the latest pro spec-ed camera or lens but will try to skim on legal protection.

Many photographers will advise people to hire a real photographer instead of uncle bob for something as important as a wedding but will themselves try to DIY or uncle bob their own contracts.

I mean, come on man, lawyers went thru more training and studying to be lawyers than photographers do to be photographers and they are a way better regulated profession. They are expensive but they are worth every single cent and perhaps more.
    Alright thanks for the help =D

One word about contract, it can be worded so complicated that no one understand and there isn't enough means to cover every aspect of the law.

My suggestion is to keep it relax and use it as a reminder more than a rigid rules... however, this is depend on what type of business you are in.

Best way to reduce tension is always communication. the more you communicate with your clients, the less chance there is misunderstanding hence reduce one's risk in offering their service.

Legal contract while it is great, sometimes, it could be a double edge swords and convince the judge that you really understand the law and if you make mistake, that's the end of it... so it is really up to you want to include or omit in your contract. Just be a little flexible and approachable...

I hope it make sense.

Regards,

Hart

Quote Originally Posted by Agetan
    One word about contract, it can be worded so complicated that no one understand and there isn't enough means to cover every aspect of the law.

My suggestion is to keep it relax and use it as a reminder more than a rigid rules... however, this is depend on what type of business you are in.

Best way to reduce tension is always communication. the more you communicate with your clients, the less chance there is misunderstanding hence reduce one's risk in offering their service.

Legal contract while it is great, sometimes, it could be a double edge swords and convince the judge that you really understand the law and if you make mistake, that's the end of it... so it is really up to you want to include or omit in your contract. Just be a little flexible and approachable...

I hope it make sense.

Regards,

Hart
    That's for sure. I just don't like doing things without a guarantee. If the soft approach can't work, there are always hard alternatives

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by seezhijie View Post
    so everytime i get a client to sign a contract, i have to register it with ACRA? or do i only have to register it every time a new contract is written or edited?
    and how is the process like? troublesome or just online form submit and wait for results?
    You need to register one time as a business. But you need to maintain records of all your transactions and at the beginning of each year, report the Net income of the last year in the previous year. Depending on how much you made, you may need to pay taxes. You also need to pay for your personal medisave. It starts with $1800 for the first year (upon registering a business), and the amount will be reevaluated the following year according to your net income.

You can find more information here:
    http://www.acra.gov.sg/Guide+for+Sin...+Residents.htm

I remember you are still schooling. Please note you need to be 18 years old or above to start a business. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123

You need to register one time as a business. But you need to maintain records of all your transactions and at the beginning of each year, report the Net income of the last year in the previous year. Depending on how much you made, you may need to pay taxes. You also need to pay for your personal medisave. It starts with $1800 for the first year (upon registering a business), and the amount will be reevaluated the following year according to your net income.

You can find more information here:
    http://www.acra.gov.sg/Guide+for+Sin...+Residents.htm

I remember you are still schooling. Please note you need to be 18 years old or above to start a business. Good luck.
    Wow that's quite a bit. Contracts really aren't as simple. Thanks for the help