Thread: We're lovers not fighters - Gay contribution to the Liberation

Default We're lovers not fighters - Gay contribution to the Liberation

A little something to lighten your day.

Now this is a weird one. I found this shot at The Bund in Shanghai. There was a stone mural depicting the history of Shanghai. Oddly somewhere along the story, during the liberation. There was a bunch of guys cooing each other in full battle order. WHY? They had after sex expressions, rather then your usual liberation heros with stern and hard faces. I don't think I will ever be able to figure this one out.

We're lovers not fighters

They look like dead soldiers to me.

Haahaa. I don't remember buddies cooing to each other in the middle of the Brunei jungle. Maybe the effects brotherly love is enhanced when real bullets are flying?

They could be dead. But the positioning of the bodies seem to point more towards sleeping.

don't think they are dead..look at the way they hold their rifles...hmm..maybe they are sad? They look sad to me...

how do you interpret this then??

hmmmm....big stick??

Quote Originally Posted by Stereobox
    how do you interpret this then??

hmmmm....big stick??
    oh dear....

Haahaa. The two fellas on the left and right appear to staring in great intrest.

Quote Originally Posted by bernardsia
    Haahaa. I don't remember buddies cooing to each other in the middle of the Brunei jungle. Maybe the effects brotherly love is enhanced when real bullets are flying?

They could be dead. But the positioning of the bodies seem to point more towards sleeping.
    bro, its hot n humid in brunei jungle how to coo to each other?

the way i interpret this under harsh weather conditions, esp winter in china when temp can drop way way below freezing.. those soldiers stick closer to one another... u notice they're all fully dressed with rifle in their hands... some of them are napping so perhaps they're in a bunker or hole waiting for the next attack..

A little something to lighten your day.

Now this is a weird one. I found this shot at The Bund in Shanghai. There was a stone mural depicting the history of Shanghai. Oddly somewhere along the story, during the liberation. There was a bunch of guys cooing each other in full battle order. WHY? They had after sex expressions, rather then your usual liberation heros with stern and hard faces. I don't think I will ever be able to figure this one out.

We're lovers not fighters
    Think you are reading too much into it. A bunch of soldiers resting and sleeping or trying to keep warm, and you see after-sex expressions? Really can't see why you would want to put this type of spin on this.....

Because that is what I saw before I shot the picture and it's still what I see after I shot the picture. Simple, no spin to it.

I forgot. This is the abstracts section. The other sections should be more straight forward.

I doubt its gay though it seems like. Then again, it might have been the sculptor who wanted us to think its gay...

Because that is what I saw before I shot the picture and it's still what I see after I shot the picture. Simple, no spin to it.

I forgot. This is the abstracts section. The other sections should be more straight forward.
    As long as you make clear that it is merely your interpretation, and not representing the sculptor's intentions, that's fine. It was not clear from your title nor from the bold text "lovers...." that that was the case, and to the casual observer, may in fact have seemed that you were out to titillate. I hope that was not your intention. Abstract or not, I see a bunch of soldiers resting, no gay or 'lovers' theme as far as I can make it.

dkw,

If you read all the replies on the thread. Nobody has really reached a concensus on the picture. If you see resting soldiers, fine, they are resting soldiers. I respect what you take away from the picture. That is the point of posting this picture in the first place.

Again, I emphasize this is abstract. If everybody see the same thing. It won't be an abstract shot. I don't need to justify to you what I see. You don't have to either, voicing your point of view is enough. Some see dead, others see cold, you see sleeping. Eventually somebody might hit the nail on the head, it could just fade away and nobody really knows in the end.

Just like Stereobox's 'Big Stick'. What do you see?

You are mistaken in your definition of 'abstract'. Something that is defined in form can also be interpreted in various ways. There are always various interpretations to any given thing. And in that, you are free to interpret this as you want.

Quote Originally Posted by acroamatic
    You are mistaken in your definition of 'abstract'. Something that is defined in form can also be interpreted in various ways. There are always various interpretations to any given thing. And in that, you are free to interpret this as you want.
    I am perfectly agreeable with your point.

sorry your title and abstract art didn't work for me. to what i see, it might even offend some families whose fathers, brothers & sons had sacfriced in the fight, which was depicted in this sculpture. this is sensitive stuff man. just be careful of throwing such dark humour....

Thanks mecuryblue, point noted. I must admit I make no such considerations when creating my pictures. I have some 'worse' ones with religious themes and titled just as bad if not worse. If I were to sit down and think about how not to offend all the various types of people, because of the pictures I want. I will probably give up what I do and just do snapshots of my pets. (I mean it in a non-offending way.)