Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Timeshare Scam!! Anyone of you in it too?

I jus recieved a call from A*C Travel.. but i think its also a time sharing base...

Agent: Hi Can i speak to Ruth?
    Ruth: Err Ya?
    AGent: Im calling from A*C Travel.. Congrats.. U have jus won yrself a Camera... and 7 Days to Gold Coast...
    Ruth: hmm.. Really? ok..
    Agent: U wanna come down to collect yr prizes?
    Ruth: No.. Not interested...
    Agent: Why? Its free....
    Ruth: Im a photographer.. and unless u r giving high end cameras... LOL
    and Gold Coast? Do i need that? My Coy allows me to fly all over with free accomodations.. (Clubsnap advice on previous thread)..
    Agent: But arent u tempted?
    Ruth: What camera u giving? Compact Film or P&S Digital?
    Agent: Compact film...
    Ruth: Really not interested.. Cant fetch me much if i wanna sell away...
    Agent.. Okie.. Thank You... Have a nice Day
    Ruth: No Worries... Good Luck

Hahahaha~
    Luckily Clubsnap has a thread on the time sharing thingy...

vince123123
    Guests

Its actually a new legislation called the Consumer Protection (Fair Trading) Act.

Quote Originally Posted by zha
    This is an interesting point. A move in the right direction for consumers. Was the Trade Practice Act amended/ updated or something like that?

Reminds me, also got a call last week, some indian guy saying i have won a holiday and such.. I asked where he got my number from and he just mumbled from his management.. i then pressed him, WHERE did his management get my number? He still mumbled something which I didn't catch.. then i told him, not interested, and don't ever call me back

i suspect those lucky draws we enter right?
    those infos are sold to all these coy!

there is this Consumer's Act now, and its supposed to protect ppl from such situations, however since siron encountered this in 2000(or was it 2002).. im nt exactly sure if its of any use now.. but if it is den siron can definitely fight it out in court wid the company since he wasnt (100% at least) willing to sign the contract n abide by its terms. but i thnk chances of siron getting back full compensation isnt high..but fight it man..

juz my 2c~

Quote Originally Posted by Picard
    ...and sat thru the whole DAMN presentation , got the discount vouchers and got the HELL out of the place man.

Yah...my wife and I have been thru twice of the same nonsense about a few years back. BAck then they gave pretty good gifts e.g. $50 TANGS vouchers and stuff. But...it was not easy getting it man. We sat thru almost 3.5 hours of watching video about some beach area etc...and then a verbal hardsell by a sales assistant and then when he/she know that he/she could not outwit 2 university grads she then called for reinforcements in the form of 'her boss' - once was a sleek fast talker and another was a burly dark and tall chap.

Thru it all we just kept saying 'No'. 'We'll think about it" etc....but it was not easy. WHen we got the voucher we quickly used them.

Whew...

Be warned.
    almost the same as me. but mine only 90 minutes talk. $40 TANGS voucher and some holiday. after 90 minutes, stop the sales person and just went to collect the gifts. most probably we look too poor for him to even bother to call his manager and carry on the hard sell.

end up use the $40 voucher and throw away the "holiday"

what if someone sign the contract, but the signature is fake one?
    as in, it's not a regular signature. just a new one that's made up on the spot

Deregistered

zod, probably there's even a chance of countersueing from leading the company on...

Quote Originally Posted by SimonGoh
    Hi Siron,

I've also been 'so called' conned by ERI. I was just being greedy and thought that I could eventually sell it off for higher gains in the future, or sell cheap holiday packages to friends. I'm the type of person who loves budget travels but dont go for such exotic resorts to stay put for a week. I never thought that it would incur heavy financial problems for me now that I'm facing it. The contract started in August 2000 and I have already paid about S$16k using credit with about less than S$3k to go. This put tremendous pressure on my credit card debts as well as my family. What's more agonising is the maintenance fee of A$495 (current rates) that I have to fork out annually 'forever' for joining HCAP thru ERI. I could have consulted my sister who knew much better about time-share schemes but but the unfortunate happened.

Recently ERI did another recruitment exercise to ask me to convert my contract to another new one in which I dont have to pay maintenance fees. In fact the new plan promises returns should I not use the one week allocated to me. The twist to this plan is this: after trade-in I have to fork out another S$12k. Besides, this new plan is new and evolving, not like the earlier HCAP one which already have high quality resorts in Australia & Thailand. I have yet to agree to this new plan.

Feel free to contact me if you wish. My contact 90600699.

regards,
    Simon
    Don't fall for it!!! you will be deeper!!!! Alot of pple already fallen for the 2nd part!! Ya paid so much already!! Gosh!! Right now I am still ignoring!! Really dun wanna waste all my hard earned money on this sh*t man!! I really wanna seek lawyers advise man!! If I were to meet are ya intersted to join me?

Quote Originally Posted by siron
    Don't fall for it!!! you will be deeper!!!! Alot of pple already fallen for the 2nd part!! Ya paid so much already!! Gosh!! Right now I am still ignoring!! Really dun wanna waste all my hard earned money on this sh*t man!! I really wanna seek lawyers advise man!! If I were to meet are ya intersted to join me?
    Sue those time-sharing bast*rd!!!

Quote Originally Posted by siron
    Don't fall for it!!! you will be deeper!!!! Alot of pple already fallen for the 2nd part!! Ya paid so much already!! ....

I really wanna seek lawyers advise man!! If I were to meet are ya intersted to join me?

Siron, can u elaborate on the part about "a lot of ppl fallen for the 2nd part"? Do u mean after sinking in another $12k & converting to the "new" plan, those ppl still found themselves on the losing end?
    I also had bad experience with ERI & wish to know more.
    Last edited by isis; 7th October 2004 at 12:32 AM.

I seriously doubt these people got our numbers from any lucky draw thingy, in which we had so-called "implicitly granted them permission to contact us to claim the prize which we had signed up for."

I for one, can be such a hermit and pessimist that I have not entered into ANY lucky draw or contest whatsoever in no less than 5 years. Basically too lazy to fill up any form since I never thought I would be lucky enough to win anything.
    While I have nothing to do with CASE, suffice it to say in my line of work, I do come across numerous such complains of hard selling tactics that begins with the temptation of a free gift.

So one fine day about a year ago, I myself received a call from one so and so company (can't remember the name anymore), with the usual congratulatory speech and prize I've won and asking when I wanted to collect the prize. Knowing that it was a scam, and also knowing very well that I did not partake in ANY contest, never filled in ANY entry forms, I questioned the caller exactly which contest I took part to win the prize. He replied saying "remember those times you filled in those lucky draw entries blah blah blah", to which I bluntly replied I never did. He was stumped and subsequently claimed that the company he is representing is contracted by the lucky draw contest organiser to contact the winners and that he does not know the exact details.

By making us feel that we ourselves actually did actively do something (ie. fill in those contest forms) to earn the prize, and by leading us on to deceive ourselves into thinking that we are somehow the ONLY lucky, special, one and only in the universe to have won this once-in-a-lifetime exclusive only-made-for-special-ME prize, we are no longer simply tempted to claim it. In fact, we feel obligated and even a certain pride in claiming the prize that only 'I' could have won.

To Siron, I can only say that you have fallen once for their mind tricks and their tactic of exploiting human frailties of temptation, greed and inferiority, and even a natural desire to please and not to disappoint the 'helpful salesperson who spent so many hours painstakingly explaining his product to you' The least you can do is help him out and buy his product right? WRONG. It is such natural human reaction to reciprocate that these hardsellers are specifically exploiting.

Now this company is targeting another one of our human weaknesses, that of instilling fear and a sense of loss and uncertainty. By sending out these lawyer letters, these companies are now harping on your fears to make you 'willingly' fork out your hard earned money to them. Where they had once achieved 2 years ago by exploiting your desires, they are trying to do the same again with threat to induce the fear of reprisal.

Suddenly the nightmare that started 2 years ago is back to haunt you again. You do not know what will happen if you were really brought to court for breach of contract and you start to fear it affecting your job or even causing you to lose your job. All this because of what you did wrong by not fulfilling the terms of the contract which you never really agreed to willingly? WRONG! It is their tactic to do a wrong to you and yet turn around and make it look like they are the ones who were wronged. Don't fall for their psychological tricks again!

Do you think that the nightmare will end simply by paying up obediently? They will merely tempt you with what is rightly yours (ie.The benefit of not having to pay annual maintenance fees. Hell, you never had to pay maintenance fees if you did not sign up in the first place!), on the condition that you fork out another 12K?? How can one contemplate paying that astronomical sum of money for a right that is yours to begin with? Ask yourself what have you gained from 'selling off' that right in the first place, and then again ask yourself is it worth to 'buy it back' with yet another 12k??

The least you can do now is to stand up to them and show them you're not a mindless weakling. Why were there no legal action against you when they sent you the lawyer letter in 2003? Why wait another year before sending another lawyer letter in 2004? As far as you are concerned, you have not been formally sued in court. No matter how many letters you receive are only empty threats. For all you know, these lawyer letters are really to them, 'subscription reminders'.

Anyway take heart and good luck! What you lost cannot be recovered, but don't be victimised any further in both monetary and psychological terms. Finally I apologise for any harsh words that I may have said above, but really don't want to see more people fall prey to these necessary evils of capitalism that abuse psychological knowledge for unethical economic gain.

Greed, Fear & Symphathy are the 3 main weakness of most ppl. And many con-artists use these tricks (any1 or all 3 of them) to con.
    siron, I feel sorry to hear your story and feel helpless of not able to help.

Deregistered

i remember reading something similar in the New Paper, where repo men actually sent out letters that had some basic legal jargon, to scare the people who are facing repo, to pay up.

Don't believe in everything you read or see.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Starguardian
    I seriously doubt these people got our numbers from any lucky draw thingy, in which we had so-called "implicitly granted them permission to contact us to claim the prize which we had signed up for."

I for one, can be such a hermit and pessimist that I have not entered into ANY lucky draw or contest whatsoever in no less than 5 years. Basically too lazy to fill up any form since I never thought I would be lucky enough to win anything.
    While I have nothing to do with CASE, suffice it to say in my line of work, I do come across numerous such complains of hard selling tactics that begins with the temptation of a free gift.

So one fine day about a year ago, I myself received a call from one so and so company (can't remember the name anymore), with the usual congratulatory speech and prize I've won and asking when I wanted to collect the prize. Knowing that it was a scam, and also knowing very well that I did not partake in ANY contest, never filled in ANY entry forms, I questioned the caller exactly which contest I took part to win the prize. He replied saying "remember those times you filled in those lucky draw entries blah blah blah", to which I bluntly replied I never did. He was stumped and subsequently claimed that the company he is representing is contracted by the lucky draw contest organiser to contact the winners and that he does not know the exact details.

By making us feel that we ourselves actually did actively do something (ie. fill in those contest forms) to earn the prize, and by leading us on to deceive ourselves into thinking that we are somehow the ONLY lucky, special, one and only in the universe to have won this once-in-a-lifetime exclusive only-made-for-special-ME prize, we are no longer simply tempted to claim it. In fact, we feel obligated and even a certain pride in claiming the prize that only 'I' could have won.

To Siron, I can only say that you have fallen once for their mind tricks and their tactic of exploiting human frailties of temptation, greed and inferiority, and even a natural desire to please and not to disappoint the 'helpful salesperson who spent so many hours painstakingly explaining his product to you' The least you can do is help him out and buy his product right? WRONG. It is such natural human reaction to reciprocate that these hardsellers are specifically exploiting.

Now this company is targeting another one of our human weaknesses, that of instilling fear and a sense of loss and uncertainty. By sending out these lawyer letters, these companies are now harping on your fears to make you 'willingly' fork out your hard earned money to them. Where they had once achieved 2 years ago by exploiting your desires, they are trying to do the same again with threat to induce the fear of reprisal.

Suddenly the nightmare that started 2 years ago is back to haunt you again. You do not know what will happen if you were really brought to court for breach of contract and you start to fear it affecting your job or even causing you to lose your job. All this because of what you did wrong by not fulfilling the terms of the contract which you never really agreed to willingly? WRONG! It is their tactic to do a wrong to you and yet turn around and make it look like they are the ones who were wronged. Don't fall for their psychological tricks again!

Do you think that the nightmare will end simply by paying up obediently? They will merely tempt you with what is rightly yours (ie.The benefit of not having to pay annual maintenance fees. Hell, you never had to pay maintenance fees if you did not sign up in the first place!), on the condition that you fork out another 12K?? How can one contemplate paying that astronomical sum of money for a right that is yours to begin with? Ask yourself what have you gained from 'selling off' that right in the first place, and then again ask yourself is it worth to 'buy it back' with yet another 12k??

The least you can do now is to stand up to them and show them you're not a mindless weakling. Why were there no legal action against you when they sent you the lawyer letter in 2003? Why wait another year before sending another lawyer letter in 2004? As far as you are concerned, you have not been formally sued in court. No matter how many letters you receive are only empty threats. For all you know, these lawyer letters are really to them, 'subscription reminders'.

Anyway take heart and good luck! What you lost cannot be recovered, but don't be victimised any further in both monetary and psychological terms. Finally I apologise for any harsh words that I may have said above, but really don't want to see more people fall prey to these necessary evils of capitalism that abuse psychological knowledge for unethical economic gain.

Thank you for your advise to me, I really appreciate you for that, no worries abt the harsh words and all, cuz I myself know that I was a fool filled with uncertainty and greed, I guess we can only learn from the wrongs that I had made, but for now I intend not to do anything too, but at the same time I wanna seek some legal advises too.

I really hate these time share companies!! BIG time!!

What Zaren said.

Did you read the contract before you sign it?
    If you'd signed it and agreed, you actually agreed to the so called "scam". How'll that look in court?

Quote Originally Posted by RuthBaby
    I jus recieved a call from A*C Travel.. but i think its also a time sharing base...

Agent: Hi Can i speak to Ruth?
    Ruth: Err Ya?
    AGent: Im calling from A*C Travel.. Congrats.. U have jus won yrself a Camera... and 7 Days to Gold Coast...
    Ruth: hmm.. Really? ok..
    Agent: U wanna come down to collect yr prizes?
    Ruth: No.. Not interested...
    Agent: Why? Its free....
    Ruth: Im a photographer.. and unless u r giving high end cameras... LOL
    and Gold Coast? Do i need that? My Coy allows me to fly all over with free accomodations.. (Clubsnap advice on previous thread)..
    Agent: But arent u tempted?
    Ruth: What camera u giving? Compact Film or P&S Digital?
    Agent: Compact film...
    Ruth: Really not interested.. Cant fetch me much if i wanna sell away...
    Agent.. Okie.. Thank You... Have a nice Day
    Ruth: No Worries... Good Luck

Hahahaha~
    Luckily Clubsnap has a thread on the time sharing thingy...
    Whoa! Power man. Sounds like your com gets you to where you want at the drop of the hat! Very superstar-ish lifestyle you're leading!!!

Why isn't CASE doing anything to ban time share companies in S'pore?

Quote Originally Posted by isis
    Why isn't CASE doing anything to ban time share companies in S'pore?

Thats the question alot of people is asking, I guess is that these companies are very well protected by the laws, all the loophole covered so well.

Hmmmm.....

http://www.crimeshare.net/list.html

Found this on the net. Not sure of its authenticity, but just thot it may be useful.

Also, I was told that CASE can't shut them down coz the timeshare resorts are located outside of Singapore (ie. outside of CASE's jurisdiction). I'm not sure if this is true. Anyone able to share any insights on this??
    Last edited by isis; 17th April 2005 at 01:13 AM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast