Thread: Bone Marrow Transplant urgently needed! please help my friend!

Default Bone Marrow Transplant urgently needed! please help my friend!

Hi Mods and all of you in ClubSNAP.

Hi Mods, if this is against the rules please remove this...

this isn't a fake event.

i have a friend whose brother is suffering from Leukemia and needs a Bone Marrow Transplant urgently. time is short. please pass the message and attend the event if you can! all help is welcome. by the Grace of God, there will be a match!

and even if you aren't a match, i hope that you can help another person who's in need of a transplant too.

below is the link to the facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?ei...f_t=event_wall

Thanks very much,
    kei

Default Re: Bone Marrow Transplant urgently needed! please help my friend!

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    Hi Mods and all of you in ClubSNAP.

Hi Mods, if this is against the rules please remove this...

this isn't a fake event.

i have a friend whose brother is suffering from Leukemia and needs a Bone Marrow Transplant urgently. time is short. please pass the message and attend the event if you can! all help is welcome. by the Grace of God, there will be a match!

and even if you aren't a match, i hope that you can help another person who's in need of a transplant too.

below is the link to the facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?ei...f_t=event_wall

Thanks very much,
    kei
    Just wonder if donating bone marrow will affect anything? if not i can try too
    If the photo i took is 1% unclear, I will rather delete .. www.flickr.com/photos/59837685@N03/

Quote Originally Posted by canonmono View Post
    Just wonder if donating bone marrow will affect anything? if not i can try too
    nope. it's easy and won't affect you.

Most important: What blood type? That's key...
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Most important: What blood type? That's key...
    my friend said that for bone marrow transplant blood-type isn't important.

Hi,

According to this link blood type is important in preliminary tests. I have quoted the relevant sections below.

2. Preliminary Blood and Tissue Compatibility

The first step is to determine your blood type and tissue type. Testing is done by drawing a blood sample. If you are a donor volunteer, these tests are part of the registration process. You may have to pay for the testing, which ranges from $50 to $100. The results are input into the marrow registry and used to make a preliminary match with compatible recipients.

Blood Type. The first test determines your blood type. There are four blood types designated by the presence or absence of two antigens—the A antigen and the B antigen. Blood type A means you have the A antigen. Type B means you have the B antigen. Type AB means you have both antigens. Type O means you have neither antigen.

You must have a blood type compatible with the recipient or you will not be able to donate. Here is who can donate to whom:

Type A can donate to types A and AB.

Type B can donate to types B and AB.

Type AB can donate to type AB.

Type O can donate to types A, B, AB, and O.

Tissue Type. The second test run on the blood sample identifies your human leukocyte antigens (HLA). There are many different kinds of antigens, but there are three categories assessed for marrow donation, designated HLA-A, HLA-B, and HLA-DRB1. You inherit one set of these three antigens from each parent giving you a total of six HLAs.

A similar test is run on a blood sample from the recipient, and the antigens are compared. You might hear of a "six-of-six" match (all donor and recipient antigens match), or a "half match" (three of the six antigens are the same), or a "zero match" (none of the antigens matches). In the case of bone marrow donation, tissue typing is critical, so a perfect "six-of-six" match is required.

3. Detailed Blood and Tissue Compatibility

Once a potential recipient has been matched on a preliminary basis, more detailed compatibility testing is done. Again, a blood sample is drawn from you and tested.

DNA Testing. One test that's done is DNA testing. This testing is similar to the HLA testing but is more detailed. It uses sophisticated laboratory tests to determine the DNA of your antigens and compares the DNA code to those of the recipient.

Crossmatching. Crossmatching is a further testing of antigen compatibility. In this test, white blood cells from you are mixed with blood from the recipient. If the white blood cells are attacked and die, then the crossmatch is "positive," which is a negative as far as your ability to donate. It means the recipient is "sensitized" to you—the recipient has antibodies to some of your antigens—so the recipient's immune system would turn on the donated marrow and destroy it. If the crossmatch is negative, you are compatible with the recipient.

Note: The blood and tissue typing is rigorous because compatibility between the donor and recipient is essential to a successful transplant. As a consequence, many potential donors are ruled out. The odds of two individuals matching range from 1 in 20,000 to 1 in 50,000 depending on such factors as ethnic background. This is the primary reason why unrelated donation is so important.
    I also know that blood type is important as a friend also needed a transplant 3 years ago, and 90% of the people whom tried to help were rejected because of wrong blood type.

He survived. So I hope and pray your friend finds a suitable donor.

Cheers ....
    40D|BG-E2N|24-105L F4.0 IS USM |70-200L F2.8 IS USM

i think what my friend aims to do is not only to help his own brother, but others who have the same condition. helping his own kin is important, but so is raising the awareness and people who can help.

TIA