Thread: Submit Your Shots for Local Mags

Default Submit Your Shots for Local Mags

Hi CSers, just wanna share something with you guys but i dunno where to post lah. So i just do it here lah. Hope the mod can help.

http://edge-sg.com/images-mag/2011/0...-of-singapore/
    Shoot first, think later

Default Re: Submit Your Shots for Local Mags

Eh..... i wish but i not up to the standard yet LOL.
    Love the life you live, live the life you love - DreamszPhoto

Quote Originally Posted by dreamsz View Post
    Eh..... i wish but i not up to the standard yet LOL.
    Just hantam lah.. U never know..
    But then i oso din send in any..
    Shoot first, think later

Quote Originally Posted by tehcbing

Just hantam lah.. U never know..
    But then i oso din send in any..
    Is there any deadline for submission??

Quote Originally Posted by donut88 View Post
    Is there any deadline for submission??
    Im not too sure.. My friend sent me this link and i just post it here..
    Shoot first, think later

ultimate cheapos in action again

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309
    ultimate cheapos in action again
    Realli ar?? Haha.. Din know abt it.. Think close the thread then..
    Wow.. Hardcore man, still up at this hour..
    Shoot first, think later

haha actually most of these magazines... rather than pay professionals... they'll put some "contest" up to get the images. then give the photog the "honor" of having the image published (at no cost) or giving a really small fee...

and after that, the photo doesn't belong to the photog anymore

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309
    haha actually most of these magazines... rather than pay professionals... they'll put some "contest" up to get the images. then give the photog the "honor" of having the image published (at no cost) or giving a really small fee...

and after that, the photo doesn't belong to the photog anymore
    Cheapo indeed.. Haha..
    Thanx mei nu for the info..
    Shoot first, think later

Quote Originally Posted by tehcbing View Post
    Hi CSers, just wanna share something with you guys but i dunno where to post lah. So i just do it here lah. Hope the mod can help.

http://edge-sg.com/images-mag/2011/0...-of-singapore/
    To the thread starter, thank you for posting this. I would just like to clarify some details about what we're doing to avoid some misunderstanding. My name is Dario Tibay and I am the Creative Director for EDGE Print Media Pte. Ltd. (Registration no. 201116729H) a newly formed company and we will be launching a photo-based magazine in Singapore entitled "Images," a unique quarterly magazine that will introduce a new concept in publishing to serve as a new channel for people to share photos and articles for others to view and read.

With photographic technology growing in leaps and bounds and cameras becoming more sophisticated and affordable, the number of people getting into photography has been rising steadily using a wide assortment of devices ranging from phone cameras, point-and-shoot compact cameras, pro-sumer cameras and DSLRs. The traditional ones would have their photos printed and collected in albums to be enjoyed by their immediate and maybe extended family at most. The more techie ones would probably store their photos in their mobile phones and show them off to a select few. Others who are internet savvy would probably share their digital photos with their friends and family via email, or social networking sites but that would be pretty much limited to who they know. Otherwise, most of the photos these people are taking are just stored in hard drives or photo CDs and DVDs. What Images magazine is offering is a medium which could reach a much wider audience with a common interest, which we feel no magazine has done so far. We aim to create a community of like-minded people—novices, casual shooters, hobbyists, enthusiasts, non-professionals, professionals—who have the same passion in photography as ours.

All the copyrights to the photographs and articles handed in to us belong to the respective individuals who submitted them and will credited and acknowledged accordingly. EDGE Print Media Pte. Ltd. only acquires the permissions to reproduce the images, including but not limited to editorial and commercial purposes such as: printing, promotions, advertising, Web, and digital publishing. Contributors are compensated by having their work published, recognized, and appreciated by their peers.

For our maiden issue, we will be having "Faces of Singapore" as our theme due to be out in October 2011. Other segments in the magazine will feature subjects such as places, travel, destinations, weddings, architecture, portraits, food, landmarks and many more.

In this light, I would like to encourage everyone to participate in this very unique medium that we are offering. You can find more information about us on our Web site. You can also find us in Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me through dario@edge-sg.com. Looking forward to hear from you. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by dariobt View Post
    To the thread starter, thank you for posting this. I would just like to clarify some details about what we're doing to avoid some misunderstanding. My name is Dario Tibay and I am the Creative Director for EDGE Print Media Pte. Ltd. (Registration no. 201116729H) a newly formed company and we will be launching a photo-based magazine in Singapore entitled "Images," a unique quarterly magazine that will introduce a new concept in publishing to serve as a new channel for people to share photos and articles for others to view and read.

We aim to create a community of like-minded people—novices, casual shooters, hobbyists, enthusiasts, non-professionals, professionals—who have the same passion in photography as ours.

All the copyrights to the photographs and articles handed in to us belong to the respective individuals who submitted them and will credited and acknowledged accordingly. EDGE Print Media Pte. Ltd. only acquires the permissions to reproduce the images, including but not limited to editorial and commercial purposes such as: printing, promotions, advertising, Web, and digital publishing. Contributors are compensated by having their work published, recognized, and appreciated by their peers.For our maiden issue, we will be having "Faces of Singapore" as our theme due to be out in October 2011. Other segments in the magazine will feature subjects such as places, travel, destinations, weddings, architecture, portraits, food, landmarks and many more.

In this light, I would like to encourage everyone to participate in this very unique medium that we are offering. You can find more information about us on our Web site. You can also find us in Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me through dario@edge-sg.com. Looking forward to hear from you. Thank you.
    Hi, Our seniors here have often advised us not to give free service,they have their reasons but perhaps it is human nature to preserve oneself.I applaud your decision to start such an online lifestyle business but this is the real world,you would probably get your income from advertisers but our compensation is only a photo credit.It is not that we are mercenary and I am not against those who are willing
    to contribute for the cheap thrill of having their names mentioned for boasting rights,it is human nature.I feel the offer is not sincere but
    I can understand that this venture may have a low capital startup and hence this appeal to human nature.In the old days it was done with an offer of a small cash prize or an equivalent product for the best entry.Wish you best of luck in this venture.
    Last edited by one eye jack; 11th September 2011 at 01:05 PM.

I see that you are the Creative Director for the magazine, when you do design or creative work for a company, do you take salary/fee or do you do it for just a credit to your name on the editorial team page? How about your editors, office clerks, accountant, or your vendors like the printers? Do they take a salary or a fee? Or do they all get paid with just credits to their name?

When I shoot for magazines, just like many other photographers on clubsnap here, we get paid full rates AND we get the due photo credits. AND the work done is for editorial purposes ONLY. For other purposes, renegotiate for more considerations.

While I can understand a startup non-mass circulation publication might need low cost work or even free work (ethically), I cannot understand your intention behind securing rights to commercial purposes and advertising. Especially the line "including but not limited to..." raise a red flag to me. It is such a blanket statement. I wanted to believe you are not one of those people suggested by kei1309, I really hope so because local photography magazines are non-existant, but I find it hard to trust a never-heard-of publication without a track record of good business integrity towards readers and contributors, especially when you are asking for free work in your very first issue.

For all we know, you may be here now for a few months for that never-heard-of-magazine, and back to Philippines with XXXX numbers of commercially viable images you procured here. If I can do that then my next business will be a stock photo agency selling the pictures I procured.

And that blanket clause is especially disturbing, even if the photographer does not mind helping you and is willing, he or she does not have control on how you use the images thereafter. Do you have a fair clause in return to INDEMNIFY and hold the photographer harmless for all and every claim made in case of lawsuits?

Seriously, your pitch does not sing to me, photographers can get more exposure thru selective social media like flickr or even clubsnap, than a print media, which btw I am more inclined to believe clubsnap had way more viewership than your magazine. How many copies are printed for circulation per issue?

Quote Originally Posted by dariobt View Post

With photographic technology growing in leaps and bounds and cameras becoming more sophisticated and affordable, the number of people getting into photography has been rising steadily using a wide assortment of devices ranging from phone cameras, point-and-shoot compact cameras, pro-sumer cameras and DSLRs. The traditional ones would have their photos printed and collected in albums to be enjoyed by their immediate and maybe extended family at most. The more techie ones would probably store their photos in their mobile phones and show them off to a select few. Others who are internet savvy would probably share their digital photos with their friends and family via email, or social networking sites but that would be pretty much limited to who they know. Otherwise, most of the photos these people are taking are just stored in hard drives or photo CDs and DVDs. What Images magazine is offering is a medium which could reach a much wider audience with a common interest, which we feel no magazine has done so far. We aim to create a community of like-minded people—novices, casual shooters, hobbyists, enthusiasts, non-professionals, professionals—who have the same passion in photography as ours.

All the copyrights to the photographs and articles handed in to us belong to the respective individuals who submitted them and will credited and acknowledged accordingly. EDGE Print Media Pte. Ltd. only acquires the permissions to reproduce the images, including but not limited to editorial and commercial purposes such as: printing, promotions, advertising, Web, and digital publishing. Contributors are compensated by having their work published, recognized, and appreciated by their peers.

For our maiden issue, we will be having "Faces of Singapore" as our theme due to be out in October 2011. Other segments in the magazine will feature subjects such as places, travel, destinations, weddings, architecture, portraits, food, landmarks and many more.

Last edited by JasonB; 11th September 2011 at 01:48 PM.

Not sure if CS can embed, but view this video, exactly every single word he said.

Creative industry, editorial and news industry, is all suffering and going downhill because of people in the very same industry trying to cannibalise, take advantage of and shortchange another peer in the same industry.
    Last edited by ed9119; 12th September 2011 at 11:06 PM.

Now Dario, you are a creative director/designer, I'll show you a video from a creative director/designer, maybe you can relate better:

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you
    Last edited by ed9119; 12th September 2011 at 11:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    Not sure if CS can embed, but view this video, exactly every single word he said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj5IV23g-fE

Creative industry, editorial and news industry, is all suffering and going downhill because of people in the very same industry trying to cannibalise, take advantage of and shortchange another peer in the same industry.
    In a downturn "funny" things happen,traditional media is trying their best to stave off new media but even Media Corp just take new media
    as a all inclusive marketing idea to pitch to it's avertisers claiming one can "target" different segments of customers thus providing a one stop solution and why not they own most of the media here.I remember during one of the last recession or two when a mute came knocking to sell a raffle ticket from some charitable ngo I have never heard of but being human I bought one to help him but afterwards I suspected he might be an able bodied person because his body language was suspect.In this reality,all play by the same rules but then
    being human the self preservation instinct kicks in.... for better or worse.
    Last edited by one eye jack; 11th September 2011 at 03:34 PM.

Blog Entries

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj5IV23g-fE

There you go:

What's new? Another cheap attempt to build up the photo library.....

To dariobt,

You are indeed a downright disgrace to the creative industry esp as a CD. Now stock images are already cheap like dirt (istock/dreamstime) yet you have to resort to this medium to get free pics.
    Inferiority Complex Behavior Signature: A900.D3x.M9..I have this and that blah blah...

Blog Entries

Thanks JasonB for pointing out this youtube clip
    video's also posted to the Clubsnap Photography Community FB page
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/ClubSNAP.Community
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast