Thread: Is Fujifilm Astia a good film for landscape?

Default Is Fujifilm Astia a good film for landscape?

Tot of bring this to my EBC trip tmw, alongside E100VS

All I know is Astia is designed for people skin tone. Ie. excel in people shot.

Yeah. Astia is great for portrait as it's not like most fuji films that are skewed towards green, it is more warm, a bit like Kodak 100VS but not so punchy.

be careful when you shoot someone that's very tan/dark as it may turns out "chao ta"!!

For landscape, i would suggest bringing Velvia 50 or 100 if you shooting slide since you already have VS. If you shooting Film Fuji 100 (for landscape) and Reala (for people) are good choices.

Hopes it helps.

Deregistered

If you're looking at slides, I find ektachrome 100VS good and rich, not too bad for landscape/scenary. For Astia, I find that it's more suitable for portraits, the skin tone and colours come out good

I prefer using Velvia for landscape but I've tried using Astia for it.

Others:
    http://www.chiochiophoto.com/Humding...ves/005-01.jpg
    http://www.chiochiophoto.com/Humding...ves/006-03.jpg

Cheers!

Not shot Astia before, but read somewhere that astia is the pro version of sensia. Now i've shot quite a bit of sensia Its really good for people, neutral tones. But not punchy enough for me.

Would suggest you go for Velvia 50. Or provia. I still can't get the hang of provia, a bit too blue for my taste. Next time I try provia, will be shooting with a 81A up front, see if it improves the blue tone.

Alvin

Quote Originally Posted by Diablo
    Tot of bring this to my EBC trip tmw, alongside E100VS
    Everest Base Camp? You will be getting a lot of blues in the sky and ice, E100VS is good for saturated and warm red/yellow tones but the grain can't compare with Astia or Velvia. Astia should do well if you don't fancy the high contrast of velvia 50 and it doesn't seem to favour any colour.

Think you should just bring along a mix and pop the appropriate roll in depending on scenery.

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    If you're looking at slides, I find ektachrome 100VS good and rich, not too bad for landscape/scenary. For Astia, I find that it's more suitable for portraits, the skin tone and colours come out good
    Yes...im an avid user of E100VS

I took Astia to shoot some village life..and probably trying out some landscape

I jsut got hold of Velvia100 (non-F) from Japan, and will test it out too

I did a shoot with astia 100F last weekend. It is very good at handling high contrast scenes, but when the lighting is not optimal, it is very flat. If you shoot astia on a dull day you may as well throw away the slides. It's very accurate at colours, and it's a low contrast emulsion. I'd probably only use it for portraits.

For general shooting I get the cheaper Kodak EBX which is between $6.5-$7 at cathay / ruby. For practical purposes it is the same as E100VS. I see no difference. It does wonders with landscapes. Yes, velvia is nice, but expensive.