Thread: Regarding the Picture style options in cameras..

Default Regarding the Picture style options in cameras..

hi guys.. im aware there are many kinds of picture style we can choose from from the camera itself. Either in the color/contrast settings or in the setup options..

Hmm my question is.. Do you guys just set it to standard most of the time? or switch it as and when depending on what you shooting.. Perhaps switching it to portraits when you taking portraits or to landscape when you taking landscape or vivid when taking flowers or etc etc..

Does it makes any big different? If i want my picture to look most original and natural.. isit advisable to just keep it at standard?

Default Re: Regarding the Picture style options in cameras..

I normally have 2 custom settings -- one where I bump up saturation (good for bold colours and overcast days), and one with less saturation (generally for people shots).

IMHO most DSLRs default settings are a little dull (leaves you some room to maneuver in post-processing, if you're shooting straight JPGs). I'd advise you to go take the same subject with different settings and decide what you like, then make your own custom settings.

Default Re: Regarding the Picture style options in cameras..

Quote Originally Posted by TWmilkteaTW View Post
    or switch it as and when depending on what you shooting.. [...]
    If i want my picture to look most original and natural.. isit advisable to just keep it at standard?
    You got the key point and your own answer.
    Picture Styles are a tool, an option you can chose or not. It all depends whether the tool and it effects are useful to you in that particular situation or not. There is no hard and fast rule. You can easily mimic them with the in-camera settings for Saturation, Sharpness and the other colour parameters. You can even download or create your own ones.
    As mentioned: use when you need, shoot with different styles to see what works best. If you shoot RAW the Picture Styles become redundant, but can still serve as guideline.
    No cook uses the big chopping knife for all situations, right?
    Last edited by Octarine; 12th August 2011 at 11:42 PM.
    EOS