Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revenue generating Hobby

Default Revenue generating Hobby

How do you think is a good and effective way to generate income with photography as a hobby?
    How do you think the pictures are good enough to generate income?
    How do you create awareness especially in the local community?
    Lets discuss!
    D90|10-24mm f3.5-4.5G|70-300mm VR f/4.5-5.6G|18-105mm VR f/3.5-5.6G|35mm f/1.8|SB700|MB-D80

Blog Entries

Default Re: Revenue generating Hobby

Quote Originally Posted by desertstrike View Post
    How do you think is a good and effective way to generate income with photography as a hobby?
    Shoot for money and/or sell your pictures.

You will find out when people are willing (or not willing) to pay your price for your work.

Lots of ways. You can go knock from door to door (for starters), or post an ad in CS... etc..

nowadays camera are so cheap, every XMM and XDD all have a DSLR,
    most people believe in good camera will produce good photos,
    if you want people to buy photos from, you need to let them think it is really good, else they will ask their nieces and nephews to shoot and it is free.
    if you holding a normal camera how do you convince people you can produce good photos?
    if you using an high-end camera how do you justify the spending on the gears by the earning you made?

if you go until that extend, this is no longer a hobby and it has become a job, you decide is this what you want?
    Last edited by catchlights; 9th August 2011 at 12:47 PM.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Shoot for money and/or sell your pictures.

You will find out when people are willing (or not willing) to pay your price for your work.

Lots of ways. You can go knock from door to door (for starters), or post an ad in CS... etc..
    Do u sell your pictures?
    D90|10-24mm f3.5-4.5G|70-300mm VR f/4.5-5.6G|18-105mm VR f/3.5-5.6G|35mm f/1.8|SB700|MB-D80

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    nowadays camera are so cheap, every XMM and XDD all have a DSLR,
    most people believe in good camera will produce good photos,
    if you want people to buy photos from, you need to let them think it is really good, else they will ask their nieces and nephews to shoot and it is free.
    if you holding a normal camera how do you convince people you can produce good photos?
    if you using an high-end camera how do you justify the spending on the gears by the earning you made?

if you go until that extend, this is no longer a hobby and it has become a job, you decide is this what you want?
    Actually, i was thinking not as a job, but a hobby, i shoot what i like, and maybe post somewhere to sell some of them.
    I notice u have a stock photo account, how to handle the rights? when they buy your photo, do u give them exclusive rights? Can they resell? Can they post? After they buy, can u still sell or use this picture in competition?

you can find the answers to your question here, Sell your stock images

selling stock images is very easy to start, but to see results need to be very hardworking and you should able to see results after a few years, because many stock shooters are seasoning pros and shooting it full time.

btw, shooting stock images is not shooting what you like, is shooting contents what designers want to buy.

Effectively, once you get money for pictures. But then it's not a hobby anymore, it's a (part time) job: somebody pays for the work you do. And this maybe the most important thing about the mindset. For a hobby, you decide what you like, want, keep, change.. For a job, whoever pays will dictate what you have to deliver. Whether you like it or not simply does not matter. Converting a hobby into a profession and keeping the fun and relaxed mind is something that only a very few people can achieve. Mostly in such areas with little competition and high appreciation for quality and unique products / style / ideas. If you want to sell pictures or services about pictures you are just the next boy among millions, the single ant in the heap.
    Lets discuss!
    There is a Photo Biz section for a good reason. Is doesn't matter whether you want to convert wedding snaps into money or pictures of t-shirts on hanger.
    Discussion is an exchange of ideas. So far you only ask for other people's ideas. Where are your own ideas, experiences,?
    Last edited by Octarine; 9th August 2011 at 02:18 PM.
    EOS

you can find the answers to your question here, Sell your stock images

selling stock images is very easy to start, but to see results need to be very hardworking and you should able to see results after a few years, because many stock shooters are seasoning pros and shooting it full time.
    I see, so how long have u been selling photos? Roughly, how much revenue are u able to generate like monthly?

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Effectively, once you get money for pictures. But then it's not a hobby anymore, it's a (part time) job: somebody pays for the work you do. And this maybe the most important thing about the mindset. For a hobby, you decide what you like, want, keep, change.. For a job, whoever pays will dictate what you have to deliver. Whether you like it or not simply does not matter. Converting a hobby into a profession and keeping the fun and relaxed mind is something that only a very few people can achieve. Mostly in such areas with little competition and high appreciation for quality and unique products / style / ideas. If you want to sell pictures or services about pictures you are just the next boy among millions, the single ant in the heap.

There is a Photo Biz section for a good reason. Is doesn't matter whether you want to convert wedding snaps into money or pictures of t-shirts on hanger.
    Discussion is an exchange of ideas. So far you only ask for other people's ideas. Where are your own ideas, experiences,?
    No experience cannot ask for pp.'s experience and opinion?

I see, so how long have u been selling photos? Roughly, how much revenue are u able to generate like monthly?
    I start stock images not so long compare to most stock shooters I know in this forum,
    as for the second question, this is a close guarded question among most stock shooters, I'm no exceptional.
    anyway, it can be a few hundreds to a few thousands per month depends on how big is their portfolio and are their images sellable or not.
    generally, a newbie able to receive his first $50 within his first year are consider very good.

I start stock images not so long compare to most stock shooters I know in this forum,
    as for the second question, this is a close guarded question among most stock shooters, I'm no exceptional.
    anyway, it can be a few hundreds to a few thousands per month depends on how big is their portfolio and are their images sellable or not.
    generally, a newbie able to receive his first $50 within his first year are consider very good.
    Thanks for sharing, so to do this stock photo thing, do u actually have clients telling u what is the kind of photos they need?

Thanks for sharing, so to do this stock photo thing, do u actually have clients telling u what is the kind of photos they need?
    why not u start looking at the website Catchlights posted, look at the category of the photos they have and work from there?

no, you will not know who is buying your images, you need to study what are the contents are most needed, what subjects are most popular demanded.

it is used to be photographers submit surplus images from assignments or found something interesting in their harddisk, but no longer that way nowadays.
    shooting stock images is serious business, each submitting images involve with heavy investment, (researching, planning and executing the shoot, preparing images, key wording, submitting), just look at the quality of the images in the stock image agencies, agencies will reject images in poor quality, sub standard, non marketable, wrong key wording and many other reasons.

Lets discuss!
    If it's just a sideline, you should not distract yourself from your mainline.

In which case, you should shoot to enjoy, and pick up whatever revenue that comes along.

btw, shooting stock images is not shooting what you like, is shooting contents what designers want to buy.
    I know a few people who wanted to do stock photography more heavily, used to shoot with them; after a while I just couldn't bear to shoot with them, everytime we were out it was not "this scene is nice, I want to capture it", it would be about "wow, this photograph got things that stock agency wants, I want to shoot it".

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    why not u start looking at the website Catchlights posted, look at the category of the photos they have and work from there?
    no offense, but istock is not for anybody, it is most strictest micro stock image agency, my acceptance rate of submitting images is still hovering around 77%.
    other agencies I able to have 85% to 99% acceptance rate of submitting images before I sign exclusive with istock.

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    I know a few people who wanted to do stock photography more heavily, used to shoot with them; after a while I just couldn't bear to shoot with them, everytime we were out it was not "this scene is nice, I want to capture it", it would be about "wow, this photograph got things that stock agency wants, I want to shoot it".
    stock shooters shoot what is sellable, not what they like,
    as I explain earlier, it is waste of time and energy if your images are rejected or not sellable.

no offense, but istock is not for anybody, it is most strictest micro stock image agency, my acceptance rate of submitting images is still hovering around 77%.
    other agencies I able to have 85% to 99% acceptance rate of submitting images before I sign exclusive with istock.
    ohh not offended, i am just telling TS to look at the photos on that website and those categories, as examples only. so he will have a rough idea.

no, you will not know who is buying your images, you need to study what are the contents are most needed, what subjects are most popular demanded.

it is used to be photographers submit surplus images from assignments or found something interesting in their harddisk, but no longer that way nowadays.
    shooting stock images is serious business, each submitting images involve with heavy investment, (researching, planning and executing the shoot, preparing images, key wording, submitting), just look at the quality of the images in the stock image agencies, agencies will reject images in poor quality, sub standard, non marketable, wrong key wording and many other reasons.
    Hmm... ok, then it doesn't sound so fun as a hobby now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast