Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38

Thread: Revenue generating Hobby

  1. #21

    Default Re: Revenue generating Hobby

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    If it's just a sideline, you should not distract yourself from your mainline.

    In which case, you should shoot to enjoy, and pick up whatever revenue that comes along.
    yup, thats what i am aiming to do
    D90|10-24mm f3.5-4.5G|70-300mm VR f/4.5-5.6G|18-105mm VR f/3.5-5.6G|35mm f/1.8|SB700|MB-D80

  2. #22

    Default Re: Revenue generating Hobby

    Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    ohh not offended, i am just telling TS to look at the photos on that website and those categories, as examples only. so he will have a rough idea.
    U know why i open this thread, because, there is a colleague at my workplace (not a photographer; at least from the pictures that he took) who actually started a website to try to sell his pics and services, and i can tell you, if you were to look at the pictures that he posted, you will either be disgusted or laughing at the quality and finally amazed at where he actually got the courage to try to do this thing.

    Therefore i was thinking to myself, if that kind of pictures can be used to generate revenue, then a lot of people who are better can do it too.
    D90|10-24mm f3.5-4.5G|70-300mm VR f/4.5-5.6G|18-105mm VR f/3.5-5.6G|35mm f/1.8|SB700|MB-D80

  3. #23

    Default Re: Revenue generating Hobby

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    stock shooters shoot what is sellable, not what they like,
    as I explain earlier, it is waste of time and energy if your images are rejected or not sellable.
    i think everyone knows that, so other than stock, do u advertise yourself in other means? since it is so difficult to do stock photography.
    D90|10-24mm f3.5-4.5G|70-300mm VR f/4.5-5.6G|18-105mm VR f/3.5-5.6G|35mm f/1.8|SB700|MB-D80

  4. #24

    Default Re: Revenue generating Hobby

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    I know a few people who wanted to do stock photography more heavily, used to shoot with them; after a while I just couldn't bear to shoot with them, everytime we were out it was not "this scene is nice, I want to capture it", it would be about "wow, this photograph got things that stock agency wants, I want to shoot it".
    i think i know what u mean there, haha, the agenda is different
    D90|10-24mm f3.5-4.5G|70-300mm VR f/4.5-5.6G|18-105mm VR f/3.5-5.6G|35mm f/1.8|SB700|MB-D80

  5. #25
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Revenue generating Hobby

    Quote Originally Posted by desertstrike View Post
    i think everyone knows that, so other than stock, do u advertise yourself in other means? since it is so difficult to do stock photography.
    not exactly, I have been seeing many people submitting their favorite images to agencies, but most of them are not what designers looking for.

    and why would stock shooters still need to advertise their stock images? ain't agencies suppose to market and sell their images for them? since agencies are taking the commission between 55%-85% from the sales of each image sold.

    anyway, non of any type of photography work is easy, if it is so easy, who still need to pay money to hire a photographer, people can always shoot on their own or ask somebody with a camera to do a free shoot for them.

    FYI, I have been shooting commission works for many years and I'm still doing it now, start shooting for stock image only this few years.
    Last edited by catchlights; 10th August 2011 at 12:39 AM.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  6. #26

    Default Re: Revenue generating Hobby

    hmm 1 thing i find it puzzling..i dont understand why so many people thinks its easy or have the thinking they can earn money from photography. hmm..

  7. #27

    Default Re: Revenue generating Hobby

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    not exactly, I have been seeing many people submitting their favorite images to agencies, but most of them are not what designers looking for.

    and why would stock shooters still need to advertise their stock images? ain't agencies suppose to market and sell their images for them? since agencies are taking the commission between 55%-85% from the sales of each image sold.

    anyway, non of any type of photography work is easy, if it is so easy, who still need to pay money to hire a photographer, people can always shoot on their own or ask somebody with a camera to do a free shoot for them.

    FYI, I have been shooting commission works for many years and I'm still doing it now, start shooting for stock image only this few years.
    oh i see, so you are full time on this now?
    D90|10-24mm f3.5-4.5G|70-300mm VR f/4.5-5.6G|18-105mm VR f/3.5-5.6G|35mm f/1.8|SB700|MB-D80

  8. #28

    Default Re: Revenue generating Hobby

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    you can find the answers to your question here, Sell your stock images

    selling stock images is very easy to start, but to see results need to be very hardworking and you should able to see results after a few years, because many stock shooters are seasoning pros and shooting it full time.
    is a model release a must for all portrait?

  9. #29
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by baggiolee

    is a model release a must for all portrait?
    For stock photography? Then yes. For non stock photography, yes and no.

  10. #30

    Default Re: Revenue generating Hobby

    I lost $ cause of a Virus named BBB, I have gained knowledge to shoot good pictures.
    If you want to earn the extra $, you will have to be really good in what you do and also work hard on your reputation.

  11. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    nowadays camera are so cheap, every XMM and XDD all have a DSLR,
    most people believe in good camera will produce good photos,
    if you want people to buy photos from, you need to let them think it is really good, else they will ask their nieces and nephews to shoot and it is free.
    if you holding a normal camera how do you convince people you can produce good photos?
    if you using an high-end camera how do you justify the spending on the gears by the earning you made?

    if you go until that extend, this is no longer a hobby and it has become a job, you decide is this what you want?
    Well said...

  12. #32
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,849

    Default Re: Revenue generating Hobby

    sorry to bring up this thread. i decided to try sell my photos to stock photography sites. So decided to share my experience here so far with them.

    Signed up with dreamstime (previously I bought photos from them before for web development and design purpose)... submitted 24 photos but only 8 got approved (approval rates of 33% for me so far...). They are particularly strict in composition skills, lightings+other techicalities, human subjects appearing on the photo (need model released even if only 1/4 face or back view shown!).

  13. #33
    Senior Member bonrya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a mobile cage
    Posts
    2,633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sinned79
    sorry to bring up this thread. i decided to try sell my photos to stock photography sites. So decided to share my experience here so far with them.

    Signed up with dreamstime (previously I bought photos from them before for web development and design purpose)... submitted 24 photos but only 8 got approved (approval rates of 33% for me so far...). They are particularly strict in composition skills, lightings+other techicalities, human subjects appearing on the photo (need model released even if only 1/4 face or back view shown!).
    Thanks for sharing!

    Only found this thread after you dug it up. Very useful information. stock photography really isn't as easy as people think esp you have to do alot of research on what sells.

    Cheers
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

  14. #34
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Revenue generating Hobby

    Thanks for sharing,
    shooting for stock images takes a few years to build a sizable portfolio, you won't able to see results in short term,
    if you do not plan to go exclusive, can sign up with a few agencies,

    and yes, you need to do your own research of what to shoot, cause not all sellable images you able to shoot, or shoot well.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  15. #35
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,849

    Default Re: Revenue generating Hobby

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    Thanks for sharing,
    shooting for stock images takes a few years to build a sizable portfolio, you won't able to see results in short term,
    if you do not plan to go exclusive, can sign up with a few agencies,

    and yes, you need to do your own research of what to shoot, cause not all sellable images you able to shoot, or shoot well.
    thanks for the advice!

  16. #36
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Revenue generating Hobby

    btw, congrats for being accepted by DT and have uploaded your first batch of images successfully.
    IIRC, DT have quota of how many images you able to upload every week, and it is tie with your approval rates,
    don't be dishearten for images being rejected, look at the brighter side, it will help you be a better photographer,
    pay attention for what are the causes of being rejected, avoid making the same mistake and you will improve your approval rate,
    rework on the images if there are re-submittable,
    keep it up, you will able to upload more images in no time.
    Last edited by catchlights; 30th August 2011 at 08:36 PM.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  17. #37
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default Re: Revenue generating Hobby

    At times, I really think that stock libraries are trend oriented/driven. If you have what they need at that moment in time, your in luck. Your photos can be technically and aesthetically sound but if its not what they are looking for.....

  18. #38
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Revenue generating Hobby

    there are many bread and butter type of images, nothing glamorous, but the demand is constant,
    of course you can study the trend, shoot what is "in", jump in the wagon at the right time.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •